Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub amp won't turn

jmiller2496

There is power to the amp. It has to be something with the remote wire. There are two amps. The first is for the speaker, that gets the remote wore from the stereo then there is another remote wire that goes from there to the amp for the sub.

When I was testing the remote wire the light for the sub amp turned on but shortly after I took it off it shut off again.

Any ideas?

Everything worked good last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check both12v lead + 12 v remote wire with multimeter. If the both look good you may have a bad ground or your amp is toast.

After a long winter there is always a strong possibility of weak voltage.

Two amplifiers may not have the identical turn-on voltage threshold.

Check the voltage across the amplifier terminals just like MLA suggested. First check across the primary terminals and then check across the remote trigger (with HU 'On') and primary ground terminal.

A poor ground will be indicated by a low voltage reading.

Then also measure across the battery terminals.

If one reading is substantially lower than the others then this will help narrow your focus.

Using a multimeter and measurements in general can often put a quick halt to the ongoing speculation.

you could always eliminate the other amp, try connecting the power + remote from the other amp and see if it powers up normally.

Should there be current (wire tester light up) through the remote wire? Cause there is none.

I don't think the battery is weak it had plenary of power to tie the engine over.

Do not test the amp turn-on circuit with a 12V test light, unless it is an LED test light. Those with a traditional incandescent automotive bulb, can actually smoke the circuit inside the head-unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever see people having issues with stereos after winterizing with shrink wrap? It wasn't a marine stereo but is that a realistic cause?

Wrapping up a not so dry boat for the off season, or having the wrap leak a little, can be rough on electronics, carpet and vinyl. Corrosion can be accelerated on non-marine electronics in that case.