Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

18" wheel conversion done!

Nitrousbird

So I got the wheels late last year: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46855-started-my-major-trailer-upgrade/

The project is finally done (well, might be a tweak or two to the fender alignment once I get some miles on them). Because I went from a 205/75/14 to a 255/45/18 (45mm wider + 1" taller), I had to do some fender work to get them to fit.

My backer boards where shot so at least 1/2 the project needed done regardless of the new wheels. I relocated the fenders further out and created a 1.5" spacer (all carpeted) to give enough clearance. Clearances are tight but a quick trip around the neighborhood (sharp turns both directions) did not result in any rubbing.

Sorry for the dirty boat pics...hasn't been washed/waxed this year with 6 months of dust on her, need to treat the teak and clean up everything. Still need to buy a spare wheel/tire as well. And yes, my plan is to pull the red Malibu badges and upgrade to something better this year.

b4pj.jpg

vgpz.jpg

49ta.jpg

iy4r.jpg

• Like 2

Looks bad ace man, its amazing what wheels can do :rockon: IMO ditch the red decal. It would look extra nice. How much do you have in total on fenders wheels and tires?

• Like 3

$1140 for the 4 wheels and tires shipped (wheels used, tires were basically brand new).

Stock fenders. I have about $22 in wood, $22 in carpet and probably $6 in screws. A little spray paint I had laying around to touch up a couple small rust spots and that's about it. Plus a good chunk of my own labor.

$1140 for the 4 wheels and tires shipped (wheels used, tires were basically brand new).

Stock fenders. I have about $22 in wood, $22 in carpet and probably $6 in screws. A little spray paint I had laying around to touch up a couple small rust spots and that's about it. Plus a good chunk of my own labor.

Hmm. I have a boatmate and my fenders just looks so skinny to fit the those tires.Maybe they would fit? Whats your offset and tire size?

255/45/18. No idea on the offset; these are trailer-only wheels that Boatmate and EZ Loader use (I've yet to figure out what brand they are).

My fenders were too skinny too, hence adding 1.5" of width by building a spacer and relocating the fenders further out. The fenders are actually really close to the hull, but that's a good thing as SMP trailers are notorious for being difficult to get a boat centered so this may help with that a little.

255/45/18. No idea on the offset; these are trailer-only wheels that Boatmate and EZ Loader use (I've yet to figure out what brand they are).

My fenders were too skinny too, hence adding 1.5" of width by building a spacer and relocating the fenders further out. The fenders are actually really close to the hull, but that's a good thing as SMP trailers are notorious for being difficult to get a boat centered so this may help with that a little.

ahh I'm with you know. Thanks Ive always wanted to do this on the last couple of boats.. Just always spent my money elsewhere. Guess a call to boatmate is in order

Nitrous,

Nice work! Looks awesome. (sticker is, well......)

You're right about the fenders, Boatmate puts wider fenders on the upgraded wheel packages, which is one of the reasons the upgrades are as pricey as they are.

The offset on the wheels should be +18. Not sure which wheel that is as it isn't current and the original center caps aren't on there. (which is relatively common depending on the design when used for a boat trailer)

Edited by tjklein

Nitrous,

Nice work! Looks awesome. (sticker is, well......)

You're right about the fenders, Boatmate puts wider fenders on the upgraded wheel packages, which is one of the reasons the upgrades are as pricey as they are.

The offset on the wheels should be +18. Not sure which wheel that is as it isn't current and the original center caps aren't on there. (which is relatively common depending on the design when used for a boat trailer)

I found I couldn't put the wide fenders on, as I didn't have the clearance. My boat sits between the fenders rather than over them like the newer, wider beam, boats. Right now the port fender carpet is sitting against the boat with a little space on the starboard side (maybe 1-1.5" tops). That's actually good since my boat isn't on as centered as I would like it, so when centered it should be just missing both fenders.

As for Boatmate, the upgrades are pricey because they are making a good margin on the upgrade. A pair of SS 10.75" fenders sold from Boatmate is $490, so you know it costs them less. Add in the wheel (my guess is their cost is well under $200, but let's call it $200), tires ($125 each their cost max), you are talking $1800. Their real cost is probably more towards $1500. Then subtract the 14" wheel/tires and those fenders they aren't putting on the trailer, the actual upgrade cost to Boatmate is likely under $1000 over the base wheel/tire/fender setup. I'm going to bet they charge WAY more than $1000 for the 18" wheel upgrade. That said, they are in the business to make money and if people are willing to pay it......

Starboard decal now gone. :) Port one some time this week. I'd be out on the boat now but it is too damn chilly with the gusts of wind we are having and I know it is only worse out on the water. :(

• Like 3

Tire/Wheel and fender upgrade is $1150-1250 for the Tier 1 depending on the dealer. Then it goes up about $80 per tier, so it's not crazy expensive, but like you said they save on the base tire/wheels and the standard fenders.

Overall if you trailer a lot it's worth it. Looks awesome, really awesome and it tracks much better on the road in my opinion.

thank you for removing your decals, you will be really pleased with them gone. Boat looks killer with the new wheels, ................one more thing though...........tint windows?

Your boat looks amazing, very nice!

I second the red Malibu decal, think it would look better without it. I'm sure you could find another decal to replace it.

Very, very nice. I'm also wanting to upgrade to 18" trailer wheels, but in a slightly different style/direction.

If possible, can you confirm that those wheels are 18x8", and an offset of ET18?

Your boat looks amazing, very nice!

I second the red Malibu decal, think it would look better without it. I'm sure you could find another decal to replace it.

Decal is already removed. :) My intention is to get the '14 Wakesetter decals...but we are talking around $550 shipped for the pair - they aren't exactly giving them away. With all the other stuff I've been spending on it will probably be mid to late season before I am willing to swing that kind of cash on some decals.

Very, very nice. I'm also wanting to upgrade to 18" trailer wheels, but in a slightly different style/direction.

If possible, can you confirm that those wheels are 18x8", and an offset of ET18?

I have no way of confirming it. No one has been able to even list who makes this wheel. From my research, I believe only Boatmate and EZ Loader carry this wheel. Boatmate doesn't list it on their site - EZ Loader does. No mention/markings of width or offset of this wheel. It fits, I can tell you that. :)

can you post some pictures of how you spaced your fenders out? My boat sits in between my fenders as well and I had all but given up hope of upgrading to 18s, I need to replace my wood as well so now is as good as a time as ever to upgrade.

I'll shoot some more pics tomorrow or Thursday when I pull her back out of the garage, since we should be hitting the water then. I'll get some pics of how it is spaced out.