Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Question...any issues going to Group 29 from 24?

My current battery is an Interstate SRM-24 and it needs to be replaced after 7 years. Would I have any issues moving up to the SRM-29? i.e., does this place greater strain on the alternator?, other electrical issues, etc.

My logic in moving to the SRM29 is that the group 29 would provide greater capacity. I've had no issues with the SRM-24 and I only operate with one battery. Currently, i only have 4 in-boat speakers and a 4-channel amp. At some point, though, I may switch to a 5-channel amp and add a sub. Hence, there may be greater demands on the battery down the road.

I don't plan to add a second battery. The boat stays moored on a small lake and while we listen to the stereo at rest, it is rarely cranked.

I made the switch from a group 24 to the SRM29 last year without any issues, other than the need for a larger battery box, of course.

The size of the battery is secondary to the depth of the discharge. If the depletion in amp/hours is the same then the strain on the alternator is the same regardless of the differential in battery size.

A subwoofer and supporting single amplifier channel alone may consume as much power as the 4-channel fullrange system you have now. So there may come a time that you need to add a second battery and switch. After playing the stereo at rest, if your battery is discharged below 12.0 volts then it is definitely time to start planning for that extra battery and switch. So just measure to keep tabs on it. And if you are discharging the one battery below 12.0 volts then the additional battery needs to be larger capacity.

It's not particularly healthy to regularly start the boat with low voltage. It's one of the many reasons in favor of a dual battery set-up.