justgary

Vesconite Strut Bushings

justgary

Anybody interested in a group buy on Vesconite strut bushings? Even if you don't need them right now, a group buy might help you have a set on the shelf for when the time comes. They are expensive enough to want a group buy....

formulaben

How much are they? I thought the bushing was cheap, it's the removal that was hard/costly. I was looking at the cost of a bushing removal tool to use without removing the shaft and it was spendy...

justgary

It looks like they run at least $65 a pair. Not too much, but I'll take a discount when I can get one. I just discovered that I need to change mine soon.

I'm seriously considering making a tool to change the bushing without pulling the shaft or strut. I would consider renting it out to crew supporters for cheap if they pay shipping both ways.

formulaben

It is hard to justify a tool, but I was thinking it would be cool to get one of these and crew members would rent for a nominal fee and then ship to the next user...I'm sure it would pay for itself shortly and profits would go to the site. But if you're handy with fab work, maybe it can be done much cheaper.

justgary

That's what I plan to make, but only for 1.125 shafts. Does a V drive have a longer bushing than a DD? I would like to make one collet to push both.

formulaben

I want to say yes, but not positive...anyone?! Bueller?

formulaben

Gary, you still thinking of doing this?

justgary

I changed mine in May, but I could be talked into another set of bushings if the price is right.

I think I would just pull the strut again to change them. If your bushings are worn out, you need to align the shaft anyway.

I don't think that a tool would have gotten my old bushings out. They were one with the strut. I had to cut them out.