Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Right About This Time....Are You Guys Out On The Boat Every Weekend?

Afun

Here's what we do and most of the rest of the PDX crew.

We usually go out mid week, Wednesday afternoon evening, sometimes Thursday, sometimes Tuesday, just whatever works. Its mostly a ride till ya drop day and then maybe a beer or two after.

Saturdays are ride and get turnt up days. Usually ride from 11- 4 or so and then have fun. Not may kids around for this. Some wives, gf's, and a healthy dose of whores. (good entertainment).

Sunday is family day. All the kids come out , wives, parents, ect. We usually find a nice beach area and take people that want to chill, hang, whatever to this area where all the boats are tied up. If a few of wanna peel off and ride we jump in one boat and go get it done for a bit, come back and chill.

Since we have so many different boats in the crew it makes it less painful because we don't always ride just one boat. Its split up between 7 or 8 boats. Your not always burning up your gas. No one in the group pitches in for gas as long as you are an owner. You just take care of your own, some weeks that's a lot and then a few weeks its nil.

That's what the Saturday and Sundays are looking like for me. I have not done any mid-week boating yet. I do get out of work at noon on Fridays, but sometimes it's just too much. I think towing and not having a Marina has created this. I can't complain, my set-up is sweet.

I hear what your saying, and I never had a tube before kids, but let me throw in some extra perspective.

For younger kids, the main reason they don't want to learn to ski/wakeboard is a fear of falling. I think it is mostly the waiting for the boat to come back. The tube is enticing enough that the kids will want to do it. We started our kids on the tube at 3 or 4 years old. Make some games... get two or three on the tube and see who can stand up the longest. The goal is for kids to fall of the tube and it not be traumatic.

The tube is also good for making extra room when the boat stops. We let our float 10' or so behind the boat. They are climbing all over it. When we ride, we anchor the tube outside the ski run.

That last story about the devastating accident that occurred last year with the father pulling his kids on the tube did it for me. That story affected me.

We usually get out at least once a weekend (weather permitting) with the whole family (myself, wife, son age 5 and daughter age 2). This is usually spent cruising and I bring the big two person tube for my son and his friends if they come out, and then I will get a wakeboard and/or surf run or two in. Trips with the kids are usually only about 2-3 hours since we keep the boat in a slip 5 minutes from the house, this is really easy to do.

Then, I try to get out at least every other week on a weeknight, or sometimes a weekend, with just some of my adult friends to just wakeboard and surf. Again, these are usually a 2-3 hour trip after work which is easy to do having the boat in a slip.

Bottom line is, I don't care if the kids are tubing, swimming, skiing, wakeboarding or surfing, as long as there's a smile on their face, which is pretty hard not to do when you're on the water. I plan to get my son an EZ Ski Trainer this Summer to get him out there on something other than the tube. Until this year, my wife has only allowed him to be on this huge two person tube that she could go out with him on, which I really can't blame her for. But this year he's ready to try the ski trainer and I think he'll love it.

Our 4 year old likes to kneeboard and we have him about 8' behind the swim platform. Just far enough back to get him off the hump of the wake, but close enough we can talk to him.24df1d9ed48ad1d50b58929fac1810d0_zps0553

Can you show me how you tie up the rope? I guess you make a knot and put it on the ski pole. I have one I could use. Getting a kneeboard may not be a good idea. How fast are you going.

Edited by Afun

Saturday: Lower boat in water at 7-9 AM. Meet at the course, ski 2-3 sets each, head home by 9-12. Get on with rest of life.

Sunday: Repeat.

An all day event on the water is great and I love it, but you need to balance life and family needs as well. Maybe only one whole day a week on the water, or two shorter days like I have found works best for us. We don't have kids so maybe my point of view is a little skewed.

And getting the kids in the water. This is what got my brothers 8 year old and 3 year old in the water.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Airhead-EZ-Ski-100-Trainer&i=715458&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373135343538

Can you show me how you tie up the rope? I guess you make a knot and put it on the ski pole. I have one I could use. Getting a kneeboard may not be a good idea. How fast are you going.

