Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Custom Throttle Knob.

CumminsBu

This thread got my fab juices flowing. I went a little ol' skool. Had an eight ball laying around. Busted out the the drill and tap. Voila!

9864ECC4-B1C5-4765-B908-89553E6C89FF_zps

Nice - if only it were that easy for the newer style shifters with the button in the center of the knob instead of the pullup.

• 1 month later...

My shifter knob fell apart last week at Lake Powell. I tried to use liquid nails to put it back together, but Malibu did a beautiful thing by making it out of shiny smooth metal that nothing can stick to.

Any other ideas guys, since I am now in the market for a new shifter knob?

Found this website, but suspect they are going to run $100+. I found one of his cheap ones, he says were $65.

http://www.koolknobs.com/samples.html

But having a shifter knob with spent 50 caliber casings in it would be pretty sweet.

Edited by TallRedRider

I bought one of Ebay from China for $14 dollars that works and looks fine. I was concerned at first but it was only a few bucks..when I went to pull the link for you and the price is now $130, they must have made a conversion error or typo when I bought it, Ha???

Not worth that much IMO but certainly thought it was a deal at $14 shipped.. :whistle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380822646578?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Edited by jcon44

I bought one of Ebay from China for $14 dollars that works and looks fine. I was concerned at first but it was only a few bucks..when I went to pull the link for you and the price is now $130, they must have made a conversion error or typo when I bought it, Ha???

Not worth that much IMO but certainly thought it was a deal at $14 shipped.. :whistle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380822646578?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jcon,

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a red one from them for $13.09. It is exactly like the blue one for $130. I think it is a typo. Probably a yen to dollars conversion problem. For that price, I will give it a go also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380820286732?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jcon,

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a red one from them for $13.09. It is exactly like the blue one for $130. I think it is a typo. Probably a yen to dollars conversion problem. For that price, I will give it a go also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380820286732?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Its worth the money for $13, they seem to be good quality. I received it in about 10 days even though the estimated shipping was over a month away. slightly taller than the stock one but I don't even notice it now.

I just ordered one of the $13 dollar deals (in black). If it sucks it is only $13 and still likely nicer than the plastic black ball that is on there currently.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Skibumm, I think you are going to be disappointed. My 'red' throttle knob was actually pink. It is not the same red that is in the picture, that is for sure. I asked them if they maybe sent me the wrong one, and they said no. They then told me to keep it and just refunded me the money. So customer service was top notch, but my red knob is actually pink.

Then after taking the old one off, I realized that there is an allen wrench spot that allows you to put it together. So my original is still functional anyway. I will get a picture of the pink one some day, and might even keep using it for a while. It does add character to the boat. Let me know if yours is the same color red as in the pictures on Ebay.

I just ordered one of the $13 dollar deals (in black). If it sucks it is only $13 and still likely nicer than the plastic black ball that is on there currently.

I was thinking along the same lines. The only thing i didn't like about it was the rudder like insert instead of a threaded metal piece. I can see what they did it but i would have preferred something already threaded. Not sure if it makes sense from my explaination but you will know what I'm talking about when you see it. Its held up fine so far, I've had mine on for a month or so.

Sorry, Skibumm, I think you are going to be disappointed. My 'red' throttle knob was actually pink. It is not the same red that is in the picture, that is for sure. I asked them if they maybe sent me the wrong one, and they said no. They then told me to keep it and just refunded me the money. So customer service was top notch, but my red knob is actually pink.

Then after taking the old one off, I realized that there is an allen wrench spot that allows you to put it together. So my original is still functional anyway. I will get a picture of the pink one some day, and might even keep using it for a while. It does add character to the boat. Let me know if yours is the same color red as in the pictures on Ebay.

The one I got from rexmarine above is a nice bright red even 4 years later & just as inexpensive...............

Mine just came apart 3 weeks ago. Figured out the allen wrench thing and it went back together good as new.

I took a picture of my new pink throttle knob. Interestingly, it looks more red in my picture, almost as red as it does in theirs. Note the contrast though to the key floatie in the background, which is very red. Sorry for the poor pic, but I think the contrast is good with another color red in the background.

20140716_181702_zpsdeulcmfi.jpg

Mine showed up. Cheap Chinese knock-off for sure; no confusing this for a real Momo knob. Still looks better than the factory plastic ball but not nearly as nice as the Isotta Viper knob Malib used for a few years.

Sadly, it doesn't install as nicely as some for me. My plastic pull-up disc that let you put the transmission in/out of gear is too close to the threads. If I try to install it with the bottom trim ring it causes the knob to sit too high and the set screws (which are too high IMO) then have no metal to press against and the knob won't stay attached. I ended up having to install it without the trim ring. I'll probably keep it until I find an Isotta Viper knob for a sane price. Here some pics of the knock off:

fd3fcc.jpg

71bbdb.jpg

2b9c97.jpg

66c618.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 5/12/2014 at 1:16 PM, Tracktor said:

That's it! I have the red one and it's been great no fading..............

Couple years later.... I bought the black Rexmar knob. I happen to have a Morse control on the golf cart too. The Rexmark has held up really well, no fading or scratches.

20170821_131402_zpsgoehzjib.jpg

On 8/21/2017 at 1:20 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

Couple years later.... I bought the black Rexmar knob. I happen to have a Morse control on the golf cart too. The Rexmark has held up really well, no fading or scratches.

20170821_131402_zpsgoehzjib.jpg

As is mine.  Still original red no fading........

• Like 1