Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with no cover - seat cushion question

oldjeep

When I was towing my vtx to the lake on Saturday I was dismayed to see that the rear seat cushion flipped up and tried to leave the boat. I did not have the pass through wind screen installed. When I put it in then the seat seemed to stay put. Is this normal? Though it was a little odd that there was no sort of retaining system for the seats since my Bayliner had straps and snaps for anything that could be removed.

Edited by oldjeep

Look on the bottom of that seat cushion and you will see two tabs that keep the seat from sliding forward. You can move those tabs forward a bit to creat a more "snug" fit so the seat will not lift so easily. Did that to my last boat and never had another issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to install some of those twist type fasteners and a strap on the seat bottoms. If I can figure out what those things are called. The have an oval shape, go through an oval bushing in the strap and then turn 90 degrees.

Something like this:

http://www.jmsonline.net/handiman-twist-stud-5-han-560191.htm?gclid=CLnS-q_dg74CFaw-MgodyyEAHg

Edited by oldjeep

I'm tempted to install some of those twist type fasteners and a strap on the seat bottoms. If I can figure out what those things are called. The have an oval shape, go through an oval bushing in the strap and then turn 90 degrees.

Something like this:

http://www.jmsonline.net/handiman-twist-stud-5-han-560191.htm?gclid=CLnS-q_dg74CFaw-MgodyyEAHg

Those are exactly what I had installed with a 6" strip of 1 1/2 inch webbing on a previous boat that had the same issue. Worked nicely and was only visible when the cushion was out.

I trailer mine everywhere and did see the cushion over the vdrive lifting up once. Since then I always tow with my windblock in. No issues at all when i do that. I think you will be fine if you have the wind block up and windshield closed.

I have heard that the center rear cushion on the 247 likes to come up. But when I go greater than 60 MPH, I usually am sure to have a 12 pack on that cushion. Before learning this from the crew, mine never came out, so I think some are more prone than others.

I swear I was told to keep the screen out when towing. Haven't had any problem with the seat flipping out.

You definitely want to keep the windscreen in while towing without a cover.

You definitely want to keep the windscreen in while towing without a cover.

Well I got lucky then cause I towed sans cover and sans windscreen to Kelowna and back up and down the Coq and didn't lose any cushions! Won't tempt fate again though!

• Like 1

Well I got lucky then cause I towed sans cover and sans windscreen to Kelowna and back up and down the Coq and didn't lose any cushions! Won't tempt fate again though!

Towed mine from Nevada to Calgary no issue no windscreen, no whenever I get on the highway it will start lifting as soon as I go faster than 80km. Thinking of velcro to hold it down (I'm only 5 minutes to the boat launch).

I towed an old boat for years and never had a problem. Then one day an eighteen wheeler blew by us. It changed the air flow enough to suck the font bench seat out! Never know.

• Like 1

Pretty common problem. Lots of people asking about it here & on other forums with other boats. I usually tow with the cover on if I'm going very far or very fast.

My old SeaRay had little snap on safety straps on the rear seats to keep them from taking off.

Pretty common problem. Lots of people asking about it here & on other forums with other boats. I usually tow with the cover on if I'm going very far or very fast.

My old SeaRay had little snap on safety straps on the rear seats to keep them from taking off.

My old Bayliner had the same, seems odd that the Malibu has nothing but gravity and hope holding the seat on ;)

I ordered up a few stainless twist locks and I'm going to put some retainers on the seats. I figure that the strap can just be held under the existing blocks so no holes in the seat bottoms would be required. Once I get the stuff I'll figure it out for sure but I don't see any issue with having the twist lock mounted high on the outside of the seat frame.

http://www.sailrite.com/Twist-Lock-Fastener-Cloth-to-Surface-Stainless-Steel-With-Screws?whence=&atc=T#.U17KPGYo6Ul

Ocean

If i tow any distance like that I've got my baby all covered up and protected with her top on.

:Tease3:

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 1

My old Bayliner had the same, seems odd that the Malibu has nothing but gravity and hope holding the seat on ;)

I ordered up a few stainless twist locks and I'm going to put some retainers on the seats. I figure that the strap can just be held under the existing blocks so no holes in the seat bottoms would be required. Once I get the stuff I'll figure it out for sure but I don't see any issue with having the twist lock mounted high on the outside of the seat frame.

http://www.sailrite.com/Twist-Lock-Fastener-Cloth-to-Surface-Stainless-Steel-With-Screws?whence=&atc=T#.U17KPGYo6Ul

So what about all the other things in the boat that could fly off? ie; cooler lids, camp chairs, towels, etc.

I have a buddy who had a SkySki on top of a tube. I guess he figured the wind wouldn't go around the windshield & pick up the 35 lb SkySki too. At some point the tube took flight & took the SkySki with it. :Doh:

It's easier for me to load the boat with all the gear, and cover it. Then I don't lose cushions or anything else. And if we stop some place to eat or whatever, it's all out of sight.

• Like 2

Whenever I tow without the cover on, I always use the windscreen and close the pass-thru window. Seems safer to me. I still worry about loosing bow cushions, but have never had a problem.

Wait wait wait. Who here doesnt CLOSE their passthru window when they drive????

So what about all the other things in the boat that could fly off? ie; cooler lids, camp chairs, towels, etc.

I have a buddy who had a SkySki on top of a tube. I guess he figured the wind wouldn't go around the windshield & pick up the 35 lb SkySki too. At some point the tube took flight & took the SkySki with it. :Doh:

It's easier for me to load the boat with all the gear, and cover it. Then I don't lose cushions or anything else. And if we stop some place to eat or whatever, it's all out of sight.

I have a truck. I don't pile crap in the boat

I had the same issue on my 2011 when I left the dealer after picking up boat, no windscreen and center cushion was floating in air when i looked in rear view mirror. I got lucky and did not loose it, I now install velcro on seat to add a little extra help for keeping it down and always tow with my windscreen. I wish Malibu would just hinge that seat, would solve this issue.