Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15" Props

cwkoch

My LSV came with the "Torque" prop from Malibu- ACME 2419- 15x12x.075 cup.... Not terribly impressed with this prop. It pulls out of the hole hard, but tops out at 35 MPH, and there's no "pull" in the mid range. (If you're going 20mph and you drop the throttle, the RPMs increase fast, but the boat speed doesn't.) It's like the prop is slipping. Maybe there's not enough cup?? Anyways, I'm looking at trying the ACME 2249- 15x14.25x.105 cup. Is anyone running this prop?? What are your thoughts??

I have an ACME 1273- 14.5x14.25x.150 cup sitting around that I think I might try too..... Being this is the same pitch as the 2249, is it worth buying the 2249?? Will 15" diameter vs 14.5" diameter make a big difference??

Engine is the LS3. We will primarily be hydrofoiling at 22-24MPH, but will also be mixing some surfing in there now too....

For about $50 you can take your ACME 2419 to your local prop shop and have them increase the cup to .105, which would transform your 2419 into a 2315. This will give you better top end performance. Adding cup basically increases your pitch.

From a manufacturing perspective, it is easier to fab a fewer number of props and then adjust the cup to increase your sku count. This is what ACME does. You can add/subtract cup without harming the prop.

So how did Malibu come to decide on the 2419 as their offering for a 15x12 prop??? Seems like there's not enough cup.... All the talk on the forums is about the 2315. Why wouldn't Malibu choose this prop???

Ive ran all of these props on a 450 G23.... very very similiar weight to power setup

the 2315 was by far the best all around prop. still got 37-38mph at wide open, and was able to do roughly 12,000lbs total weight, boat, OEM ballast, additional ballast. 7000 + 2850 + 2000.

2249 will do great unloaded...43mph top speed, but you'll be a dog when you are ballasted, if you can even get on plane.

2315 is what you need.

You never can tell what Malibu will do... I ordered the ls3 and torque prop as well thinking that Malibu would continue with the 2315 as the torque prop. I'm not sure that I want the 2419 after hearing this.

I guess we know why Malibu came up with their own terms for these props (e.g., High Altitude, Torque...) instead of just listing the ACME number. They wanted flexibility on which prop to ship.

I guess we know why Malibu came up with their own terms for these props (e.g., High Altitude, Torque...) instead of just listing the ACME number. They wanted flexibility on which prop to ship.

Seems like it, it's quite annoying.

All this prop talk........Problem is, no one has done any back to back comparison work with these new 15 inch props (that I have seen) and pitted them against the 14.5 inch props that everyone was raving about 3 years ago. I think for your application (mainly hydrofoil) save your money and slap a 1939 or similar prop on your boat.

Edited by Tims

Actually, the 1273 is the same cup as the 2247. The 2249 is the same cup as the 1235.

Well....not apples to apples comparison here, but I'm running the 1273 right now because it gives me a nice RPM when pulling Lawrence behind the boat, he likes to foil at 26-27mph. I run ZERO ballast at those speeds and my little Monsoon motor does great. I just ordered the 2247 because at the end of the foiling sessions, I'll fill up all my ballast, an extra 1600 lbs of sacks plus the wedge. I can get it to surf at about 1/2 throttle. So, holping the 1/2" of bigger prop will help me out of the hole a little bit.

My LSV came with the "Torque" prop from Malibu- ACME 2419- 15x12x.075 cup.... Not terribly impressed with this prop. It pulls out of the hole hard, but tops out at 35 MPH, and there's no "pull" in the mid range. (If you're going 20mph and you drop the throttle, the RPMs increase fast, but the boat speed doesn't.) It's like the prop is slipping. Maybe there's not enough cup?? Anyways, I'm looking at trying the ACME 2249- 15x14.25x.105 cup. Is anyone running this prop?? What are your thoughts??

I have an ACME 1273- 14.5x14.25x.150 cup sitting around that I think I might try too..... Being this is the same pitch as the 2249, is it worth buying the 2249?? Will 15" diameter vs 14.5" diameter make a big difference??

Engine is the LS3. We will primarily be hydrofoiling at 22-24MPH, but will also be mixing some surfing in there now too....

When you topped out at 35mph did you have any throttle left? We're you hitting the rev limiter?

It's threads like these that we should point to when people debate whether or not they should get an engine upgrade with these new, deeper, heavier boats. Cut out other options, but don't skimp on the engine otherwise you'll give up all your top end on a low end prop.

Glad I went LSA. :-)

Exactly the reason I went with the ls3 instead of the stock or 410. I would love the LSA, though. I'm not worried at all about the ls3 being enough engine.