Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stringer Replacement Material list

Mullinsracing

I have an 84 skier that is in need of new floors and stringers. I have read until I am blue in the face on multiple forums and think I have the process figured out. My question is for the guys that have done this project is to help me out on a material list. I am wanting to start this project in the next month so trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start.

As for stringer material I have decided on douglas fir if I can source some in East Texas.

For the floor I am planning on using marine plywood that I will coat in resin.

My question is this:

What fiberglass do I need for the stringers, floor covering and to tab in everything? I've seen some use 4", 6" and 8" wide roven for tabbing in stringers then doing wider strip over the top to tie them together.

What resin do I need to use for this?

Also and estimate on how much resin I will use and how much fiberglass mat.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Mullinsracing

Do you have a boat builder or glass repair shop nearby? I have been able to buy resin by the gallon milk jug (bring your jugs) and glass by the foot from them before. Most are friendly and helpful, and will suggest methods.

Since you are going with treated plywood, you might want to get treated stringers also. Maybe you can find #1 treated, or buy all your wood and have it treated.

You will need several gallons of polyester resin for the whole job, but you can also ask about prepping the boat and wood and getting the glass shop to shoot everything with a chop gun. If you have everything ready, they will do it pretty cheaply.

thanks for the reply but there are no glass shops in my area so im on my own.

Can anyone who has done this shed a little more light on the amount of materials I will use?

Sure can, I have just finished floor and stringer replacement on my boat, its an old Skier too. I like to use 1708 biax, easy to work with, conforms quite well to various shapes, and very strong.

4 x 18 litre pals of Poly Iso non-waxed resin

3 x Ice cream pails of Interfibre (for bedding the stringers/fillets, and the deck to the stringers/deck to hull)

2 x 1 litre of MEKP

150' of 4" 1708 biax (1st tab both floor and stringers)

180' of 8" 1708 biax (2nd tab both floor and stringers, strengthening motor mounts, caping secondary stingers)

170' of 12" 1708 biax (3rd tab and capping primary stringers)

60' of 48" wide 1.5 Oz CSM (to coat the top and bottom of the floor)

bunch of cheap paint brushes

bunch of small 4" rollers

2 gallons of Acetone

plus all the usual fibreglass stuff.

Hope that gets ya started, the lengths of biax and CSM are just from me working it out in my head right now, I can't remember how much I bought as I did it all in stages based on a 10' secondary stinger and a 18' primary stinger.

Thanks 2014skier I have been following your thread since the beginning. That's what I was looking for. Do you mind if I PM you with any questions I run across?