Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Right About This Time....Are You Guys Out On The Boat Every Weekend?

Afun

I am trying to find some balance for my wallet and family. It seems like I could Surf for hours every weekend Saturday and Sunday. I usually meet my family when the Surfing is done. Kids are still a little to rambunctious on the boat to actually Surf. Bottom Line.....the wallet is taking a big hit. I am also wanting to just dedicate time on the boat to the family.

Are you guys out every weekend?

If you are...are you doing watersports every time you are out?

I am checking to see what the Crews boating season looks like. I usually tow 15 minutes to the ramp.

Kids are still a little to rambunctious on the boat to actually Surf.

Huh? In our crew, everyone surfs. Stinkers 6 and up: learn to surf or ride with Mom or Dad. Stinkers 5 and below: jump on the board with Mom or Dad. Surfing with stinkers is fun if you are trying to do tricks. My girl stands on my shoulders and waves at other boats as we go by.

Drain sacks for them to wakeboard if they don't want to surf. Lots of swim breaks.

Still a bit early in the year. But give it another month & we will be.

I live 2 blocks from the lake & keep the boat in a slip, trailer by the house. I can leave work at 5, change clothes & jump on the golf cart with the ski gear & be on the boat with a cold beer by 6 & have a 2 -3 hours to mess around before it gets dark. Weekends I will probably go out for a couple hours in the morning or evening, but only spend the day out there maybe once or twice a month. Plus we will be going on camping trips around the PNW a couple times a month, usually taking at least 1 of the boats.

Well, if it wasn't 30 degrees we would be ;) Boating/skiing/wakeboarding is a family thing for us, typically every Sunday if the weather is nice and sometimes in the evening during the week. While our kids are older now, they have been on the boats since they were maybe 2 years old. If you can't teach them to sit still for a while or keep them entertained then the boat isn't really the issue ;)

My family is my crew so if I'm out they're out. That may change a bit this summer with my brother moving back to town and some mid-week sessions, but my kids are the real reason I bought the boat so the weekends and available weeknights are theirs. We try to go out when we can depending on weather, sports schedules, summer camps, etc. and probably use our boat between 10-20 times per year. There was one year we only used it once, but it was still worth having. It's one of the reasons we bought an older one so if it has to sit at least it's paid for.

As far as watersports every outing? No, we take the dog to the sandbar and swim for a while quite often. Watersports for us is probably only half the reason we own it.

A lot of times if I go out after work its mostly to relax and spend time with the family. Watersports outings are usually saved for early mornings on the weekends with a more dedicated crew.

I could not get to the ramp without my "stinkers"! They would be so hurt if I left them out. I learned several years ago to let them jump in whenever I change riders. This gives them a break for fun, and keeps the sanity in the boat.

• Like 2

Huh? In our crew, everyone surfs. Stinkers 6 and up: learn to surf or ride with Mom or Dad. Stinkers 5 and below: jump on the board with Mom or Dad. Surfing with stinkers is fun if you are trying to do tricks. My girl stands on my shoulders and waves at other boats as we go by.

Drain sacks for them to wakeboard if they don't want to surf. Lots of swim breaks.

My son is the one that usually causes the stress. He is 3 and full of energy. We like to have adult time on the boat and also family time. My wife is also a little protective about putting them in the back the boat. She is starting to loosen up. Last season was our first season on the lake. Maybe this season a trainer ski for the bigger one.

We are out most every weekend. A typical day for us is, morning while the water is calm we get in as much wakeboarding as we can. Late morning/early afternoon is when we swim, relax and get our surfing in. Late afternoon til sunset we are back to wakeboading in the smooth water.

We probably average 3 full days a week on the water. Like a few have said we bought the boat to spend time as a family and I only do one or two days a year without the kids, usually while they are busy playing and grandma's house. We have water sports gear with us every time out and if someone wants to do it, we do it. I have 5 kids from 1-11 and usually another family with us making a total of 8 kids under 11, so I can't imagine a boat more hectic than ours. We let the kids go first and do anything they want, but when they are done they know it's the adults turn and are ok with it. With surfgate the small one moving around doesn't matter and the older ones know to sit still while someone is behind the boat. While changing riders it is a free for all with kids jumping from every side of the boat.

• Like 3

I am working 1/2 days every Wednesday May~ Oct so we go out midweek for sports, then we will typically go out on Sunday afternoon for social/sports. I am the same way my family is the crew. We have 3 teenagers, and all can drive the boat so our Wednesday trips are more for us, Sunday is more invite others and less sports as the lakes get very crowded

To the lake, go we must.

