Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New/Used Hoist Set-Up for Echelon

MALI-MONSTER

I got a used hoist for my Echelon. The bunks and carpet need to be replaced, and the bunks need to be adjusted for the Echelon hull. I have a few questions.

I think that I have the procedure for the replacement of the bunks and carpet down from the lengthy trailer bunk replacement thread.

Last weekend I took my boat in to get a bimini top installed, and it won’t be back for a couple of weeks. I want to work on the hoist this weekend. Does anybody know the distance that the bunks should be separated (at the front end and back end). How high should the bunks be off the cradle frame to allow the tracking fins to not hit? My bunks are 2 by 6s that are 10 feet long and mounted to the hoist horizontally. I know I could get this info from measuring my trailer bunks, but it is not accessible for another week. Anybody with the same hoist/bunk set-up and an Echelon/Response SV23 hull out there willing to measure theirs?

Also, what maintenance should be done to a hoist. The cable is in great shape. I was planning on using some lube on the pulleys (silicone?). What should be done to the winch … grease? It is a manual crank style. The hoist is a Harbor Master Elite.

That is a great lift, nice job! My lift is 2 hours away or I'd quickly measure it up, and we won't be there until the 10th. I'd say call Harbormaster for maintenance questions and/or a manual. Be careful if greasing the winch, there is a clutch in there that does not like lubrication.

@Mali-Monster: I posted some Echy dimensions on the 95 Echelon trailer post. Set the bunks so the stringers rest on the bunks which is about 2 feet apart (not exactly sure on that but slightly wider than a small block V8). As for hoist maintenance, you are correct on the items. Verify all the pulleys actually spin freely, you might have to disassemble and grease or clean them. The pulley bushings can and do wear out or corrode, cables can rust, fray or get crushed inside the winch. Give them a good look. The breakpoint for cables tends to be right at the waterline. Stainless cables are longer lasting, more expensive and also do not bend as well as galvanized. Make sure there is no binding on the support structure as it goes up and down so some unloaded testing is a good thing to do.

@Mali-Monster: I posted some Echy dimensions on the 95 Echelon trailer post. Set the bunks so the stringers rest on the bunks which is about 2 feet apart (not exactly sure on that but slightly wider than a small block V8). As for hoist maintenance, you are correct on the items. Verify all the pulleys actually spin freely, you might have to disassemble and grease or clean them. The pulley bushings can and do wear out or corrode, cables can rust, fray or get crushed inside the winch. Give them a good look. The breakpoint for cables tends to be right at the waterline. Stainless cables are longer lasting, more expensive and also do not bend as well as galvanized. Make sure there is no binding on the support structure as it goes up and down so some unloaded testing is a good thing to do.

Thanks for the info.

In the other thread you wrote, "guide widths: inner bunk = 13.5" from center or 27" spread at bunk centerline, outer bunk = 24" from center or 48" spread at bunk centerline."

So would it be wise to have my bunks spaced at 27" in the front and 48" in the back, or should they be 27" appart all the way down to match the stringers?