Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Small generator

Dalton68

Just bought one of these, partly for use on the boat when parked and running the stereo all day. I have a couple batteries but 3 amps and after 6-7 hours it cuts out and I have to shut it down. This generator will charge the batteries and also provide power. Runs 12 hours on .6 gal of fuel ,weighs 26lbs.

Just wondering if anyone else does something like this.

My purchase wasn't just for the boat , I'll take it home and use for other things like camping or whatever. I've read they are really quiet but not sure how much exhaust or heat it will produce so I'm not sure where i would put it while running except maybe the swim step (on a piece of wood possibly).

EF1000iS.jpg

What did that run you, you could always throw it up in the bow away from everyone but I would make sure it's not going to hurt the vinyl with heat.

What did that run you, you could always throw it up in the bow away from everyone but I would make sure it's not going to hurt the vinyl with heat.

They aren't cheap! Found one for $680 but amazon has them for about $750 or so. My plan is to keep it like new, keep the box, manuals, etc and if in 1-2 years I just don't use it I can sell it for $600ish. I'm sure I will use it often though.

Yeah I will run it to see how hot it gets, more worried about exhaust.

There's a local stereo shop here that will install bigger gennys in the boat, run fans and exhaust lines. I'm actually surprised this isn't an facotry option since a lot of people run big stereos.

I could even run a blender from it ! which i will.

I run the stereo (2 amps, 1100 watts) & an inverter for the blender & cell chargers on the batteries alone (1 starter & 1 deep cycle). 6 or 7 hours is definitely longer than we've done it, but I've never had a problem with 4 or 5 at a time & no generator needed.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I run the stereo (2 amps, 1100 watts) & an inverter for the blender & cell chargers on the batteries alone (1 starter & 1 deep cycle). 6 or 7 hours is definitely longer than we've done it, but I've never had a problem with 4 or 5 at a time & no generator needed.

Yes, same here. But last 2 times out we went longer than 6 hours. A long day !! and the stereo sound started cutting out, battery was drained. I think 6 hours may be about my max depending on volume. I could've added a 3rd battery and solved the problem cheaper but I can get more use out of this generator.

I'm running almost 5k watts on 4 odyssey batteries totaling 550 amp hrs and get approx 5-6 hours of run time currently

I would not want to run that sitting anywhere in the boat. You have live 120v power running on the water. If inside you can definitely melt the vinyl. The platform is way to close to the water. If this thing does not have a GFI you could really hurt someone.

They aren't cheap! Found one for $680 but amazon has them for about $750 or so. My plan is to keep it like new, keep the box, manuals, etc and if in 1-2 years I just don't use it I can sell it for $600ish. I'm sure I will use it often though.

Yeah I will run it to see how hot it gets, more worried about exhaust.

There's a local stereo shop here that will install bigger gennys in the boat, run fans and exhaust lines. I'm actually surprised this isn't an facotry option since a lot of people run big stereos.

I could even run a blender from it ! which i will.

Bought a Ryobi (super super quiet) 2200 cranking amps for $600 at Home Depot. Very similar to the quiet Hondas. Unfortunately it wont run an air conditioner unit in our trailer and barely a microwave. It brings the batts amps up but nothing like a trickle charge would as they fall off once back in use.

Edited by saidainc
There is a big motor with an alternator on it already in your boat. Why not fire that up for a little while every couple of hours? Maybe get a bigger alternator in there so it can be more effective.

Beat me to it

On my first boat I ran 1 battery, a less efficient system, ran 5-6 hours at time at the sand bar, and just started the boat every now and then. Carried a jump it and rarely had to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a Ryobi (super super quiet) 2200 cranking amps for $600 at Home Depot. Very similar to the quiet Hondas. Unfortunately it wont run an air conditioner unit in our trailer and barely a microwave. It brings the batts amps up but nothing like a trickle charge would as they fall off once back in use.

Have you tried turning the fan on first and then kick it into AC after the fan is up to speed? My little Honda EU2000 can run the Ac in my RV if you do it that way. Other wise it wont handle it. Also had to take it off the Econo mode and let it rev hard. Then we bought the new motorhome with the 7000W gen built in. More power!

Mount it at the top of the stripper pole. Noise and exhaust will be above you then. The rest of the pole is still usable....

• Like 4

lol i have been doing this for years. i bought a honda 2000es b/c i needed the extra output. a lot more efficient than running the boat for 30-40 min with gas being $4.25+ p/g and like u said u can use it for camping as well. i put mine in the front bow sitting on my wind brake board and a towel over that. i also put a towel (thick) over the front bow so the exhaust doesn't burn or stain the seats. i used a progressive dynamics converter fyi. good luck and i think its a lot more efficient than running your boat and putting the extra hrs on the motor.

Edited by hyperlite

Have you tried turning the fan on first and then kick it into AC after the fan is up to speed? My little Honda EU2000 can run the Ac in my RV if you do it that way. Other wise it wont handle it. Also had to take it off the Econo mode and let it rev hard. Then we bought the new motorhome with the 7000W gen built in. More power!

IM GOING TO TRY THIS! Most of my buddies set up their EUs in tandem and I am just too cheap to go get another.

lol i have been doing this for years. i bought a honda 2000es b/c i needed the extra output. a lot more efficient than running the boat for 30-40 min with gas being $4.25+ p/g and like u said u can use it for camping as well. i put mine in the front bow sitting on my wind brake board and a towel over that. i also put a towel (thick) over the front bow so the exhaust doesn't burn or stain the seats. i used a progressive dynamics converter fyi. good luck and i think its a lot more efficient than running your boat and putting the extra hrs on the motor.

Thanks for the info, no way I would want to put the extra hours on my boat motor just to run the stereo. not only that but I can't see an alternator at idle keeping up with what my 80amp on board charger can.

Yes, same here. But last 2 times out we went longer than 6 hours. A long day !! and the stereo sound started cutting out, battery was drained. I think 6 hours may be about my max depending on volume. I could've added a 3rd battery and solved the problem cheaper but I can get more use out of this generator.

Thats your boat telling you it's time to RIDE!!

Sounds like you need a pontoon boat.

• Like 3

IM GOING TO TRY THIS! Most of my buddies set up their EUs in tandem and I am just too cheap to go get another.

Disclaimer!!!!!! It does not work on all AC units but it has worked on about half the ones we tried. Helped cool down the rv at the end of the day on the lake.

I'm with Trent, you're crazy running a genny in the bow. Zip zap dead people floating.

Thankfully I get restless, we inflate a party island then anchor that, and go out surfing or boarding every few hours.

The generator won't kill everyone in the water if that happens (gets wet). It has a breaker (GFI) and of course I will make some rules as with everything else. The generator wouldn't run all day, just enough to get the batteries up again, maybe 30 minutes.

it would be cheaper to add two more batteries, maybe, but a generator I can use offseason, at home, etc. Serves more purpose.

Some friends say the same thing, "just start the boat & run for 20-30 minutes" but I don't want to add hours, run an expensive motor for a stereo, or breath the fumes from a much bigger motor. OR have someone bump the throttle and all hell breaks loose.

I'll be in havasu over memorial day weekend and will try this generator out. I'll post back if I fry everyone in the lake.

Also it is my understanding that running the boat at idle to charge the batteries could take 3 hours. Plus it's not good to run the alternator on a drained battery over and over.

Edited by Dalton68

Also it is my understanding that running the boat at idle to change the batteries could take 3 hours. Plus it's not good to run the alternator on a drained battery over and over.

Why?

You sure are making things tough. I don't see any reason for any of this.

You should have your starter and deep cycle isolated from each other. The starter should never get drained, or used for anything other than starting the boat. This eliminates the issue of the alternator cranking using a weak battery.

• Like 3

You should have your starter and deep cycle isolated from each other. The starter should never get drained, or used for anything other than starting the boat. This eliminates the issue of the alternator cranking using a weak battery.

I do. It goes back to the main problem. My stereo battery goes dead after 6 hours. Yea the starter battery is fine but this means no more sound and the boat has to charge the other battery back up. The problem isn't my boat won't start. I'm solving a problem of no tunes because of no power.

Why?

You sure are making things tough. I don't see any reason for any of this.

Why what ?

The reason is just as stated above. Stereo runs down the battery after 6 hours. The alternatives are

1) run the engine on the boat at idle for awhile to hopefully charge the battery some (this is stupid to do)

2) get more batteries

3) don't use the stereo as much

4) get an external power source ie generator (which happens to run all day on 1/2 gal of fuel)

btw, ran the generator for an hour yesterday and it doesn't get hot. The exhaust isn't really hot either but its warm. For my purposes this will work out well !!

I do. It goes back to the main problem. My stereo battery goes dead after 6 hours. Yea the starter battery is fine but this means no more sound and the boat has to charge the other battery back up. The problem isn't my boat won't start. I'm solving a problem of no tunes because of no power.

Why what ?

The reason is just as stated above. Stereo runs down the battery after 6 hours. The alternatives are

1) run the engine on the boat at idle for awhile to hopefully charge the battery some (this is stupid to do)

2) get more batteries

3) don't use the stereo as much

4) get an external power source ie generator (which happens to run all day on 1/2 gal of fuel)

btw, ran the generator for an hour yesterday and it doesn't get hot. The exhaust isn't really hot either but its warm. For my purposes this will work out well !!

1: Unless you have a tiny alternator or a huge onboard charger, the alternator is going to charge the batteries way faster than the onboard charger. Running the engine is stupid yet bringing on a separate, expensive, generator to go DC to AC back to DC to charge the batteries is smart? Could get noise introduced into the stereo while it is running as well.

2. Cheaper than your generator and wouldn't have to mess with anything

3. I personally don't see the point in having a wake boat then spending 8+ hours straight anchored out never doing anything. Might as well be more comfortable on a Pontoon if that's all you are going to do, but everyone has their own situations so I'm not judging

4. Expensive solution, kind of ghetto seeing a generator running in the bow, easy to damage either the boat or expensive generator while it is in use.