Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

THoughts after first 13 hours and full weekend on my 14 LSV

CJAY

I woke thinking about the LSV...its awesome!

10 people in the cabin comfy. Wakeboard wake was amazing. I got to see some guys fly. Rode the ACU behind it and loved it. This will be the best seller for sure!

if you're dreaming about another boat, maybe it's time to upgrade.

Not dreaming....just appreciating a really nice boat. Congrats to LSV owners!

Okay... you've just been posting about it for days, and woke up thinking about it. But not dreaming... got it!

Turned on my Surfgate today, 750's in rear lockers..factory full ...just me and my son...wave was as huge......almost too steep for his skill...

As Afun says...its a great boat...

Hit 20 hours this past weekend, and now it's at the shop getting th 20 hour service, and they are looking into the power issues

ahopkins22LSV

Hit 20 hours this past weekend, and now it's at the shop getting th 20 hour service, and they are looking into the power issues

I am curious to see what they find. Hopefully it is a short, quick repair for them!

Well got it back, haven't had it on the water yet though. The alternator cable was loose, ended up arching out on Sunday, and when we tried to launch no power. They fixed that and said it could be a cause of power loss since it had been loose for a while. Will let you know once I test it out

Skipdawg316

Thanks for the update and sounds promising that is the culprit.

I have played around with my set up alot and I am finding bow weight is absolutely key. In fact, I am starting to think 650 + MLS is a minimum. If just MLS in Bow and 750s + MLS in stern, the boat is just too high out of the water. It also makes the wave really steep and short.

I may switch to 2315 as right now I just have the stock prop (not high altitude as we are only a bit above sea level).

Seems consensus is building that this combo is the way to go with LS3? Not sure how much it changes get up and go - would love any advice before I drop the cash for it.

The more time I spend, the more awesome it gets!

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Well got it back, haven't had it on the water yet though. The alternator cable was loose, ended up arching out on Sunday, and when we tried to launch no power. They fixed that and said it could be a cause of power loss since it had been loose for a while. Will let you know once I test it out

I don't know a whole lot about engines, but I would think the alternator cable would have nothing to do with the engine losing power. Isn't it just charging the batteries? I could be wrong, would love to hear others' opinions.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

I don't know a whole lot about engines, but I would think the alternator cable would have nothing to do with the engine losing power. Isn't it just charging the batteries? I could be wrong, would love to hear others' opinions.

These new engines need a lot power/energy/volts whatever you want to call it. If you have a loose battery or alternator cable it can most defiantly affect engine performance or a no start situation.

These new engines need a lot power/energy/volts whatever you want to call it. If you have a loose battery or alternator cable it can most defiantly affect engine performance or a no start situation.

These "new engines" are the same that have been used for decades. There is no diffence in electrical energy required by spark plugs on a current LS3 than a boat with a bad alternator on a 20 year old monsoon. Boats with bad alternators run fine until the battery is drawn down. No evidence of that here that I've heard. Put me in the skeptical column that a "loose" alternator wire would contribute to lack of power. Though I'd agree that's a starting point.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

These "new engines" are the same that have been used for decades. There is no diffence in electrical energy required by spark plugs on a current LS3 than a boat with a bad alternator on a 20 year old monsoon. Boats with bad alternators run fine until the battery is drawn down. No evidence of that here that I've heard. Put me in the skeptical column that a "loose" alternator wire would contribute to lack of power. Though I'd agree that's a starting point.

Yeah, I'm skeptical also. Will have it out this weekend and will test it. If it's not the issue it will go back to the shop again they will have to do something. It seems to have gotten worse. Last weekend I couldn't even use the wedge with only MLS plus my 750 nose bag and 6 people in the boat.

ahopkins22LSV

Completely fair to be skeptical. I would be too. But I have seen loose wires cause issues.

Others on here know way more than me in this arena, I'm sure these symptoms are indicative of a handful of likely candidates. Can a malfunctioning thermostat cause this kind of behavior?

Hop no worries I even suspected auto wedge was tricking him so it's all good

I don't think it's auto wedge, because I'm still of the mind set of doing the wedge manually from my 07. Now wedge calibration may be something to look at, but that doesn't explain plaining issues with the wedge stowed

I don't think it's auto wedge, because I'm still of the mind set of doing the wedge manually from my 07. Now wedge calibration may be something to look at, but that doesn't explain plaining issues with the wedge stowed

I realize that. Was referring back and offering olive branch to hop that nothing wrong w throwing ideas around.

Power still a huge issue, only getting a max of 3600 RPMs when fully loaded, 5700 when empty.

They went to new throttle internals this year. This could be the issue.

cjay, so sorry to hear about your frustrations. I know it'd be a two front war in my case... one front with the dealer trying to figure out what's going on and the other with the mrs. to justify why the stupid boat doesn't "just work." lose on either front and my boating days would be numbered.

So right now I only get 3600 RPMs when I have any kind of ballast over stock. The wedge is useless over stock for wakeboarding or surfing. I'm starting to think the prop might be cavitating. Empty I get 5700 RPMs.

On top of all that yesterday while surfing my batteries started dropping volts down into the low 11's and throwing low battery alarms, then it started throwing codes. "data valid but bellow normal range". Also a little yellow plastic thing that looks like a filter was floating in the bilge that we fished out. Boat goes back to the shop Thursday, we are on a friends boat this weekend, so they can have it for a week to see if they can dial this stuff in