Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally got around to fixing my windshield frame

dtm8119

With day 1 of a forecasted 5 day rain event taking place, felt like a good time to finally fix my windshield. A known issue on 2002 and older Taylor windshields, the cover tends to wear the paint off the cap that goes around the perimeter. Thought about having it powder coated but decided to strip the remaining paint with steel wool & acetone after seeing the results a others (LS-One) had doing this.

The project went pretty well except for a small crisis situation when some of the old paint mixed with acetone got on the vinyl ;) Got that cleaned up quickly!

Also got the vinyl cleaned and conditioned. Tomorrow's goal - get the carpet vacuumed and shampooed :)

Sorry for the crappy garage/low light pics!

IMG_20140427_091211_zps5fafd9c7.jpg

IMG_20140427_124917_zpseed21ff4.jpg

IMG_20140427_124938_zpsd5bdd916.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, very cool. I'm about to do this to my 2001, nice to see your pics before I go for it as well. I figure I can live with it for a while, and if I don't like it I can easily just get it powder coated. I know you just did it, but do you think you will like it for the long run?

looks great, that might just make the winter todo list, i like the way it makes the boat look.

anyone ever strip the paint off an old swoop tower?

Hey, very cool. I'm about to do this to my 2001, nice to see your pics before I go for it as well. I figure I can live with it for a while, and if I don't like it I can easily just get it powder coated. I know you just did it, but do you think you will like it for the long run?

I think I will really like it! Still need to get some polish on there to make it shine up a bit more.

I was thinking the same thing...if I don't like how this turns out I can always pull the windshield off and get it powder coated.

• Like 1

Looks great! More info on how to and such? Any idea if this would work on my 96 Sunsetter?

My process was:

- Tape off areas on the windshield that I did not want to strip paint off of

- Cover up vinyl around the area to protect from drips (didn't do the best job of this apparently as noted above!)

- Dab the area with acetone, and also get some on your fine steel wool

- Elbow grease...lots of it! Rub the paint off until you are happy with the results

And that's pretty much it! I'm not sure if your windshield is of the same construction as mine. Maybe you could post a close up picture of it and others could chime in as well?

• Like 1

Looks good. I just got my frame powder coated because it was chipping in several areas. What a pain to put it back together, but it does look really good now.

Looks great.

I did this a couple years ago but took the molding off and polished on a buffer, it holds up well. I usually hit it with some mothers polish a couple times a year by hand. Its far better then the chips even when it does get dull. Our cover is fair at best and scuffs the molding on long tows, thats when it looks the worst, but a little polish and it looks great again.

• 2 months later...

To follow up, I did this and am happy with it. Makes the boat look a lot better, and was not hard. Now, if eveyone with a boat in these vintages does this then it will become the standard, right? Bad pic, but you can get an idea of the results.

Photo%20Jul%2009%2C%203%2044%2052%20PM.j