Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

THoughts after first 13 hours and full weekend on my 14 LSV

CJAY

So right now I only get 3600 RPMs when I have any kind of ballast over stock. The wedge is useless over stock for wakeboarding or surfing. I'm starting to think the prop might be cavitating. Empty I get 5700 RPMs.

On top of all that yesterday while surfing my batteries started dropping volts down into the low 11's and throwing low battery alarms, then it started throwing codes. "data valid but bellow normal range". Also a little yellow plastic thing that looks like a filter was floating in the bilge that we fished out. Boat goes back to the shop Thursday, we are on a friends boat this weekend, so they can have it for a week to see if they can dial this stuff in

Oh man, I feel for you. I can't imagine having all these issues on a brand new $100K boat. Will the dealer take it out and put it in the water to test all this out, or are they only going to troubleshoot in their shop?

At this point they have to water test it. Issue is that our lake tags our boats and if the tag is broken it's 35day quarantine, so they have to take it to our lake to water test it

These "new engines" are the same that have been used for decades. There is no diffence in electrical energy required by spark plugs on a current LS3 than a boat with a bad alternator on a 20 year old monsoon. Boats with bad alternators run fine until the battery is drawn down. No evidence of that here that I've heard. Put me in the skeptical column that a "loose" alternator wire would contribute to lack of power. Though I'd agree that's a starting point.

Except that the computers controlling these same engine (blocks)that have been used for decades are not particularly tolerant of their voltage fluctuating.

Spoke to acme this morning, and they don't think it's the prop. My dealer has another LSV in doing the exact same thing power wise. Tech is going to test it and see if he can figure it out and get back to me. Hopefully it isn't just that the MP LS3 can't handle this kind of work. Not sure where I'd go from there

Except that the computers controlling these same engine (blocks)that have been used for decades are not particularly tolerant of their voltage fluctuating.

Ironically, they kinda do. The ECUs, in these boats, have an internal voltage regulator and rectifier module. It's job, is to take any voltage above 5 volts, smooth it out, and regulate it down to a steady and stable 5 volts. The computer then uses this clean 5 volt signal for sensors and controls on the engine.

The ignition system, however, will start to mess up on anything less than 9 volts. (And this has been the same minimum requirement for more than 30 years on any GM, or Ford, V8. Not to mention, the fuel pump would also fail to properly supply fuel at lower voltages.

You can have huge voltage fluctuations on these newer engines, without ever even knowing it. The computers are designed to handle it. The weaker points are the ignition coils, and fuel pump. Those components are still able to take a pretty large fluctuation as well, though.

Chris,

It really sucks that you are having problems with your boat, it kind of ruins the excitement of getting the new boat. We got really lucky on the three new boats we have gotten.

Hopefully they will figure something at very soon, I wouldn't want Jody pissed at me for talking her into this boat!! :)