Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not such a good day at the lake.

js9467

In the right conditions, the reverse method is a great move. I learned this last summer (after ~400hrs of bu driving). You don't slam it into reverse, just into idle, it gives the boat time to ride up and down the wave as it passes. Just don't back up over your rider!!

A little late to the party on this one. OP: +1 on budgeting for a new starter in your future. That'll likely be the case, and it's a bummer the day you're getting ready to head out (or are already off the trailer) and...nothing. Personal experience on that one. As a rookie boater with my first boat, launched after 10 hr service. Dealer said he either puts plug in front of ski pylon or it is installed. Didn't confirm, launched, and before long water was above the deck at the rear. <clip of really long saga> After getting boat back on the trailer, it drained for a solid 1/2 hr with all plugs removed. No sign anywhere of the bilge plug. Lesson learned to ALWAYS check status - especially after service. :blush: Next year starter failed, and I am certain it was b/c of that water damage.

Driving a boat with low freeboard (for whatever reason, including ballast or just design) is a much greater challenge. My first boat was a Centurion Falcon with next to zero freeboard. Were always taking water over the bow, and also the transom when being passed by wakeboard boats. Worst scare was heading into Emerald Bay on Tahoe - through the "neck" - at the same time the Tahoe Queen was heading out. No escape. I got the bow up big time to get over that wake, and I would guess at least 2/3 of the hull was free of the water as we went over. Never dealt with a wake that big, and hope to never do so again! If I had reversed, that boat would still be at the bottom.

Edited by WetSider

I have a sportster so I know a little about low freeboard. I was in the same cove this weekend with a G25 and a large MXZ. Both surfing. Getting over/around the wakes was very challenging!! Still lots to learn.

I don't know, maybe the same people that go 10 mph below the speed limit in the fast or passing lane or the person that jams on his breaks causing a pile up to avoid hitting a squirrel or maybe the person that locks up his brakes and rear ends the person stopping for the squirrel rather than steering around him, or how about the person that texts and drives (something that I freely admit I have done and no doubt will do again, but do not defend - it's stupid)? What is it they say about "common" sense anyway? My point is just because something isn't overly difficult or doesn't or shouldn't take a lot of "sense" doesn't mean accidents won't still happen or people won't on occasion fail to use their common sense. One, two or even a dozen examples of people taking water over the bow are not necessarily indicative of something taking great skill. And for the record, I'm not saying boat driving is necessarily common sense - it's probably not intuitive for most that if you let off the throttle, you lose all steering - that's not what happens when you drive a car, but a few simple tips like waiting for the wake to pass before turning back to pick up your rider or punching the throttle to get your nose up can go a long wait to helping someone avoid getting swamped - and to be able to do those things is not rocket science.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all, you keep using this term 'rocket science'. Nobody is claiming it's that. I don't know why you keep going back to that well. It's dry.

As far as the rest; You're proving my point with every word you type..... 'The people that block the fast lane' ..... 'texting and driving'......etc: They are all examples of what people do when they stop taking driving a car seriously. It's not a matter of how hard driving a car is, it's a matter of not taking the task at hand seriously. "Ehhhh, driving a car ain't rocket science". "Meh, that won't happen to me" And it's exactly when accidents happen.

Combine that attitude with a general lack of knowledge, experience and practice (the real reasons why people can't trailer their boat efficiently, why people still powerturn, why people tailgate boats with riders in tow, why people routinely take their own waves over the bow) and you have a pretty combustible situation.

Then throw into the mix the group of people that just assume it's "safe" to slam your boat with ballast because they've seen so many others do it....... What a zoo.

All I'm saying is that the OP's experience A) isn't unique, by a longshot and B) is a great reminder to take driving a ballasted boat seriously. I think it's cool he took the time to share for that reason alone.

But all that said, YES, this place can absolutely be a bit nutso with certain topics; never ever surfing w/o a PFD, never ever having a single beer on the boat, maybe fire extinguisher location, whatever...... I just don't think this is one of those topics. Although the picture you painted in your previous post was pretty darn funny, the fact is; nobody was "gravely warning" Afun. We were simply saying; pay attention if that's the route you're going.

Yes, I'm not familiar with the metaphor...

Remember you're the one that brought up the the old afun thread and my reference to rocket science, implying that I was wrong in saying it wasn't. Hence my drilling down on the point that I still don't believe driving a boat is that hard and that some of you guys on here take yourselves and your driving experience too seriously.

Anyway, starting to remind me of all those high school teachers I was smarter than.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes. I too know the dangers of having an inexperienced driver drive. I've been through a couple less than pleasant experiences as well. As long as everyone is safe you made out alright! Im really surprised there was no ATF fluid. Doesnt make sense to me. Would make me wonder how it escaped, because if it escaped while an abundance of water was around I'd be wondering if water made it IN. I would certainly consider doing a "tranny flush" and getting some new fluid in there for sure. Not sure how easy that is to do on a boat though.

