Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

perfect pass-no rpm reading

hi guys, just installed stargazer p/p wakeboard edition to my 01 sunsetter vlx monsoon.Running engine on the trailer I've got no rpm reading on the display. Instructions say to pick up the grey wire at the tach. There are 4 wires there of which one is grey with a black stripe, I tapped into that one. Also, which makes me think I've not got the right wire , is that the other gauges have grey wires with black stipe also. Any suggestions? thanks

If I recall correctly, when installed PP in my old SLXi there was an extra gray wire already back there by itself. I don't know what a gray / black wire is for but it sounds like that's not the one.

i have the same issue. not really concerned about it b/c i dont use RPM mode and it doesnt affect the way it functions... but i tapped into 2 grey wires that are tied together on my 99 VLX so those two are wrong too.

Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure I need to get the grey tap at the medallion gauge control black box

If I recall correctly, when installed PP in my old SLXi there was an extra gray wire already back there by itself. I don't know what a gray / black wire is for but it sounds like that's not the one.

I installed my perfect pass last Spring and remember this. I had to remove a bunch of electrical tape to get at it as it was bundled with a lot of other wires.

Edited by dtm8119

grey according to the wire color map in this thread.

my docs also show canon connector color codes to include "gray----tachometer from distributor connector

As you know I took the tach pick up point from the tacho gauge (grey/black) which didn't work.

I've just now taken the pick up point from the large black plug on the Medallion 1600 box. On my boat there is still a grey/black wire at this plug(maybe 15 or so wires) but there is also a plain grey wire , that is the one to hook up to,works now. To expand a little further, the medallion box has the large black plug and a cream 5 wire plug which goes to the gauges.

The lone grey wire that many members have said is there waiting to be found was too hard to find amongst the spaghetti of numerous unused plugs and stereo wires. Hope this helps.

The link provided by tvano doesn't show there is a grey/black as well as a plain grey, so I don't know what's the deal there.