Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Travel Insurance - Boat is coming from Maryland to BC Canada

rychuk

Bought a boat from Chessie Marine in Elkton, Maryland. Can't really get a straight answer from either the dealer or the shipper on insuring the boat and trailer while it is on its journey. The Shipper is insured and I have seen all of his documentation.

The shipper mentioned that 9 out of 10 dealers will put a 30 day tag on it for the trip but didn't sound 100%. What about a licence plate for the trailer? I am sure this is required in the states as it is in Canada.

I have talked to my sister who is in insurance and her company wants an additional $250 to cover the boat while in transit. Any other guys from Canada have some advice?

If you bought the boat, shouldn't you have insurance on it now? And wouldn't that cover it for the ride home?

I know I had a binder on my boat before I picked it up from the dealer. The finance company required it, so if you are paying cash that might not be required, but it was at least available to me...

If not...let your sister insure it for $250 for the trip home.

Tag doesn't seem to me like it would be your problem if you are not the one hauling it home.

About $2500. I am getting it insured right now but they still want an additional $250 for the trip. I know it's worth it but holy crap am I burning through funds on everything else, prop, tint, 5% GST etc..!

• Like 1

About $2500. I am getting it insured right now but they still want an additional $250 for the trip. I know it's worth it but holy crap am I burning through funds on everything else, prop, tint, 5% GST etc..!

Get used to it...consider this 'training' for the costs of boat ownership! :)

Thx. And like RTS said, it's just the start.

Rychuk,

We purchase a used Wakesetter last year from Chessie Marine (Andy). I had the boat shipped down to Atlanta and everything went great. We insured it just to protect us...they did provide a 30 day tag and found that to be the norm from most all dealers. I hope you had (having), as great of an experience with those guys as we did.

Best of luck and congrats!

Get the insurance & don't rush to do the other 19 mods till later. Most of us waited to get all the cool things done till we'd had the boat for a bit.

$200. RIV fee at the border.. warranty transfer (maybe) - $800.00 ish..... i have found on all the stuff I have imported you need to allow for about 10% additional on everything incidental getting it to your driveway.. above exchange.

Yeah $195 for RIV. Inspection fee is $80? at crappy tire. Not to mention terrible exchange rate at the moment.

But get a binder on the boat, I went through ICBC and got one that covered the boat from the dealer in Utah to BC.

The insurance is between you and the shipper. Chessie is also my dealer, and unless they are actually driving it up to you with their vehicle it is on you. Chessie is a top notch dealer. I hope you have a good experience with them.

Chessie has been great. This is my 4th wake (first 3 sold with close to 1000hrs on em) boat so I know they are money pits!!! Worth every dime though.

I will get the insurance, you can never have enough.