Asmodeus2112

Starter - Aftermarket, really marine?

Asmodeus2112

There are several starters on Amazon and elsewhere that come up when I search for the Mercruiser part number (I have a Black Scorpion 5.7L circa 2001). Do you think these are really marine?

http://www.amazon.com/6792-3660566-3-10465603-10465042-50-863007A1/dp/B0096PYL64/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398696673&sr=1-2&keywords=50-863007A1

http://www.amazon.com/Mercruiser-4-3L-Marine-Starter-1998-Up/dp/B002TISG16/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398696673&sr=1-3&keywords=50-863007A1

Edited by Asmodeus2112

MalibuTime

Sketchy. If the description does not specifically say marine rated/ marinized I would skip it.

dezul

I think they are. Order one and see. Once you get it, look up the part number online to verify. Amazon has a great return policy.

Edited by dezul

oldjeep

I'd trust the second one. Bought tons of stuff from DB Electrical in the past, they are a quality rebuilder.

mangoneto

Go to O'reillys and cross reference the one you have.

oldjeep

Just realize that looking up a part number that is stamped on a starter or alternator tells you nothing. The only difference between a marine starter or alternator is the screens that they put in on the marine versions. On an alternator you can easily see them, starter not so much.

GlassMaster

Marine version starters must have a spark arrestor, to make them "intrinsically safe", due to being located in a closed environment with possible gas fumes. And the cost for that simple feature is usually significantly higher than regular automotive parts.

I have only needed a new starter once, knock on wood, for an older 1989 model engine. At that time I purchased the OE automotive starter, and besides needing to reuse the gasket spark arrest plate from the original that had failed, it was a perfect fit and identical in every other way. This worked perfectly for me, but I would not recommend using doing this unless you are 100% sure about what you are doing. Accidentally blowing the engine lid off your boat from an open spark may increase your need for an on-board porta-potty, not to mention get someone seriously hurt.

Bill_AirJunky

Great price on those. I think I paid about $100 to have mine rebuilt by a local shop some time ago.

SmoothWaterMan

J1711 must be stamped on the starter, alternator, or other electrical part as part of the standard.

http://standards.sae.org/j1171_200406/

If a boat comes in with a non-marine starter or alternator, we can not touch any part of the boat unless we replace said parts with a marine specific part.

Peter.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Asmodeus2112

J1711 must be stamped on the starter, alternator, or other electrical part as part of the standard.

http://standards.sae.org/j1171_200406/

If a boat comes in with a non-marine starter or alternator, we can not touch any part of the boat unless we replace said parts with a marine specific part.

Peter.

That's great information, thank you.

built2rev

That is what i used on my boat and has worked great. I also installed one on my buddies but have has been just fine. I mean for that price get two and have a extra..

Asmodeus2112

I placed an order with DB Electrical. Fingers crossed.

built2rev

i think you will be just fine..

Asmodeus2112

Starter arrived today. They shipped quick and starter looks great! I'll put it in the boat tonight.

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

oldjeep

Nice. That is one thing I like about DB Electrical, only place I've ever gotten test sheets with rebuilt starters/alternators/winch motors.

Edited by oldjeep

Asmodeus2112

Works well, hope it lasts.

Asmodeus2112

Nice. That is one thing I like about DB Electrical, only place I've ever gotten test sheets with rebuilt starters/alternators/winch motors.

Actually, this is a new starter.

Simo

I have never had a problem with anything I got from dbelectric. Prices are great, they ship super fast and they have quality stuff

WetSider

This is really helpful information - just in case. Thanks~