• Like 1

Every other weekend. Family is part of the crew. My son is four and loves to watch as long he gets his time on the tube and swimming. The sooner you get them out there, the more they will enjoy it

Jdubb

Every other weekend. Family is part of the crew. My son is four and loves to watch as long he gets his time on the tube and swimming. The sooner you get them out there, the more they will enjoy it

Jdubb

I will probably will never do the tubing. Not a big fan of that. A ski trainer this year for my older daughter. She almost has swimming down. Learning how to swim will come first. I do separate Adult time and family time on the boat.

I am not a huge fan of tubing either, but my theory in life is to make my family's life as good as it can be. If that means pulling my son on the tube for 30 minutes a day to get a few hours of riding, then I think that is a fair deal.

I bought a tube wakeboard trainer for this summer as well

Edited by Jdubb16
  • Like 3

I am not a huge fan of tubing either, but my theory in life is to make my family's life as good as it can be. If that means pulling my son on the tube for 30 minutes a day to get a few hours of riding, then I think that is a fair deal.

I bought a tube wakeboard trainer for this summer as well

I looked up that tube wakeboard trainer. They have one made out of wood at West Marine. Does yours come with its own rope? How many feet behind the boat you think you will start at?

I looked up that tube wakeboard trainer. They have one made out of wood at West Marine. Does yours come with its own rope? How many feet behind the boat you think you will start at?

The EZ Ski trainer - http://www.ezski.net/

The wood one you mention is a bit tougher, only because they have to stand on their own. http://www.owsports.ca/summer/water-sports/water-skis/obrien-platform-eco-trainer/

The inflatable floats on it's own so it can be towed slower, can be ridden either sitting or standing & is much easier for little kids.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Here's what we do and most of the rest of the PDX crew.

We usually go out mid week, Wednesday afternoon evening, sometimes Thursday, sometimes Tuesday, just whatever works. Its mostly a ride till ya drop day and then maybe a beer or two after.

Saturdays are ride and get turnt up days. Usually ride from 11- 4 or so and then have fun. Not may kids around for this. Some wives, gf's, and a healthy dose of whores. (good entertainment).

Sunday is family day. All the kids come out , wives, parents, ect. We usually find a nice beach area and take people that want to chill, hang, whatever to this area where all the boats are tied up. If a few of wanna peel off and ride we jump in one boat and go get it done for a bit, come back and chill.

Since we have so many different boats in the crew it makes it less painful because we don't always ride just one boat. Its split up between 7 or 8 boats. Your not always burning up your gas. No one in the group pitches in for gas as long as you are an owner. You just take care of your own, some weeks that's a lot and then a few weeks its nil.

I will probably will never do the tubing. Not a big fan of that.

I hear what your saying, and I never had a tube before kids, but let me throw in some extra perspective.

For younger kids, the main reason they don't want to learn to ski/wakeboard is a fear of falling. I think it is mostly the waiting for the boat to come back. The tube is enticing enough that the kids will want to do it. We started our kids on the tube at 3 or 4 years old. Make some games... get two or three on the tube and see who can stand up the longest. The goal is for kids to fall of the tube and it not be traumatic.

The tube is also good for making extra room when the boat stops. We let our float 10' or so behind the boat. They are climbing all over it. When we ride, we anchor the tube outside the ski run.

• Like 3

For us the river is a mile down the road and we usually try to ride Saturday and/or Sunday morning early. Usually only 1-3 people ride and we're back home in an hour.

I'm hoping that this summer if work isn't crazy busy I can take off one afternoon a week to ride mid-week...but it probably won't happen :(

I fought this battle with my wife for years. We have compromised now. first - yes out every weekend. Second - after we launch, i usually ride and the rest of the day is swiming, cruising and laying out...you know the family stuff. This has been working for me.

Edited by 40oz

I hear what your saying, and I never had a tube before kids, but let me throw in some extra perspective.

For younger kids, the main reason they don't want to learn to ski/wakeboard is a fear of falling. I think it is mostly the waiting for the boat to come back. The tube is enticing enough that the kids will want to do it. We started our kids on the tube at 3 or 4 years old. Make some games... get two or three on the tube and see who can stand up the longest. The goal is for kids to fall of the tube and it not be traumatic.

The tube is also good for making extra room when the boat stops. We let our float 10' or so behind the boat. They are climbing all over it. When we ride, we anchor the tube outside the ski run.

Couldn't agree more about the fear of falling. My son didn't want to try surfing but when I showed him we surf at 10mph and he jumps off the tube at 13-15mph he gave it a try and now loves to surf.

You're in for a great summer! The kid time is the best at those ages. Yes go every chance you get. Take ur run early then play with them ....tubes boards, whatever it takes. Some of my best memories with my kids, and theirs I hope. During the week dedicated or should I say obsessed go after work! Good memories there too!.

Our 4 year old likes to kneeboard and we have him about 8' behind the swim platform. Just far enough back to get him off the hump of the wake, but close enough we can talk to him.

24df1d9ed48ad1d50b58929fac1810d0_zps0553

• Like 3