Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 questions I hope u guys can help me with......

MIKEnNC

First bought a 22mxz right before season ended and even though stored indoors and covered still got mildew on a rear seat. Crazy and really has me aggravated. U guys got any suggestions for removing stubborn mildew spots without dis coloring vinyl..... It is a light grey color....

Second I had some speaker covers from beyond the wake for my jl cans on my nautique boat I sold and have been trying to determine which covers I would need for the new speakers on my 13 Mxz.. The speakers are 6x9 wet sounds horns and are in Titan cans. Thanks n advance for the help

303 products makes a vinyl cleaner that I like a lot. Has taken out some real stubborn stains and doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on any of the upholstery. Love their protectorant as well.

• Like 3

For the mildew, any descent upholstery cleaner & a soft brush. Scrub it good. Then let it dry in the sunshine. 2 days & it'll be gone.

On the speaker covers, since I picked up a pair of Exiles, I use their factory covers & the whole can comes down & gets locked up.

You still got mildew cause it was somehow damp in the boat...next time put out some Dry-Z-Air or even better than that, put a small heater in the boat and open all the cushions up allowing air flow. This will keep the boat warm and dry. It doesn't have to be hot, just 40-50 degrees and you'll be fine then.

• Like 2

Recently went on a trip with the boat covered driving more than 14 hours interstate & endured 100+ deg F during the day.

Cover is black.

When we arrived at the destination uncovered the boat & pretty much every part of the upholstery which came in contact with the cover & even a few inches away from the cover turned almost purple from mould from within the cushion.

Left the cover off for a few hours in the sun, & the discolouration bleached away.

I store the boat in the garage, out of the sun & only cover it once the carpet dries out to keep the dust off.

Doubt any cleaner will remove the mould.

I have heard of the dry-z-air type product being used when boats are sealed when shipped from the US to AU to prevent this from happening or reduce the risk.

Trying to get the crew (kids) to drain most of the water B4 jumping back in the boat is a bit of a challenge.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Recently went on a trip with the boat covered driving more than 14 hours interstate & endured 100+ deg F during the day.

Cover is black.

When we arrived at the destination uncovered the boat & pretty much every part of the upholstery which came in contact with the cover & even a few inches away from the cover turned almost purple from mould from within the cushion.

Left the cover off for a few hours in the sun, & the discolouration bleached away.

I store the boat in the garage, out of the sun & only cover it once the carpet dries out to keep the dust off.

Doubt any cleaner will remove the mould.

I have heard of the dry-z-air type product being used when boats are sealed when shipped from the US to AU to prevent this from happening or reduce the risk.

Trying to get the crew (kids) to drain most of the water B4 jumping back in the boat is a bit of a challenge.

Just my $0.02 worth.

What you're describing isn't mould it's the heat from the black cover causing the glue in the upholstery to have a reaction turning the vinyl a weird color.

What you're describing isn't mould it's the heat from the black cover causing the glue in the upholstery to have a reaction turning the vinyl a weird color.

I still don't get this. I have a black cover & never have the problem. My buddy has a 2011 & has gone thru 3 covers. First one was black, sunbrella, no problems with the upholstery, but the logo was silkscreened in an off position. Second cover was some weird material like Sharkskin or something. His upholstery discolored. He got his 3rd cover over the winter, logo is right, made of Sunbrella. Time will tell if the problem with the upholstery shows up or not.

Although I never had problems with it, apparently the reason you can't get a black cover anymore is as stated above. I believe they are all a much lighter grey for 2014.

I wouldn't use a magic eraser on the upholstery. They are full of bleach and will take the colour right out of the vinyl.

Magic eraser for tough stains that typical cleaners won't remove. I just sold my I/O as discussed in previous threads and I go every single little mark of the vinyl of a six year old boat. The people that checked it out Saturday were so impressed with the interior, it sold the boat. My dealer told me this trick and he checked with Malibu prior to see if the vinyl could handle this and they said it could as long as one spot is not rubbed too much or too hard

Also, you must must getting humidity in the boat, next time get a large jar, like a jumbo pickle jar and fill it will plain white rice. Poke holes in the top, maybe 20 and set it in the boat. It will soak the moisture out of the air, may have to change it monthly depending on humidity.

Learned this trick as this is what is done to get water out of cell phones.

Mike - Are you on Gaston? Just soon my Chaparral and I am buying a buddy's 2007 LSV

Thanks

Jdubb

Edited by Jdubb16

I still don't get this. I have a black cover & never have the problem. My buddy has a 2011 & has gone thru 3 covers. First one was black, sunbrella, no problems with the upholstery, but the logo was silkscreened in an off position. Second cover was some weird material like Sharkskin or something. His upholstery discolored. He got his 3rd cover over the winter, logo is right, made of Sunbrella. Time will tell if the problem with the upholstery shows up or not.

It didn't happen to me on my '07 Sunscape that was all black with a black cover either. But after those years it started to happen.

It didn't happen to me on my '07 Sunscape that was all black with a black cover either. But after those years it started to happen.

It happened on my brothers 03 too.

Be careful with Magic Erasers. They are basically sand paper. I've seen the stitching & the finish on the vinyl get pretty chewed up by them.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Although I never had problems with it, apparently the reason you can't get a black cover anymore is as stated above. I believe they are all a much lighter grey for 2014.

I wouldn't use a magic eraser on the upholstery. They are full of bleach and will take the colour right out of the vinyl.

I've heard the same but that it does more damage to the stitching. I am starting to see seems pull apart on my boat and my guess is the previous owner used something with bleach.

ahopkins22LSV

It happened on my brothers 03 too.

Be careful with Magic Erasers. They are basically sand paper. I've seen the stitching & the finish on the vinyl get pretty chewed up by them.

This! I would avoid if at all possible. There are other solutions to get tough stains out like some of the cleaners mentioned above.

thanks for the input guys, funny thing is my cover is light gray and boat was kept inside all winter in a heated warehouse, thermostat set to 62 so never got below that, im dumbfounded how I have mildew spots on my rear engine cover lid, it is crazy to get it that quick on a 2013 boat. I have been hesitant to try many things because of the bleach or similar products in them. my interior is all grays and blacks and don't want to get white spots on it either. I ordered some starbrite stuff last night to try and im hoping that will get it, supposed to be fine for colored vinyl. ill let u guys know if it works, and for jdubb, I am in Fayetteville and mostly trailer to Jordan.

Let the sun do the work:

Noon

photo1_zpsade871d4.jpg

3:00

photo2_zps4f951e89.jpg

The images from Ndawg12 above are exactly the scenario I experienced.

Could be from the heat>adhesive, or could be some bacteria type mold reaction with the heat in the dark under cover in the sun.

I know how heavy my removable cushions /seats are after a day of kids jumping in wet are.

Always remove them & stand them on end for at least a week to help drain, but i suspect they will still be damp inside.

Even thought last night, what would happen if the foam had a plastic membrane over the top just under the vinyl.

Would this prevent most of the water from working through the stitching?

Either way, with the wealth of experience & member professions on the crew, to my recollection, it remains a mystery.

Even thought last night, what would happen if the foam had a plastic membrane over the top just under the vinyl.

I haven't seen under the vinyl on a Malibu, but my 1987 Glastron had plastic sheeting under it. It seems to help a lot. The seats on the Glastron never got soaked, just the surface was wet.