Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extending rear steps for tie down w/ surfgate

ljb408

I have a '12 malibu 23 lsv with a ctw trailer. Last season I dealt with the rear tie downs putting pressure on my surfgate , but really am not comfortable with it .

Today I played around with different locations to reweld the tab for the boat buckle system. The only scenario I found to be completely in the clear was to angle at about a 30 degree angle towards the outside of the trailer.

Have any of you run into this problem? I am going to fab up an extension for the step this week. Can you see any obvious safety issues or concerns that I'm not seeing? It would give me the benefit of easier access boarding the boat, and my dang tie down wouldn't be putting stress on the surfgate.

For the sake of the discussion I took some quick pictures just now. The aluminum pieces make out the outline of the "step".

I have a differen idea in mind. The pictures are just to allow an understanding of the basic concept.

55330076-D50C-4484-B45D-DB821F47E832_zps

282A0216-48A2-41E9-9634-535F22C91E23_zps

D6670A9A-4FDA-4D38-8FC4-3DA720FEE19A_zps

B32F7EFD-C9EC-4977-AABF-252BAC915158_zps

DFCE1F06-8A8C-4E32-92DB-F6E7EB268614_zps

You know I did look at those. Is that what guys are doing? That would save me a whole lot of time! I'll check it out when I get back to the house.

No problem…. took me a while to figure that out as well… But I must say the extend step on the back of the trailer is the way to go, so get that blue wrench and welder out… I fabbed an in bow frame mount for my spare on my old vlx a few years back. Guy always needs an excuse to weld something.

JK