Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driving Advice

ajive

ahopkins22LSV

I ALWAYS turn away from the surf side. The waves are much smaller. When rider falls, I slowly cut the throttle to neutral and spin the wheel immediately to the non-surf side(usually the right). The waves go right under the boat as we are usually sideways to them. If you turn to the surf side, you have larger rollers, and your boat is listed lower into the larger rollers which equals a bad combo.

Won't that cause you to run the risk of swamping the side of boat on the surf side? Because you are running listed. If you turn too quick the momentum could rock the boat over and you could swamp yourself. I have always been told to turn to the surf side so the listed side of the boat in on the inside of the turn. I could have been miss-informed though.

This tip is something I picked up from bigger boating: Never shut the engine(s) down before you are tied up and secure. I have seen some instances where people thought they were good killed the engines and then a gust of wind or current slammed their boat into the pier. You may not be able to save it with the engine running, but at least you have a chance.

I like BS's tip on doing everything the same too! Or at least trying too.

Won't that cause you to run the risk of swamping the side of boat on the surf side? Because you are running listed. If you turn too quick the momentum could rock the boat over and you could swamp yourself. I have always been told to turn to the surf side so the listed side of the boat in on the inside of the turn. I could have been miss-informed though.

This tip is something I picked up from bigger boating: Never shut the engine(s) down before you are tied up and secure. I have seen some instances where people thought they were good killed the engines and then a gust of wind or current slammed their boat into the pier. You may not be able to save it with the engine running, but at least you have a chance.

I like BS's tip on doing everything the same too! Or at least trying too.

Maybe it is because I am not running it listed to the rubrail, but this has never once been an issue in 10 years of surfing with many different boats. You don't want to slam it hard right of course, it is more of a gradual turn in neutral. I can see not doing this if you are near the rubrail and fear it coming over. What you don't want is a wave coming directly at the listed side. I would never turn hard away from the listed side while at surf speed, as that would dip the listed corner, but man it works good when you stop.

BTW, every person I have shown this to is amazed at how much better it is, especially the occupants, who take the worst of it with some drivers.

Edited by Brodie

Let me restate what I meant. For about the first 7-8 years of surfing, we always turned towards the surf side, but maintained speed until getting back to the rider, and while in the process, beating the $%^& out of the boat and the passengers as we cross the waves (but this avoided the dreaded chilly dip). Then 2-3 years ago, someone showed me the other way and I have done it ever since. My boat thanks me and my passengers thank me.

I agree with the "pros" on here. One thing I will add; if you are fairly new to driving, your company is probably new to riding. My advice (and not to get off topic) to my company on busy lake days is this:

When you fall, whatever object you are riding, whether it be a ski/skis, wakeboard or surfboard, stick it in the air or waive it around so everyone can see it. It's much easier to see an object sticking out of the water 2-3 feet or flopping around v's only a head that is less than a foot out of the water. If they are wakeboarding and they do not come out of their boots, turn to the side and try to waive the side of the board with enough distraction where others around can see you.

May sound dumb, but I have been buzzed by boats and jet skis before. I don't want anyone getting run over. You may be doing all the right things, but the guy/girl flying by in the cruiser or an inexperienced person on a jet ski is most likely not being as cautious or aware of objects in the water as you are.

Sorry for the tread-jack...just thought it was important and along the same lines.

• Like 1

Let me restate what I meant. For about the first 7-8 years of surfing, we always turned towards the surf side, but maintained speed until getting back to the rider, and while in the process, beating the $%^& out of the boat and the passengers as we cross the waves (but this avoided the dreaded chilly dip). Then 2-3 years ago, someone showed me the other way and I have done it ever since. My boat thanks me and my passengers thank me.

This is what i do. Im listed and always turn to the right to take the wave on the non listed side. Last summer i was teaching my 14 year old to drive the boat. He did really good. He can pull me surfing with it listed just as good as the wife can. I taught him if i fall just pop it into neutral let the wave pass and do the D turn. He picked it up pretty quick. He has got 10-15 hrs of pull me around. The only way your gonna get experence is doing it. Now he isnt doing this on busy weekends but i trust him driving the boat.

Picking up a rider on the starboard side is a great 'rule of thumb' .. ...... But by no means is it unsafe to pick a rider up on port. Depends what suits your needs for the activity. port side surfer = port side pickup.

And when surfing; you chop the throttle and crank the wheel to the OPPOSITE side you are surfing. I'm confused as to why anyone would advise you differently. Doesnt make sense for this application.

Edited by -BS-
  • Like 3

That's a great one^ !

Another new boat owner here. Sort of driving related, but what do you do with the rope?

My spotter pulls it & we toss is the rider. For wakeboarding I do a figure 8 & drag it to my rider

One other tip re: not taking water.

If all else fails, reversing can also help eliminate or reduce water intake over the bow. Just don't run over rood or surfer!

I've used this trick lots. Bow on or bow 3/4, in reverse (med speed) and it help tremendously. Where I'm fri it's not just wakeboard surf wakes but I get the 40+ footer cabin cruisers that like to plow and make our surf wakes look tame!

If we are sitting in water changing skiers, this is something I do and it's always worked even with my responses with much lower freeboard.

One other tip re: not taking water.

If all else fails, reversing can also help eliminate or reduce water intake over the bow. Just don't run over rood or surfer!

I've used this trick lots. Bow on or bow 3/4, in reverse (med speed) and it help tremendously. Where I'm fri it's not just wakeboard surf wakes but I get the 40+ footer cabin cruisers that like to plow and make our surf wakes look tame!

If we are sitting in water changing skiers, this is something I do and it's always worked even with my responses with much lower freeboard.

I'm down with the reverse trick, it does work for the small rollers when the time is right. My other lesson, though (I should've put this up front) is to take it easy on this one if you have a ski/wake rope in the water. I kicked it back a little hard one time and pulled the rope down and wrapped it around the prop and shaft. (Yeah, I had a tough time learning these boats... ) I ended up alternating from warm shower on the swim deck to cutting rope off the prop for like 30 damn minutes with the sun setting and 60 degree water... dang that was a cold mistake!

ahopkins22LSV

Maybe it is because I am not running it listed to the rubrail, but this has never once been an issue in 10 years of surfing with many different boats. You don't want to slam it hard right of course, it is more of a gradual turn in neutral. I can see not doing this if you are near the rubrail and fear it coming over. What you don't want is a wave coming directly at the listed side. I would never turn hard away from the listed side while at surf speed, as that would dip the listed corner, but man it works good when you stop.

BTW, every person I have shown this to is amazed at how much better it is, especially the occupants, who take the worst of it with some drivers.

That makes sense. I also really only have experience surfing behind a DD that we load (probably unsafely) to surf. So we throttle back very slowly after someone falls and then turn at idle with the weighted side to the inside of the turn and idle back to the rider. We have been doing this for 6ish years and have only taken one or two small amounts of water over the bow. Never anything over the side of rear. I am sure both methods work and I wasn't trying to call you out just bringing up the point because I do believe there is a video out there somewhere of a listed boat swamping itself turning with the weight on the outside of the turn.

That makes sense. I also really only have experience surfing behind a DD that we load (probably unsafely) to surf. So we throttle back very slowly after someone falls and then turn at idle with the weighted side to the inside of the turn and idle back to the rider. We have been doing this for 6ish years and have only taken one or two small amounts of water over the bow. Never anything over the side of rear. I am sure both methods work and I wasn't trying to call you out just bringing up the point because I do believe there is a video out there somewhere of a listed boat swamping itself turning with the weight on the outside of the turn.

This is the same way I had to drive my sportster when we surfed it. You had to turn to the weighted side.