Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wedge on echelon?

bovhica

I have done some reading on ways to create a better wake for wakeboarding on our slalom boat. I originally wanted to place ballast sacs but have decided I dont want to give up the room or floor space. I also want the least hassle and time of switching from slalom to wakboard ready. We dont need the perfect wake, just something a bit bigger for some novice boarders. I decided that the best option available given my preferences would be to get a single sack for the bow locker and a wedge. I know its not a perfect setup but I think it will work for our needs. Anybody have a similiar setup in their DD?

Also which wedge will work for the echy? I think I would like the floater from what I have read, but am not sure and also not sure if it would fit. Before I call the dealer, I figured I would get some expert opinions from the Crew. My swim platform does have openings between slats and I have read that we will get some spray...how bad is the question? Also how high or low is optimal install for each wedge? We will not be surfing just wakeboarding.

Echelon will accept a wedge.

I love the "we will not be surfing" quote. Check back in at the end of this year. I bet you'll at least try it. Then you'll be on here buying some huge sac like Martin... :whistle:

• Like 2

My brother in law has a manual wedge on his 93. He used some thin pieces of plexiglas on the underside of his platform to eliminate spray.

Good idea....thanks

Echelon will accept a wedge.

I love the "we will not be surfing" quote. Check back in at the end of this year. I bet you'll at least try it. Then you'll be on here buying some huge sac like Martin... :whistle:

Probably right...thanks.

we started with a sunsetter DD with just a wedge and it worked great. Just be ready for increased fuel consumption and crappy handling. It's like dragging an anchor.

• Like 2

We have the wedge on our '94 Echelon Lx, came with the boat when I bought it in '08. It adds a lot to the otherwise little wake, and takes up no interior space. We need it to surf with too.

There is some spray in the back because when the wedge is in the stowed position a small portion of it drags on the water, if you are on plane at around 25-30mph (tubing speed....yes I said tubing). Above that and there is no spray. And when deployed, in the down position, there is no spray.

My teak deck was shot with a sloppy repair by the prior owner, so I bought a used one off of a '06 VRide, and it fits perfectly, with the access door.

All that said, novice boarders do not need the wedge. It makes the wake kind of steep, so it takes a little getting used to. I'd suggest going without it if you are just getting into wakeboarding. Instead focus on the form, shorten the rope to start getting wake-to-wake, surface 180's, 360's, simple front or tail grabs, etc. If you have someone that is mastering that, and needs more "hang time" in the air THEN get the wedge.

Unless you change your mind on surfing...then you need a wedge now plus a whole bunch of ballast.

• Like 2

We put a wedge on my family's 93 Echelon. It's been on the boat since maybe 97 or so? Works great. Its a great option for getting a bigger wake without having to fill the whole boat with ballast.

Also the 93 Echelon will be up for sale here in the next few weeks if anyone is interested PM me. It's in great shape.

Thanks for all the tips. I do plan on putting a sack in the bow locker. How much weight at the bow would I need with the wedge for a decent wake for wakeboarding?

I need to sell that massive say now that I've got gates. :-) It sure did make a killer wave for a DD with that huge bag.

How big? Brand? Model? And most importantly...price?;)

I just upgraded from a 93 echelon that had a wedge and I plumbed a 370 in the ski locker. I was told by some friends that my echelon hit as hard or harder than DD air nautiques. Not bad for a smaller boat!

I just upgraded from a 93 echelon that had a wedge and I plumbed a 370 in the ski locker. I was told by some friends that my echelon hit as hard or harder than DD air nautiques. Not bad for a smaller boat!

The ski locker in the bow?