Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing behind houseboat

mibarefooter

We have a trip planned to Lake Cumberland this summer. We are taking our Sunscape. However I don't want to sink it or have it ram the back of the house boat. I know you guys can help me out. With the proper way of towing it.

not a scratch..... but gel coat cracks everywhere

we just tow on a 100 ft line from the bow hook.... be very deliberate when slowing down and you won't bang.... on that... always have spotters at the back when stopping.... if the weather is bad never tow... the boat needs to ride out rough water unattached or you will very likely chili dip it.

if you are towing multiples... daisy chain then.... towing two side by side... a collision will be inevitable.

we have always had someone else drive the ski boat and go ahead to find a good place to tie up. moving up and down coves is painfully slow if you are trying to find a place to tie up so the "advanced party" always worked well.

If you don't have that option, then a long, strong rope tied to the tow hook on the front of the boat, and a spotter when you slow down. The boat should track well behind the HB.

Most of the marinas will help you with the tie-up, and many of them want to tie it to the side. I wouldn't do that.

Cell phone coverage can be spotty around the lake so if you separate be sure you can communicate between the boats. Verizon seems to be best (they may have a deal with bluegrass cellular), ATT varies place to place.

I usually jump off the back of the houseboat and unhook the boat being towed as the houseboat slows down. Mostly because it usually means we are parking the houseboat. As long as you're careful you shouldn't hit the houseboat.

Those pictures of swamped inboards from being tethered to a houseboat always scare me. I think if I were going to do that, I'd do so with a good snap-on bow tonneau with some reinforcement underneath, and a closed windscreen.

How we have done 2 boats quite a few times. Never had a problem. Even towing the 1st boat this close, pretty tough for it to catch up to the houseboat so it's never even come close to hitting. This was coming home from the 2013 WOW on Shasta.

20130623_092045_zps28a0c956.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

We always pulled on a long line. we slowed and put two people in the boat out on the big lake and they picked the final stopping point. So at the end we had the ski boat to run lines or stay out of the way what ever was best. Travailing all together was part of house boating.

How we have done 2 boats quite a few times. Never had a problem. Even towing the 1st boat this close, pretty tough for it to catch up to the houseboat so it's never even come close to hitting. This was coming home from the 2013 WOW on Shasta.

20130623_092045_zps28a0c956.jpg

THis is how we do it as well.

Is the rumor true about the dripless shaft seals can burn up with the prop moving while towing and no water cooling it (because the motor is not running)? I was always afraid of this happening so we just drive the boats to our spot.

Is the rumor true about the dripless shaft seals can burn up with the prop moving while towing and no water cooling it (because the motor is not running)? I was always afraid of this happening so we just drive the boats to our spot.

Happened to me so just not a rumor. I still tow my boat behind the houseboat but I lock my shaft so it can't turn. When my dripless shaft seal failed it welded itself to the shaft, the dealer had to cut it off to replace it.

Edited by water_junky
formulaben

Those pictures of swamped inboards from being tethered to a houseboat always scare me.

If you recall where those pics are, I'd love to see them...

Happened to me so just not a rumor. I still tow my boat behind the houseboat but I lock my shaft so it can't turn. When my dripless shaft seal failed it welded itself to the shaft, the dealer had to cut it off to replace it.

What do you use to lock the shaft?

I made a clamp from some vise grips and a box end wrench that clamps on to the shaft coupler, I also attached the lanyard to it so if the clamp is in place you can't start the boat. I'll try to post some pictures tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you recall where those pics are, I'd love to see them...

My buddy sunk his boat towing behind a house boat at Shasta. I wouldnt do it unless its a calm and flat weekday.

I will try and find some pictures of the debri field and it being recovered.

I kinda agree, we usually send out the boats to scout out a good spot. Seems to just make things easier.

That's great when the houseboat is getting close to the location & you don't really have a spot yet. But if you are heading home, or you already have a spot (like when you attend a WOW), or you have a 4 hr journey to get there from the marina, we didn't see the point in burning 3 boats worth of gas. Not to mention it might be boring as hell for the ski boat driver if their alone driving 7 mph the whole time.

Granted there has to be concessions made if the water conditions make it not safe to do it.

Part of the appeal of traveling by houseboat is the ability to drive from the top deck..... not to mention the party up there!

Yea, you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

1. USE COMMON SENSE!

2. If you have a dripless shaft, put the boat in reverse with the engine off.

3. Save fuel by towing your toys near your predetermined destination.

4. Send out scout boats with a few miles left in the journey.

Done.

That's great when the houseboat is getting close to the location & you don't really have a spot yet. But if you are heading home, or you already have a spot (like when you attend a WOW), or you have a 4 hr journey to get there from the marina, we didn't see the point in burning 3 boats worth of gas. Not to mention it might be boring as hell for the ski boat driver if their alone driving 7 mph the whole time.

Granted there has to be concessions made if the water conditions make it not safe to do it.

Part of the appeal of traveling by houseboat is the ability to drive from the top deck..... not to mention the party up there!

We usually just pull kids and whoever wants a run to and from our location. Mind as well get your money's worth leaving and going home from your spot! :-)

Yea, you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

1. USE COMMON SENSE!

2. If you have a dripless shaft, put the boat in reverse with the engine off.

3. Save fuel by towing your toys near your predetermined destination.

4. Send out scout boats with a few miles left in the journey.

Done.

Great idea about putting boat in reverse while towing. To each is own, who really cares how you get there. Do what makes the most sense for your group.