Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not able to break 30 mph

Hey all,

Been an interesting first few weeks back on the water (busted pipe on heater core, lost bimini top, etc) and now have come across something new. I can't seem to break 30 mph at full throttle with our without people. It's been this way since the start of the season. I don't think it's throwing any codes as nothing has appeared indicating so, Oil was changed during winterization, is there something else I should be checking?

Thanks for the help!

Prop looks good and not running rough at all. In fact it's running really solid except for not being able to break 30. I haven't checked the fuel filter, is that a hard thing to get too? Never done it before (only my second boating season so i'm learning all this as I go).

should be an in-line filter below the center back seat near the v drive. You could check fuel pressure at WOT to see if that's your problem. You should be running about 60 psi. You can rent the tool free at any auto parts store.

it definitely sounds like you may have a fuel filter issue. If you have to change it out it is very easy to get too and you can change it out in just a few minutes. in the past i have gone to NAPA auto parts and have gotten replacement fuel filters, i can't remember how much they were but it wasn't very much.

That's awesome, I may just do it for maintenance sakes anyway then and hopefully it'll resolve the issue. Appreciate all the help guys

fuel filter NAPA part# 3299

you may have to clean the screen on the inlet side of the fuel pump-- they tend to gum up-- you'll know if your engine screams-- abnormal high pitched sound

This is out on a limb but I remember a few years back I had a similar thing with my boat. Couldn't figure it out and then for fun I checked the transmission fluid and it was low so I topped it up. After that problem went away. Not sure if low transmission fluid was the actual problem but like I said once I topped it up, problem went away and boat reached the mph it was supposed to.

Edited by oceanbu

If it's the fuel filter, one indication of a bad fuel filter is that the fuel pump will have a really high pitched shrill scream. I guess the pump is cooled by the gas & if it's starved for fuel, it will do this.

Should be pretty easy to check for this sound & the trans fluid level.

Good luck with it. Hope it's something simple.

Make sure you point the arrow the correct way or you'll starve your motor for fuel. You should also swap fuel filter every other year at a minimum.

Well this engine is only a year old now (the guy who had it prior didn't winterize it properly, cracked the block, and Malibu replaced it shockingly so I got the boat with only .6 hours on it). I'll check the tranny fluid but now that you guys mention the high pitch noise I believe I may have noticed that recently.

As for perhaps the Speedo being off, I don't think that's the case, all my friends boats (Tige's, Supra's, other Bu's) are just leaving me in the dust now when last year I had no problems keeping up with them.

Formula, from my understanding when replacing the fuel filter i'm replacing two parts actually. I assume that's one of them and Napa Part #3299 would be the other one?

formulaben

Can't say for sure on your model, but I believe there is a secondary "high pressure" fuel filter/water separator associated with the fuel injection on the engine itself. I'm sure someone here knows more about it, but what I do know is on my model it is not part of the normal preventative maintenance so the part number is not published in the manual, unlike the main fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, etc.

This thread will give you the general idea...but again, your newer model may be different.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31276-need-fuelwater-filterseparator-part-number/

Anyone able to give me the location of these filters and a quick how to on replacement (I'm a computer guy, learning this boat mechanic stuff)? Can't find anything on youtube, indmar's site, here (closest I got was a 2006), or google.

What motor do you have, not sure if that makes a difference on the fuel filter though. Mine is actually in the tank and is accessed from under the middle back seat. You need snap ring pliers to remove the ring then you just pull the whole thing out, the fuel line from the engine going to mine is orange. Make sure you release the preasure from the lines before removing anything. It's a very small paper filter that can be bought at any Napa store, I just took mine in and they knew exactly what to get me. It looks nothing like the filter PAXCAM mentioned in his post.

Edited by calilsv

Replacing fuel filters isn't usually covered by warranty. Your boat will have an inline fuel filter located near the fuel tank sending unit. Just a few bucks at the auto parts store and it's easy to remove and replace. You may or may not have the high pressure filter located at the engine. You'll have to look and see if its there.

It was under warranty Electric, but only a year, not that this was covered anyway apparently haha.

I'll go buy this part and look for it tomorrow. Thanks again for the help guys

my '08 vlx does not have inline filters.

The only fuel filter on my boat are the socks on the intake to the fuel pump.

The brown socks at the bottom of the black part are the old filters.

DSC_6671.jpg

Edited by Cervelo