Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Avalanche owners - I didn't believe it until I tried it either...

I actually drive an escalade ext which is basically a fancy avalanche. I ran across this and had to try it. I have to say this worked great. it cost me a $15 heat gun from Home Depot and about 30 minutes. the other plastic parts on mine are painted, but my buddy has an avalanche and it worked equally as well on all the exterior black plastic parts on his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9bC4TZh_SQ

Hmm, I'll have to look into this more.

I have an '02, which is the first (and weird year), as it has a lot of differences over the rest of the comparable models ('03 - '06). One is the '02 has a lighter gray cladding. Mine, which has never seen any garage time nor much treatment to the plastic, is faded BADLY.

I happen to have that exact heat gun too. Reading the Youtube comments (that alone will make you want to gouge your eyes out), some say that it will damage the plastic or fade back even worse after 3 weeks. Looks like I'll need to do more research before I take a heat gun to my truck.

On my preliminary research I am seeing mixed reviews.

- People that are posting that they did it and love it, but no longer term results

- Those saying it works but started fading within a few weeks or months

- Those saying it worked at first then the plastic started turning green

- Folks stating that it worked then faded within weeks to WORSE than it previously was, or if there were tiger stripes in the plastic, that got even worse

I'm not sold yet.

Ive done this many many times with Sea Doo's. It, along with spraying no touch tire shine on Gel Coat is a day of the sale trick at best. Never lasts. I've never seen it end up worse than before. But its not a long term thing...

I've done this on the plastics on my KLR650, then slathered it in 303 Protectant. Made a HUGE difference.

Haven't done it on the Avalanche. But have tried a list of other products. The one that really has worked for me is called CarWorx Refinish Restorer. Really made a big difference when I applied it last fall & still looks black today. Time will tell how long it lasts.

I've done this on the plastics on my KLR650, then slathered it in 303 Protectant. Made a HUGE difference.

Haven't done it on the Avalanche. But have tried a list of other products. The one that really has worked for me is called CarWorx Refinish Restorer. Really made a big difference when I applied it last fall & still looks black today. Time will tell how long it lasts.

+1, another vote for Refinish Restorer. I used this product on my '07 Avalanche 2 years ago and it held up great. I'm getting ready to re-coat it again this spring as some fading is starting to show up again. The stuff is not cheep but if I get two years in-between applications, I'm happy.

Jeep guys have been doing the heat gun - propane torch trick on the plastic fender flares for a long time. Propane torch seems to work better but you have to be a lot more careful with it.

On my old YJ it seemed to last pretty well, but it didn't spend much time sitting outside in the sun unless it was being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfN-iRwFbOM

Edited by oldjeep
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...