Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

THoughts after first 13 hours and full weekend on my 14 LSV

CJAY

So got the break in period out of the way and got a chance to really play with the boat. After the first 13 hours there are some positives and negatives. First the positives

1. Surf Wake is insane. best surf wave i've ever ridden, and that includes listed surf boats like tiges I've been behind

2. Good rough water ride

3. Wakeboard wake is super poppy

4. Boat stays on track even when you let go of the wheel

5. Drives like a sports car

Now the negatives

1. Glove box pops open at the slightest jar

2. Storage is limited

3. The lack of analogs is terrible. My RF remote went out and we had to switch to media mode on the maliview, made it a serious PITA. Finally I just started using my 420. honestly didn't think this would be a deal breaker, but now if I knew how poor a design this was I would have thought twice about getting a 14

4. Even with the 450 and 2419 prop it struggles to get on plane with any decent weight, and the wedge will pull it off plane

5. The wakeboard wake is seriously weight sensitive. For such a big flat bottom boat this thing is old x star sensitive

Is your auto wedge on? I would think with any amount of weight it should plane without much problem. I agree with the gauges. I also have a problem with my glove box, only mine won't open easily. My last complaint is the RF remote being too sensitive. I wish there was a lockout on it.

how much weight are you running?

It was struggling with to plane for wakeboarding with 4 people and 2500lbs, minus the wedge.

Storage is limited? Are your compartments all full of extra ballast? Even my 20ft VTX has enough storage where I could live out of it for a month ;)

My VTX had more useable storage than this boat does

Is your auto wedge on? I would think with any amount of weight it should plane without much problem. I agree with the gauges. I also have a problem with my glove box, only mine won't open easily. My last complaint is the RF remote being too sensitive. I wish there was a lockout on it.

I had it on, but changed it to manual to see if we could get it to plane. I'd start it at the bottom then move it up once we were on plane, then the boat would come off plane and slow down to 14mph, even if we were going 22. If I ran just tanks and wedge, no PNP, it wouldn't plane with it all the way down. Dealer is going to look into it.

The RF was sensitive, then it became speradic and wouldn't work some of the time, then it just all out quit. Forcing us to use media mode, which is a terrible mode, which caused my wife to hate the boat. When i explained we could just use the 420 for now, she got extra pissed that we even have to. She lost it trying to switch between media and gauges while pulling me, ended up on a blue screen and hasn't had a lot of love for the boat since

Edited by CJAY

One last negative, holy crap the thing loves fuel. While breaking it in we used almost half the tank in about 8 hours of engine time with no ballast or heavy running. Next day we did a normal day and used another half tank in about 4 hours riding

Edited by CJAY

One last negative, holy crap the thing loves fuel. While breaking it in we used almost half the tank in about 8 hours of engine time with no ballast or heavy running. Next day we did a normal day and used another half tank in about 4 hours riding

Your prop doesn't help this either. It definitely sounds like something is going on with your boat. That engine and prop combo should be able to pull anything on plane.

Yes, the media screen does suck. I got the blue screen and couldn't get rid of it!! Took me several button tries to get rid of it. I can see how your wife would be frustrated.

The entire maliview stereo black box thingy is garage imo. Go with the 420 and your mp3 player of choice and be done with it.

Glad the wake is good, that is the most important part!!! I don't get the new dash setup, not sure what Malibu was thinking loosing analog gauges.

I would think the 450, with the 2419 prop would push any amount to of weight you can throw at it. Maybe you need some more bow weight to balance it out better?

Your prop doesn't help this either. It definitely sounds like something is going on with your boat. That engine and prop combo should be able to pull anything on plane.

Yes, the media screen does suck. I got the blue screen and couldn't get rid of it!! Took me several button tries to get rid of it. I can see how your wife would be frustrated.

Yeah full boat of people and I could hear her screaming from the water. Easiest way to clear is to hit the power button. She loved our VTX, and isn't too happy right now. Hopefully the dealer get sit figured out on the planing, and the RF. I didn't help the situation by reminding her that she wanted the RF headunit, while I wanted a touch screen kenwood instead.... Needless to say we didn't go back out Sunday due to us arguing

• Like 2

The entire maliview stereo black box thingy is garage imo. Go with the 420 and your mp3 player of choice and be done with it.

Glad the wake is good, that is the most important part!!! I don't get the new dash setup, not sure what Malibu was thinking loosing analog gauges.

I would think the 450, with the 2419 prop would push any amount to of weight you can throw at it. Maybe you need some more bow weight to balance it out better?

I was had the bow tank full plus my 750. Something isn't right I'm thinking.

Yeah the surf and wakeboard wakes are crazy good, comprable to the G21 I was on a couple weeks ago wakeboard wise, and much better surf wise. Just really weight touchy on the wakeboard one, was washing out one side really bad

PICS of the surfwave?!?!?!?!?!?

Holy crap. 2419 and you are still stuggling to get on plane with 450hp. The only thing I can think this would be attributed to, would be prop shaft angle.... too much weight in the rear. Did that 2419 come OEM or did you put it on? Not trying to insult you... are you 100% certain its a 2419? Thats an extreme prop.

2800lbs ballast... so thats 1800 OEM + 500+500 in the trunks? Specifically where is your weight in the boat. Thats not all that much weight, should yanks that right up.

