Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sad day for the Xgames

wakebrdr94

Watching people play video games is the most unexciting, un X-like thing I can think of. Besides flower arranging.

Oooh, their going to have flower arranging in X-games now?

• Like 2
There's a reason for it. Follow the money. X-games has been losing money from the beginning and the only reason it's still around is ESPN and Disney

I they are losing money here at the LA venue, then they are poorly running it. Downtown is packed. Mobs of people, money being spent, etc. how much money can this really bring in? I know the hamming segment is a huge market, but how many are willing to pay for a ticket into staples just to watch a match? Just crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've seen and heard it won't be run like the rest of the events. As an example of how poorly run the Xgames are, they have started charging industry people to gain their credentials to attend. That's like Nascar charging some of the team members to show up to a race.

I do have to say that the Staples Center was sold out this past year to watch the World Championship of League of Legends, an online computer game. E-sports have been growing over the last couple of years. So it isn't completely out of line to feel they could attract more people with them than other extreme sports.

It stinks that they are cutting wake but don't blame the games.

Come on man, watch the games :)

Okay, I forgot about that. Does this mean he will do it again this year? I really don't see anyone having anything new up their sleeve.

Wow, this is stupid. As a college student that plays call of duty for fun, I'm aware that pro gaming is getting more popular. There's no way that I support it.

Bring back more of the actual action sports instead of adding this s***.

• Like 2

There's a reason for it. Follow the money. X-games has been losing money from the beginning and the only reason it's still around is ESPN and Disney

Idk about Disney funding the X-games, but yes, they have been on the decline for some time. It's sad to see it, but it's the inconvenient truth. It's even more disturbing that Video games bring in so much money and the watching "professionals" play games has such a following and it profitable.

Okay, I forgot about that. Does this mean he will do it again this year? I really don't see anyone having anything new up their sleeve.

If you want to see people trying completely ridiculous things on dirt bikes or anything else watch Nitro Circus instead. Plenty of Front flips (and variants) attempted and a number of them ridden away from... That said one of the Canadian riders paralyzed himself attempting a double front during the US tour this year.

I'm not a nascar fan, but there is a skill to professional driving. Hell, there is a skill to driving period, have you seen the freeways here in so cal?

Not a NASCAR fan either, nor am I a gaming fan, but by that argument gaming is a skill too...

Also I'll watch some other forms of racing, but never gaming.

But to back up the driving/racing of any form. You will get physically tired pushing a car to the limit like that for extended periods of time, can the same be said about gaming? Burnt out eyes from staring at a screen don't count.

Idk about Disney funding the X-games, but yes, they have been on the decline for some time. It's sad to see it, but it's the inconvenient truth. It's even more disturbing that Video games bring in so much money and the watching "professionals" play games has such a following and it profitable.

Disney is the parent company for ABC and ESPN

No doubt gaming is fun & extreme. But is it really a spectator sport worthy of a week of television?!

I don't think so, but people watch poker too...

To each their own really, I'll watch billiards if ESPN has it on which I'm sure others find boring.

Starcraft is Huge in Korea, plenty of people watch and plenty of people make tons of money. I don't care if people want to watch it, or if they want to televise it... well that's not really true I'd rather the network play something I want to watch, but I get them doing it if it makes them money. But it definitely does NOT belong in the X-games.

But I've been annoyed with the X-games since they dropped Barefoot and wakeboarding anyway. Also luge, climbing, mountain biking and a number of other crazy and entertaining things :whistle:

Nothing against Pastrana, I love watching the guy do pretty much anything, but about 10 years ago X-games became lets make events to get him on the TV as much as possible, which resulted in other things being dropped. Now there are about 5+ events for each skate, BMX, moto, and cars, at the cost of many other sports not being included, not to mention the Womens side of things has fallen significantly.

But to back up the driving/racing of any form. You will get physically tired pushing a car to the limit like that for extended periods of time, can the same be said about gaming? Burnt out eyes from staring at a screen don't count.

Sore thumbs?