Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Temp gauge trouble

******just realized I should have posted this in the tech/troubleshooting section. Sorry...maybe the mods can move it for me********

My water temp gauge started reading 135 degrees late last season. I took it out for the first time this past weekend and lo and behold it did not magically repair itself over the winter! Any of you folks have this issue with your water temp readout?

Bakes site says that the temp sensor is part of the paddlewheel for the speedo on my model year boat (2006 V-ride).

Just curious...I like knowing the water temp before I jump in lol....sissy from the south. The speedo is working perfectly.

Late last year I got crooked while loading the boat and trashed my prop on the prop guard cage....was crazy on the ramp

that day and I got aggravated and impatient...anyhoo, thought maybe I damaged the sensor somehow after reading that it's part of the paddlewheel assembly. Seems like it would have screwed up the speedo if so.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim

Edited by DUKENO1

******just realized I should have posted this in the tech/troubleshooting section. Sorry...maybe the mods can move it for me********

My water temp gauge started reading 135 degrees late last season. I took it out for the first time this past weekend and lo and behold it did not magically repair itself over the winter! Any of you folks have this issue with your water temp readout?

Bakes site says that the temp sensor is part of the paddlewheel for the speedo on my model year boat (2006 V-ride).

Just curious...I like knowing the water temp before I jump in lol....sissy from the south. The speedo is working perfectly.

Late last year I got crooked while loading the boat and trashed my prop on the prop guard cage....was crazy on the ramp

that day and I got aggravated and impatient...anyhoo, thought maybe I damaged the sensor somehow after reading that it's part of the paddlewheel assembly. Seems like it would have screwed up the speedo if so.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim

So you damaged the prop on the trailer....that pretty difficult to do....I did not know it was possible. The trailer must have been deep and you must have been coming in pretty sideways

So you damaged the prop on the trailer....that pretty difficult to do....I did not know it was possible. The trailer must have been deep and you must have been coming in pretty sideways

Yeah it's possible lol but it took he perfect storm of stupidity and impatience for me. I was trying to load at a ramp that had gone completely bonkers and was with a crew that I don't normally ride with, in-laws etc and a child with an upset stomach...so in a nutshell I was trying to do everything myself while dealing with a$$-hats. (not my crew,lol)

I managed to get the trailer in and was in the process of getting the boat (that the crew was holding at the dock for me out of the way of others as much as possible). Some idiot whips in between me and my trailer as I am heading to load, blocking me from loading. It was hot and we were all tired and I was pissed at this point so I tried to put on my trailer at an angle by skirting around his boat. I was of course crooked but not that bad so I tried to power up to straighten. I heard a strange noise but didn't think anything about it at the time. We got out of there but on the way home I kept thinking what was that weird noise I heard? Then it dawned on me...idiot, I bet it was the prop hitting the trailer. I pulled over to check and bingo! It is not as hard as you think. I believe in my haste to get out of there, I backed the trailer in too deep and in combination with being off centered, that was all it took. I have done it a hundred times probably but it only took one incident of impatience. Lesson learned. Good news is now I have a spare prop!

While its possible that you damaged the temp sensor without damaging the paddlewheel, I agree with you that it seems unlikely. Did you check all connections to make sure you don't have a loose wire somewhere? If all looks good, you might just have a bad temp sensor that just coincidently failed after your trailer incident.

While its possible that you damaged the temp sensor without damaging the paddlewheel, I agree with you that it seems unlikely. Did you check all connections to make sure you don't have a loose wire somewhere? If all looks good, you might just have a bad temp sensor that just coincidently failed after your trailer incident.

Hey Blast...no didn't have time to check it after last trip out but I will this weekend. Bakes has some voltage readings on a pdf file on their site that I am going to verify.

My boat does the same thing. Detroit lake was 145 degrees last year. From what I understand those paddle wheels need to be swapped out every few years. I'm going to do mine this year just so I can verify it's cold before I get in.

My boat does the same thing. Detroit lake was 145 degrees last year. From what I understand those paddle wheels need to be swapped out every few years. I'm going to do mine this year just so I can verify it's cold before I get in.

but your speedo works fine?

I have the same issue. When I bought my used 2006 VLX a year ago (from an out of town dealer) I was told about the problem and was asked to have it fixed before delivery. They said they replaced the paddlewheel. In my case the speedo works but the water temp constantly reads 150. I have it in a different dealer for "un-winterization" and asked them to look at it. I'll let you know what they find.

I have the same issue. When I bought my used 2006 VLX a year ago (from an out of town dealer) I was told about the problem and was asked to have it fixed before delivery. They said they replaced the paddlewheel. In my case the speedo works but the water temp constantly reads 150. I have it in a different dealer for "un-winterization" and asked them to look at it. I'll let you know what they find.

That would be awesome, thanks Tom

• 6 years later...

My friend has a 2006 Response LXI and lake temp always reads 150 degrees.  Have checked connections, everything seems OK.  Is 150 the highest the lake temp will go?  Paddlewheel for speed seems to work good.