So got the break in period out of the way and got a chance to really play with the boat. After the first 13 hours there are some positives and negatives. First the positives

1. Surf Wake is insane. best surf wave i've ever ridden, and that includes listed surf boats like tiges I've been behind

2. Good rough water ride

3. Wakeboard wake is super poppy

4. Boat stays on track even when you let go of the wheel

5. Drives like a sports car

Now the negatives

1. Glove box pops open at the slightest jar

2. Storage is limited

3. The lack of analogs is terrible. My RF remote went out and we had to switch to media mode on the maliview, made it a serious PITA. Finally I just started using my 420. honestly didn't think this would be a deal breaker, but now if I knew how poor a design this was I would have thought twice about getting a 14

4. Even with the 450 and 2419 prop it struggles to get on plane with any decent weight, and the wedge will pull it off plane

5. The wakeboard wake is seriously weight sensitive. For such a big flat bottom boat this thing is old x star sensitive

I hate to hear about the issues and aguing when it should be the honeymoon period. When the wife isn't happy, nobody is happy.

I wonder how much they changed the hull on the new LSV. Our 2012 LSV had the diamond hull and it was pretty good on fuel usage and it wasn't really touchy on wake. I think my X2 uses more fuel than the LSV did.

As for the glove box, our 2012 LSV had the same issues (I know, previous design), but Malibu still uses the same similar style latch. They catches wear out too easily or the catch is just a crappy little metal tab. they need to upgrade to a real glove box latch.

I have been preaching since I first saw the redesign interior on the VTX that the new electronics layout was garbage. I told anybody at the factory that would listen. They pretty said get used to it because everything will be getting it.

PICS of the surfwave?!?!?!?!?!?

Holy crap. 2419 and you are still stuggling to get on plane with 450hp. The only thing I can think this would be attributed to, would be prop shaft angle.... too much weight in the rear. Did that 2419 come OEM or did you put it on? Not trying to insult you... are you 100% certain its a 2419? Thats an extreme prop.

2800lbs ballast... so thats 1800 OEM + 500+500 in the trunks? Specifically where is your weight in the boat. Thats not all that much weight, should yanks that right up.

I'll get some off my wife's phone. It's huge, tons of push, need to dial in the length some.

I was running my 750s a little less than half full, so that's just an estimate. Like I siad I had over 1000lbs in the bow. The craziest thing was that the wedge would pull it off plane when at full speed. On my VTX that never happened. If it got on plane the wedge wouldn't cause it to go off plane.

it came with the 2419

Edited by CJAY

I hate to hear about the issues and aguing when it should be the honeymoon period. When the wife isn't happy, nobody is happy.

I wonder how much they changed the hull on the new LSV. Our 2012 LSV had the diamond hull and it was pretty good on fuel usage and it wasn't really touchy on wake. I think my X2 uses more fuel than the LSV did.

As for the glove box, our 2012 LSV had the same issues (I know, previous design), but Malibu still uses the same similar style latch. They catches wear out too easily or the catch is just a crappy little metal tab. they need to upgrade to a real glove box latch.

I have been preaching since I first saw the redesign interior on the VTX that the new electronics layout was garbage. I told anybody at the factory that would listen. They pretty said get used to it because everything will be getting it.

Yeah the helm is terrible, now that we've had an issue I wouldn't buy a boat with it again. I'd change brands before I'd go with it. Lose something like the RF remote and suddenly you have to choose between gauges and music, which basically takes away the music. They could have at least moved the media mode to the side screen, would make way more sense there.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the surf wake! That sucks that you are having some of the problems you are... Fuel consumption seems abnormally high, though. I figured the LS3 with an aggressive prop would burn through gas, but holy crap, you're talking almost 10 GPH with really not THAT much weight.

I mean all in all I love the boat, just need to get this crap ironed out. I do think something is wrong though with the drive train or engine. Empty the thing gets up and goes, but really lacks power under weight, and the fuel usage is crazy. I may be pulling the whole RF system over the winter though. All in all not worth integrating it, the BT is distorted some, the media screen is useless, and I could get GPS for much cheaper with another system, plus good car bluetooth and the ability to answer the phone via bluetooth

wow. 2419 as the OEM prop. THATs insane. 35-37mph boat straight from the factory, no ability to gear down for more tq...with the current props available today. I would have assumed a 2249 would have been the standard OEM choice.

perhaps the prop shaft angle or weight distribution is off some making it more inefficient.

Now, again, how are you adding up your ballast to get 2800lbs, something doesnt compute:

OEM 1800lbs in the 4 OEM hard tanks

500 + 500 ish in each of the trunks

+1000 in the bow?? that'd be 3800lbs, no?

I think you'll find that your fuel consumption is ALL about RPM management.... if you are running north of 3500rpms.... you are guzzling fuel.

Keeping it under 3200-3300rpms is much more ideal... the fuel consumption/RPM rates are not linear...3200 range and under makes a big difference.

A couple ways to achieve this:

improve the prop shaft angle -- by using the wedge or more weight in the bow. You gotta keep the bow down, much more efficient use of thrust.

dial in the prop that gives you the maximum pitch while still giving you decent acceleration for a given sac'd out load. Too low of a pitch, and you spin higher RPMs wasting fuel taking shorter "steps". Higher pitch prop takes bigger steps, allows lower rpms, relies on the tq available.... but from your remarks on the 2419, at 12pitch you are still struggling with the weight.

OEM it's 1350, running another 750 in the bow plus 300-400 in each bag on top of the tanks, my bags are a little under half full. When i fill it all the way up it tops out at 14mph period. Full ballast with all the normal bags is 3600lbs, I have another 500lbs I haven't thrown into the mix yet.

Just wondering what type of fuel mileage you think you should be getting? Your going to burn 7 to 8 gallons an hour easy with that boat weighted down. Seems more than reasonable to me.

Just wondering what type of fuel mileage you think you should be getting? Your going to burn 7 to 8 gallons an hour easy with that boat weighted down. Seems more than reasonable to me.

I'm closer to 10 gallons an hour. We aren't running it weighted all the time either. I'd say 25% weighted 75% not. I was getting about 6 gallons per hour wweighted in my VTX, was hoping for 7-8.