Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Summerization/Up Keep

I only have 5 things on my list of stuff to do before I bring the boat down to school.

1. Change oil

2. Change impeller

3. tighten all clamps, nuts, bolts, screws, etc...

4. Grease wheels and ruddar

5. Change Spark Plugs

What does everyone else do? What should I do? This will be our second season with the boat and I have no idea what the previous owners maintenance schedule was like. There are a few things I have been wondering about, changing the fuel filter, water/fuel seperator (is there one?), transmission fluid, cap and rotor, and other stuff. I am not sure how often this needs to be done and for all I know it may never have been done...the boat has over 500 hours on it so I want to keep the motor/tranny in perfect shape!

You could change the cap, rotor, and wires based on condition but, you'd have to know what you're looking for. The list you have already is a good start. The stuff I mentioned is just a precaution.

Changing the tranny fluid would be a good idea too, if you've got the right tools to make it easy on yourself.

I don't know what tools it requires to change the transmission fluid...so I don't know if I have them :lol:

In other words Pete, so what's a mobile service trip up to salem run? Biggrin.gif

Edited by Addictedto6
I don't know what tools it requires to change the transmission fluid...so I don't know if I have them :lol:

Any type of oil extractor will do the job. I use a Tempo Oil Boy for both the oil & tranny, it works well. You can only expect to pull about half of the tranny fluid out, but as long as you're changing it every season it should be fine (I think that they call for tranny fluid to be changed once per season or every 300 hours, whichever comes first).

Any type of oil extractor will do the job. I use a Tempo Oil Boy for both the oil & tranny, it works well. You can only expect to pull about half of the tranny fluid out, but as long as you're changing it every season it should be fine (I think that they call for tranny fluid to be changed once per season or every 300 hours, whichever comes first).

Or the poor boy way use a turkey baster.

In addition to the aove listed items:

Check the timing belt.

Use carb cleaner to clean the spark arrestor.

Check the timing belt.

Yeah,

Check the timing belt and make sure it's still a timing chain.

You can only expect to pull about half of the tranny fluid out

Why do you say that? I usually get 1.8 qts. out and that's what the capacity is, supposedly.

Like I said, I get out almost 2 qts. and that's what the book says they hold. Are you saying you're only getting about a qt. out?

Do the fuel filter. It is a bit of a pain. You have to take the front (twords the bow) section of the trunk out to get to the filter. After that it is pretty easy.

Do the fuel filter. It is a bit of a pain. You have to take the front (twords the bow) section of the trunk out to get to the filter. After that it is pretty easy.

There are two fuel filters so do them both. And yes, they are different.

Where is the second one? Where do you buy your filters at?

Also, I remember a thread a while back where someone with a 1998-2000 Sunsetter LX mentioned all of the parts ie spark plugs, wires, filters, etc... but I can't remember what post that was and who did it?

There are two fuel filters so do them both. And yes, they are different.

What he said.

Also, I remember a thread a while back where someone with a 1998-2000 Sunsetter LX mentioned all of the parts ie spark plugs, wires, filters, etc... but I can't remember what post that was and who did it?

The fuel filter is located behind the removable front panel inside the rear trunk. The other filter is the oil/water separator up on the rear port side of the engine in a canister looking element.

Spark lugs are AC Delco MR43LTS the gap spacing is(0.045 in (1.1 mm).

Johnson 812B impeller

Fuel Filter # Wix #33299

GM/Delco cap & rotor, Accel wires for a 5.7L 350 will work fine.

Oil Filter Napa Gold 1069

or

Pennzoil PZ3

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Fram PH30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

Inline filter pre 2002 is Wix 33033 - it's a 3/8" line. The new 1/2" line is a Wix 33299.

And if after checking that timing belt you find that it turned into a chain, you better call me for service. You don't want to risk taking the boat out if the belt turned into a chain.

• 1 year later...

The fuel filter is located behind the removable front panel inside the rear trunk. The other filter is the oil/water separator up on the rear port side of the engine in a canister looking element.

Johnson 812B impeller

Fuel Filter # Wix #33299

or

Pennzoil PZ3

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Fram PH30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

Inline filter pre 2002 is Wix 33033 - it's a 3/8" line. The new 1/2" line is a Wix 33299.

Would all of this be applicable to a 99 Sporty? 350 310hP

• 5 years later...

Johnson 812B impeller

Fuel Filter # Wix #33299

or

Pennzoil PZ3

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Fram PH30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

Does anyone know the part number for the PCV Valve on a 2001 Monsoon?

Don't buy this one.

It doesn't quite fit right.

You need to un-bolt the fuel injector rail to get the PCV valve out. Once you get it out, take it down to a NAPA store and have them match it up to a 95 Chevy Suburban with a 350.