Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acme 2315 fuel consumption/VLX/Monsoon 350

Fman

I have been tracking my fuel usage with my 2315 prop over the last three days. Not so much for the economics but more for how long can I run the boat before running out of fuel!! I hate the 44 gallon tank... It's not enough for us.

Anyway, so at sea level we used 5.1 gph wakeboarding, and surfing. Wakeboarding was full MLS, 400 lbs in rear bags, another 150-200 in bow weight, wedge... Btw, wakeboard wake was sick! Surfing 3000 lbs, wedge, MLS. More wakeboarding than surfing.

Next day we head to approx 2000' elevation and our consumption went to 6.1 gph. Same wakeboard and surf setup. We also towed people with less weight for wakeboarding. Average fuel consumption with 2315 is between 5-6 gph. Motor must loose efficiency at higher altitude?

Anyone else tracking there fuel consumption with 2315?

Motor must loose efficiency at higher altitude?

Yes. That's why the factory calls the more aggressive prop options "high altitude" props. Elevation is a killer for HP unless running a turbo motor.

You should use less fuel at high altitude, all other things being equal. On a fuel injected motor the ecu should cut fuel to accommodate the decrease in oxygen, which is why you have less power.

I just don't want to run out of fuel, we easily will run 6-7 hours in one day. I'm going to call it 6 hours before I need to head back in. We burned 36 gallons of fuel on Friday and rode hard all day. My fuel gauge starts reading empty with at least 1/4 tank left. Once I have ten gallons left I don't feel comfortable and will head back in. I can rely on the hour meter much better then my fuel gauge.

You should use less fuel at high altitude, all other things being equal. On a fuel injected motor the ecu should cut fuel to accommodate the decrease in oxygen, which is why you have less power.

But the other things aren't equal. He needs the same power to go the same speed, so the load on the engine is different. The throttle has to open wider, and fuel consumption goes up.

• Like 4

I just checked my fuel tank, strange, my 2011 had a 48 gallon tank, my 2013 has a 44 gallon tank. Not sure why Malibu installed a smaller tank???

I just checked my fuel tank, strange, my 2011 had a 48 gallon tank, my 2013 has a 44 gallon tank. Not sure why Malibu installed a smaller tank???

Time for a new LSV! 69 gallons of fun in my tank!

Burned 40 Gallons with 6 hours of continuous surfing and heavy on the wedge. Two to three clicks especially on the standard wave. Drove to the Marina twice fully sacked with the wedge stowed. 7 adults on the boat. That ate up a little gas. IMO, Not Bad...

The tanks are the same size. In 2012, they had to install "bladders" and additional EPA regulations that caused the tanks size to drop. If you check out the size of the LSV's for the same years, you will see the same thing happened to them.

Great info Fman.

BTW, aren't you to old to use the term "sick"?! ;)

Yes, only happens when I wear my flat billed Rockstar hat!!!

• Like 3

The tanks are the same size. In 2012, they had to install "bladders" and additional EPA regulations that caused the tanks size to drop. If you check out the size of the LSV's for the same years, you will see the same thing happened to them.

The 2011 was stamped 48 gallons, the 2013 is stamped 44 gallons. They are the same size?

Anyone know how many gallons the 22 Mxz tank has? I am nervous about just how bad fuel consumption is gonna be on my 13mxz 22 with 350 and performance prop I bought beginning of winter and am gonna use for the first time either next weekend or following one. My old 2007 nautique was a gas sipper and was absolutely great on gas. I'm also a little nervous about planing since I have 2 750 bags n rear lockers. I'm anxious to get going with it but nervous at same time

Time for a new LSV! 69 gallons of fun in my tank!

Would be interesting to see what the new LSV burns with the 450, I would think more than a VLX with the 350? I would love to have a 69 gallon tank!

Edited by Fman

Anyone know how many gallons the 22 Mxz tank has? I am nervous about just how bad fuel consumption is gonna be on my 13mxz 22 with 350 and performance prop I bought beginning of winter and am gonna use for the first time either next weekend or following one. My old 2007 nautique was a gas sipper and was absolutely great on gas. I'm also a little nervous about planing since I have 2 750 bags n rear lockers. I'm anxious to get going with it but nervous at same time

It should be stamped on the tank, if you look at it from the bilge area on starboard side. I would think at least 50 gallons.

Fman-- what RPMs are you turning at 5-6gph?

Great question. I think low 3000's for wakeboarding, and probably same range for surfing. I need to take a closer look next time out. Its definitely a thirsty engine, still a fan on the 2315, not once have I had issues planing the boat.

These guys in the new 450 LSVs will be into 8-12gph depending on what RPMs... 3000-4500 respectively

This would not surprise me with the weight and HP of the boat. They might need that 69 gallon tank for a 6-7 hour run time.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never tracked fuel consumption , I need gas, go get it. Even if that means pulling the boat, go to the gas station, and relaunch. Although two of the 3 places I'd mainly go have fuel on the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk