Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Star One Tower!

Jimmy Buffett

Along with pics of the tower, let's hear about the powder-coated windshield frame. Specifically, what was involved in removing and, more importantly, re-installing the glass!

There are a few good detailed posts on removing and re-installing the windshield. Couple points from my experience to add on.

The frontward bolts are held on with nuts, and they will not come off just by backing them out with a screwdriver. This will take 2 people to unbolt them. Duh.

Once you have it off the boat and you have all the screws and rivets out, it does take some effort to pull it all apart but it does come apart. Had to drill out the rivets, and i'm going to reinstall regular screws instead of new rivets. I couldn't find rivets that matched the old ones.

For the screws i bought stainless screws and spray painted the heads of them satin black with some rustoleum. They match the black powder coat well. Then i have some anti-seize to put on them before reinstalling (aluminum frame + stainless screws = dissimilar metals and corrosion issues).

Take very detailed pictures of every joint and angle before you disassemble. Wish i had taken more. Then put the gaskets in separate ziploc bags and label them carefully. I saved all my old gaskets and ended up reusing a few of them. I ordered new gaskets from Taylor Made but not all of them matched what i had originally.

I had a powder coating shop strip the old paint and powder coat it in satin black. Looks sweet (pics to come). I think it was $200 all in and was done within a week.

When putting the windshield back together, i put the gasket on the glass first, and then eased it into the frame. That actually wasn't too hard and didn't require silicone or anything else. Getting everything lined up exactly as you fit the pieces together is very hard but it does go back together.

I have all the pieces dry fit together now and am going to set it on the boat and make sure the walk-thru fits and closes right, then drill some new pilot holes and set the screws. Should be done this weekend.