Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mothers Billet Metal Polish

I was searching for a way to clean up the tower racks on the new-to-us VLX since it looked like they hadn't been cleaned or wiped down ever and a few people said to get some Mothers metal polish. I picked some up and all I have to say is wow! This stuff did great. I've done one rack so far and there are some pits which I want to wetsand down, but overall I am very happy. The first picture is the rack I haven't done, the second one is the polished rack and the third picture is a side-by-side comparison.

kSsiP5g.jpg?1

gDYYTD1.jpg?1

RrbvXRX.jpg?1

Looks great! I actually just did the same with mine but took them to a professional shop and let them put elbow grease into them. I was very pleased with how they cleaned up. May need to try some mothers polish next time!

Talk about amazing timing! Look what I have laying on my floor. I was going to just give them a good bug cleaning and then see what the crew thought about trying to polish them. I am pretty sure I have some Mothers in the garage.

IMG_20140501_222740.jpg

Looks great! I actually just did the same with mine but took them to a professional shop and let them put elbow grease into them. I was very pleased with how they cleaned up. May need to try some mothers polish next time!

Thanks guys! I've been polishing it while watching House of Cards after getting home from work. I'd say conservatively I have 5 hours into one rack... :biggrin: I'll hit the other side up next week. My fingers are definitely going to need a break!

Not to hijack the thread, but wow - House of Cards is getting freaky in Season 2.

Mother's products are great and I have also had great success with a metal polishing product I got years ago for my motorcycle called Blue Job. Cleans without scratching at all.

Looks great! Don't assume the previous owner never cleaned them. I did mine before the start of last season and you could brush your teeth in the reflection. You should see them this year...look as rough as yours did before you polished them. I would say to invest in some board rack covers if you don't have any yet. I do but got slack about putting them on last year and the bugs got me!

http://www.speakersox.com/image_viewer.htm?../images/blackrack.JPG

I use the same Mother Billet polish with a 6" electric hand polisher on my SkySki foil. Works great & lasts for a quite a while! And I can do the whole foil in a like 10 or 15 minutes without even removing it from the seat.

Looking good and that billet cleaner is some great stuff. I once made my own light bar from raw aluminium and finished it off with mothers, smooth as glass.

I used a couple microfiber towels. I have a Porter Cable DA polisher, but only have 6" pads for it and I think a 6" pad would've been a little overkill. Maybe I'll try the Dremel out on the next one - it'd probably be a lot faster than hand polishing.

Off-topic, but does anyone know what I can use to get compound/polish off a G3 tower? I tried my best to tape it off, but somehow managed to still hit it.

Edited by bbbabe1

Dremel works great but ya gotta get a lot of the little polish wheels. Went thru six on a pair of racks. Saves a lot of time tho.