Ok, newbie here. We have a new 14'LSV. It is fitted with 750's in the back and a 400 in the front. Would love some tips on not taking water over the bow. We have had one dealer demo and another is scheduled. I did get the tip to idle reverse when taking on your own slow rollers.

some of you guys on here take yourselves and your driving experience too seriously.

That's fair. I'll take that. I have no problem saying I take pride in my boating experience and love hearing those with more talk about theirs. Always something to learn, unless of course,you've got it all figured out. But I'd add; Just as there is a fine line between taking it seriously and too seriously.........there is an equally fine line between taking it seriously and not taking it seriously at all. I'll err on the side of too seriously given where I ride. And maybe that's where the difference in opinions lies. :cheers:

Ok, newbie here. We have a new 14'LSV. It is fitted with 750's in the back and a 400 in the front. Would love some tips on not taking water over the bow. We have had one dealer demo and another is scheduled. I did get the tip to idle reverse when taking on your own slow rollers.

See the "Driving Advice" thread just started. Probably be perfect for what you're looking for. .

Yes, I'm not familiar with the metaphor...Remember you're the one that brought up the the old afun thread and my reference to rocket science, implying that I was wrong in saying it wasn't. Hence my drilling down on the point that I still don't believe driving a boat is that hard and that some of you guys on here take yourselves and your driving experience too seriously. Anyway, starting to remind me of all those high school teachers I was smarter than. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the whole reason for this argument is because you don't understand how the phrase rocket science is used. Gotcha. You are a smart one.

When you say "driving a boat isn't rocket science." It implies that any dumbo can do it. Your misunderstanding of this is the whole reason for the argument. Glad we got that solved. Back to my coffee.

Edited by Ruffdog

Lol, now I'm gonna throw in some. I dont think boat driving could ever, ever be taken too seriously. One slack moment in thinking can end up in tragedy.

When you're in the seat, you have to bring your A game every moment.

There's just too much at stake.

Steve B.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY other than my life long friends that I've ridden with for years drive my boat. People say anyone can drive a ballasted boat...no way. Especially super weighted. Driving mine is a science and I still take on a little over the bow every now and then.

post-18128-13993320745266_thumb.jpg

This picture gives me such mixed emotions... On one hand, I want to wakeboard behind that boat so bad.... Then the other wants nothing to do with driving or riding in it.

• Like 2

I'm telling y'all it's not bad. If it was absolutely butter out you could just pull back on the throttle and never have to feather it, and it wouldn't dip. (Not that I ever do.) I think it's how I weight my boat. I like to keep it almost even all the way back. I lose some height on the wake but it's VERY thick.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY other than my life long friends that I've ridden with for years drive my boat. People say anyone can drive a ballasted boat...no way. Especially super weighted. Driving mine is a science and I still take on a little over the bow every now and then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399332074.096492.jpg

Overloading a boat like this is ridiculous. Sure, maybe nothing had happened yet...but someday it will. It's unsafe. There a reason there is a weight capacity plaque in the boat. This is just a recipe for disaster and is really not needed for a fun boarding experience.

Overloading a boat like this is ridiculous. Sure, maybe nothing had happened yet...but someday it will. It's unsafe. There a reason there is a weight capacity plaque in the boat. This is just a recipe for disaster and is really not needed for a fun boarding experience.

I understand your concern....his set-up is pretty Gnarly....let's be positive!

Is there ANYONE here that doesn't exceed their weight capacity plaque?

Edited by aggie08

Rofl. Nope no close calls. But I tell you what. If I somehow someway do sink my boat. I'll take pics of it, post them here and say you were right. But until then I'll enjoy riding a waist high wake. Do I ride to it's full potential? Nope. Blown my knee out for times. I just ride 100% for fun now. But I love going huge and making everything I can do poked out or stylish. I like seeing people's styles. Going big is what my crew likes to do. For example, my buddy was trying double backrolls earlier off double ups and coming pretty darn close and was going HUGE. If you are so worried about the capacity I suspect that you don't run any ballast at all?! Because if stock ballast doesn't nearly put you over that limit stock ballast plus a couple people will put you over it. You can go gripe somewhere else. I bought that boat with my hard earned money and I will use it whichever way I prefer. Which is to it's full potential.

• Like 3

Most people at least surf overloaded. I guess it depends on a lot of stuff. Is it 5 am on a glassy lake or 1 pm on a swift moving hi traffic river?

These are some things that a good driver will know and a bad one won't.

In my opinion people need to be more alert on a busy river with a ballasted boat. Does the guy that has a full year of driving on his home lake know that when he chooses to ride on a river? I think that's a good question that not enough people ask themselves or their drivers. I have know a few lake boaters that have been doing it for years ask what the nav buoys mean.

There a reason there is a weight capacity plaque in the boat.

I thought it was a manufacturers' industry association (NMMA) thing? Pretty sure that's the reason mine doesn't have a plaque.

I thought it was a manufacturers' industry association (NMMA) thing? Pretty sure that's the reason mine doesn't have a plaque.

Thats because they know who you are and they said " the plaque is no good here, do you know who this is...the Godfather". El Padrino

Edited by Afun