Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling all Echelon and Boat Techs

Has anyone replaced or repaired the computron system in the Malibu Echelon? I'm getting a little tired of looking at the ancient red screen that just blinks and does whatever it wants....

I know that the boat hours are tracked through that system, and there's no real way to tell how many hours the boat has on it without it....

Replaced, yes. Actually mine was gone when I got the boat.

For hours you can take an hour meter and hooked it to a battery to run it up to the proper number before installing. The rest of the gauges are wire-for-wire and simple to replace. You will also need a depth finder. Mine's in my hour meter hole and my hour meter is now under the dash. At some point I will be redoing the entire dash area to get rid of the useless switches and knobs to the lower left of the steering wheel and reshaping the super duper round dash/gauge pod, but I haven't started yet with the 500 other projects going on.

@ebelizard: There was a thread either here or on the old MBO site that detailed a repair procedure on the Comptron, try searching for it. Most likely you will end up losing out or getting lucky and finding a replacement on ebay or craigslist, good luck. I looked for a used unit for a while but have given up on my search. I redid my dash and installed a PP system although my boat was built w/o the Computron, a neighbor had one and I felt there were some pretty nice features and can certainly understand the desire to have it operational.

Replaced, yes. Actually mine was gone when I got the boat.

For hours you can take an hour meter and hooked it to a battery to run it up to the proper number before installing. The rest of the gauges are wire-for-wire and simple to replace. You will also need a depth finder. Mine's in my hour meter hole and my hour meter is now under the dash. At some point I will be redoing the entire dash area to get rid of the useless switches and knobs to the lower left of the steering wheel and reshaping the super duper round dash/gauge pod, but I haven't started yet with the 500 other projects going on.

Great advice, thanks man.

@ebelizard: There was a thread either here or on the old MBO site that detailed a repair procedure on the Comptron, try searching for it. Most likely you will end up losing out or getting lucky and finding a replacement on ebay or craigslist, good luck. I looked for a used unit for a while but have given up on my search. I redid my dash and installed a PP system although my boat was built w/o the Computron, a neighbor had one and I felt there were some pretty nice features and can certainly understand the desire to have it operational.

I'll try searching for it. Do you have any links to see your dash since you rebuilt it?