Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to clean boat canvas

Hi, i have a custom boat canvass. noticed that the bottom side got some blk moldy colored areas on it. whats best way to clean that...just soap and water and a brush? any better ideas? thx!

MalibuNation

Luckily there are 2 places close by with 80lb washers. I use plain old Tide and a little OXY in cold water. Then wash it again with no soap in cold water and let it air dry. Then use 303 to re-water proof it.

You might want to spot treat your moldy areas with a little liquid soap.

I know others who wash their covers with no soap and others that wash it with a gentle soap like Woolite.

• Like 2

I cleaned my Sunbrella cover last year. Laid it out in the driveway and used Woolite and a scrub brush. Took a while, but all the mildew came right off. Once dry I treated with 303 in a pump sprayer.

Luckily there are 2 places close by with 80lb washers. I use plain old Tide and a little OXY in cold water. Then wash it again with no soap in cold water and let it air dry. Then use 303 to re-water proof it.

You might want to spot treat your moldy areas with a little liquid soap.

I know others who wash their covers with no soap and others that wash it with a gentle soap like Woolite.

:plus1:

Large coin-operated washing machine works well, along with detergent of choice. Good idea on the second no-detergent wash/rinse. I then put it back on the boat, cinch it down, and let it dry. 303 Fabric Guard will restore the waterproofness, but it doesn't need to be done every time.

• Like 1

:plus1:

Large coin-operated washing machine works well, along with detergent of choice. Good idea on the second no-detergent wash/rinse. I then put it back on the boat, cinch it down, and let it dry. 303 Fabric Guard will restore the waterproofness, but it doesn't need to be done every time.

:plus1::plus1: Just don't spray the waterproofing on while the cover is on the boat. I used 303 once, worked well. Second time I used Starbrite due to cost. So far they seem to work about the same IMO.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

I put mine in the bath with some canvas cleaner. Turned the water brown first soak. A couple of water rinses in the tub and it came up sweet. You could probably use a diluted bleach mix or diaper soak to kill the mildew.

• Like 1