Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help! Engine won't turn over?

Jetstream

Okay it's been awhile since I posted but I thought we were ready to go hit the lake this week. As usual the fun sucking gremlins have come back.

Pulled the boat out of storage closed all the drain plugs, installed a new raw water impeller, checked to see that both batteries are fully charged and fuel in the tank. Grabbed the key and proceeded to start the engine. Wallah . Nothing. It keeps cranking but nothing, it won't turn over. Finally looked like I drained the battery so back to the charger it went. Any ideas?? All the wires are tight and secure, anything taken off in the winter has been put back.

Should I pull the plugs and spray starter fluid in each opening or take off the flame arrestor and spray the inlet? I'm drawing blanks and nobody is happy.

The engine did turn over when it was dropped off after we purchased it last august, but due to an injury (another post) we never got to use the boat since we bought it. It's a giant paperweight in the barn.

do the gauges come up on key-up? Safety lanyard is the easiest culprit. When pulled you get no gauges on key-up and the boat will crank but not fire.

Yes the gauges come on and I also checked lanyard kill switch. All the fuses appear normal. The motor just keeps cranking but wont turn over. I looked at the fuel rail and released any air that was trapped in the lines but it was good. Going to head back out in about an hour and try again. Never a dull day.

ok, so you describe that it just keeps cranking but won't turn over. big difference in what you are actually saying. if you are able to crank the motor over than it is actually turning over, it seems that its more of it is not firing. have you checked to make sure you have fuel? how about spark? i'm not a fan of starting fluid and you should never pull any plugs and spray it into the cylinders. I use a water bottle with just a little gas. punch a small hole in the cap with a nail and you can squirt a small amount of gas in that way. if it fires for a few seconds, you have some sort of fuel problem. again check spark before going through all of this.

• Like 2

I may just be nit picky but this thread is driving me crazy. According to websters

Crank: To start or operate (an engine, for example), in my world this means it is running

Turn over: cause to rotate or revolve, in my world this means that the starter is engaged, the flywheel is rotating, but the engine has not started.

It's hard to keep up with what the issue really is.

If it is turning over, but not cranking, it is most likely fuel or fire. Check for spark, if you have that, check for fuel.

Edited by longbeard

fuel

air

spark

I predict it will be one of the three

it sat for awhile, but i don't think 'bad' gas is the case as it still would probably fire but run poorly.

fuel/water separator?

fuel filter?

Edited by Kalamazoo

it cranks but doesn't fire. Neutral safety switch prevents cranking while in gear.

Oh, that's right. Sorry, I haven't started a boat in a while!

Jetstream:

-do you smell fuel?

-who winterized it, did you do it yourself?

-how many seconds did you turn it over?

I'd say for further clarification:

"Crank" and "Turn over" mean the same thing to me. It means the starter is rotating the flywheel and the attached components.

"Fire" means it starts and runs.

I'd say for further clarification:

"Crank" and "Turn over" mean the same thing to me. It means the starter is rotating the flywheel and the attached components.

"Fire" means it starts and runs.

May be a northern/southern thing? When someone asks me if the engine will crank, I assume they are asking if it will start and run. You assume they are asking if it will turn over? Interesting.

new rules...you can no longer use turn over, crank, start, runs or fire. all future communications must be through the use of pictures, colors and symbols only. words are too confusing apparently.

• Like 2

new rules...you can no longer use turn over, crank, start, runs or fire. all future communications must be through the use of pictures, colors and symbols only. words are too confusing apparently.

I promise, I was not trying to be a jerk about it. When I read the title of the thread tho, I was assuming a dead battery, or it was not in neutral. Reading further in you realize that it is indeed turning over, just wont start, fire, or whatever. So........boat will not :blowup:

Edited by longbeard

I guess your right I'm not making myself clear, sorry about that.

The boat is in neutral , I've checked the kill switch and the gauges all come to life and the chime sounds when I turn the key on. I pull the neutral lockout switch out and advance the throttle about a quarter and try to start. The flywheel and belt turn (I see this since the engine cover is open) but it won't start . I try this for about four times and wait and try again.

Should I hear the fuel pump activating or priming just before I try and start it? When I push down on the valve on the fuel rail fuel does come out so I feel that I am getting fuel to the injectors.

As far as winterizing the boat, I put stabil in the tank and opened all the drain plugs so as there was no water in the block all winter. I did NOT put a defogger in the system or run anything through the lines. The boat has been sitting since August but it did start when it arrived from Michigan to Denver. I started it let it cycle for about a minute and has sat since then. Going out to the barn and try it again. I will let you know how it turns out.

I had a similar issue a while back and it turned out that it was indeed the fuel pump that had gone out. I beleive that it should be pushing like 40 PSI to the fuel rail, mine would push gas out as well, but not nearly the pressure that it needed to be. May be worth putting a guage on your fuel rail to see if you are getting enough fuel pressure to start. Before I did that tho, I would first check and make sure that you are getting a good spark on your plugs.

And yes, I hear my fuel pump prime when I turn the key, you should hear it prime and change sounds as it builds up the necessary pressure.

Edited by longbeard

Well I tried it again with both batteries and nothing.

I turned the key to the accessory position and did not here the fuel pump prime. Could it possible have gone bad just sitting for nine months?? I'm going to have to look and try and find where it even is.

Thanks for the help. It might be going in to the shop.

I'm pretty sure you can rent a pressure gauge for free from auto parts stores to check pressure at the rail...may be a good step before hauling her down to the shop.

I'm pretty sure you can rent a pressure gauge for free from auto parts stores to check pressure at the rail...may be a good step before hauling her down to the shop.

:plus1:

Most auto part stores will loan you the gauge no charge.

Agreed.