We waterski also, so we have a segmented ski rope that works well. We are headed out tomorrow and I will try to remember to get a picture for you.

We bought our boat for the primary reason of family time. We went to the lake EVERY weekend as a kid and they are the best memories I have from my childhood, and I want to make sure my kids have the same opportunity. My twin brother and I would start asking when we were going to take the boat out as soon as we woke up, and every 5 minutes until we actually launched. It is the main reason I have such a passion for it now! So, to answer your question yes we will be out every weekend. And, family almost every time. We will have a few "adult only" lake days.

• Like 1

Afun. Simple solution. You just need to buy a house on the lake. For as little as $400K you can be living on the water and your boat will be on a lift.

Most houses on Norris are far away from civilization. It would be a good second whenever I win the lottery...

Afun....with all those trainers, you don't want to tie the rope to the boat at all. You have an adult hold the other end so that if they fall, you can release the rope immediately. That way you don't risk dragging them if they don't let go on their end. Sometimes the little ones don't know to let go, and dragging them while the boat stops can be scary for them.

• Like 2

Lake Tellico or Loudon

Tellico is far but real nice. Loudon, surprisingly had a nice time their several weeks ago. I got my issues with Loudon. I love Norris!

Tellico is far but real nice. Loudon, surprisingly had a nice time their several weeks ago. I got my issues with Loudon. I love Norris!

Melton Hill then. Exact same water from Norris and lots of homes available on the lake in Hardin Valley. Melton Hill has the best water conditions for watersports in the area.

Melton Hill then. Exact same water from Norris and lots of homes available on the lake in Hardin Valley. Melton Hill has the best water conditions for watersports in the area.

But it's the freakin coldest lake on the planet!!

But it's the freakin coldest lake on the planet!!

You really think so???? Well, perhaps you are right. I was on Norris last weekend and my ski and boarding sessions were pretty short with the water at 65. NorrisMike had way more grit than me as rode quite a bit longer.

You really think so???? Well, perhaps you are right. I was on Norris last weekend and my ski and boarding sessions were pretty short with the water at 65. NorrisMike had way more grit than me as rode quite a bit longer.

NorrisMike is dead to me....he didn't come to my party and he skipped out on a surf session with me!!

Feel free to come visit us in MN :rofl:

Melton Hill is usually 7-10 degrees colder than Norris. Sorry about MN....it will get warmer soon!

This is an example of a affordable home on Melton Hill Lake.....I like it

http://lakefrontlainey.com/idx/200-Jones-Lane-Clinton-TN-37716-mls_874353?SavedSearch=20130927021004503922000000&PropertyType=A&pg=1&OrderBy=-ListPrice&p=y&n=n

Melton Hill is usually 7-10 degrees colder than Norris. Sorry about MN....it will get warmer soon!

http://lakefrontlainey.com/idx/200-Jones-Lane-Clinton-TN-37716-mls_874353?SavedSearch=20130927021004503922000000&PropertyType=A&pg=1&OrderBy=-ListPrice&p=y&n=n

Wow, that is cheap

Once school gets out, we are at the lakehouse just about every weekend with some full and partial weeks mixed in. Until then, we get down every 2-3 weeks.

NorrisMike is dead to me....he didn't come to my party and he skipped out on a surf session with me!!

Bahahahahaha!!!! Perhaps he was scared of your intentions. He is pretty weak and frail these days and can't defend himself well.

• Like 2

Problem solved......

That's only because it sounded like too much fun :)

We use to go multiple times a week and all weekend. We even went through the winter - snowing or not. Mainly for watersports only and averaged 150+ hours for about 3 years straight. My wife got pregnant and we still went all the time... Then my daughter was born in Aug 2012 and the rest of that year slowed WAY down. 2013 was decent all things considered but still way down on hours of use (maybe 60). I think every year will ramp back up as the little one gets older..... until we have our 2nd child.....

But YES, every time we go out I am doing something behind the boat - Slalom ski, hydrofoil, or surf.