Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds Cutting Out

bradfr

I have a pair of wetsounds Pro60 speakers on my tower that keep cutting out when turned up to about 75% volume. They are being run by a JL audio amplifier, I will have to look at the model to be sure what it is. The problem is at higher volumes the speakers will still work but its like I lose the treble. I still hear the midrange working fine but the treble drops to almost nothing. Does this sound like an issue with the amplifier or the speakers themselves?

At a certain point the horns will go into a protect mode to keep from hurting themselves. Is it only doing this after an extended period of playing a higher volumes?

Which amp are you running?

I would look at your amp gains, sounds like you have them set too high and are getting too much distortion to the horn.

As pointed out, that feature is by design to protect the tweeters.

Too much equalization can create too much power also without sounding substantially louder. If you want max output then set everything flat.

An amplifier driven into clipping can produce continuous power well in excess of its rated power, although distorted.

If that protection device on the crossover board has been triggered too many times there is a possibility that it has become more sensitive over time. Check in with Wetsounds service on this.

I have always found that by the time this protection feature was activated that the speaker was well past sounding stressed. Set your maximum volume usage in a quiet setting and early with fresh ears. Then stick to that numeric value no matter what.

So I finally had a chance to take a look what amplifier I have driving the speakers. It is a jl audio xd400 amp. It is a 4 channel amp that is bridged to feed only the 2 wetsounds speakers. I need to pull the cover off to see what the gain settings look like.

• 6 years later...
22 hours ago, Anna said:

How do you fix this problem I have a a22 2018 and it has been in the shop 5 times for tower speakers cutting out 

Assuming this is a bigger issue than a tweeter-only protection circuit, and not knowing all the particulars, let's take a typical service scenario. You take in the boat and they play the tower speakers at a level they deem to be at a maximum safe volume level, and the speakers do not cut out. So they're frozen as to their next step until they can duplicate the issue. While that may seem reasonable, it doesn't help much with a frustrated boat owner. Then the question becomes what is the difference between your experience and theirs. Is the difference a) the volume level, b) vibration, c) voltage, d) temperature, e) duration, f) tone or EQ settings, g) source, such as genre, compression, pre-EQ'd downloads. As long as the shop is willing to continue working on the problem, sometimes as the boat owner you can help yourself, and them, by filling in the blanks as to the conditions under which it cuts out. Next step, they send you on your way with a temporary change, perhaps an inconvenience at a time of year when you want everything to be right, but a temporary change that is intended to isolate the cause.