Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ouch......prop/shaft? Which one?

Hit a submerged log today as we were headed in from our last run. Oh how I love early season debris in the water. Luckily no fin or fiberglass damage. Now, help me narrow things down even more. I have pretty heavy vibration when the boat is in forward. When in reverse no vibration. Shaft isn't visibly bent. Two of the blades on the prop are bent a little, but nothing crazy. Where should I start? Think I will pull the prop and use this as an excuse to upgrade :). But how do I make sure the shaft isn't damaged? If I fork out the $$$ for a new prop, the CFO will be pissed if the problem isn't fixed. Help me out Crew.

If the blades are bent at all then your prop needs to be reconditioned and/or replaced. You'll want a spare anyway, right? New prop: justified

I think most people just replace the prop and see if that solves it. If the damage to the prop was just a couple of minor bends, your shaft is probably OK. I am not sure I can say they did it on purpose, but one of the reasons to move away from stainless props is because the alloy in the modern propellers will fold in a minor collision and save you heartache in the rest of your drivetrain. pics?

To be honest, I don't know if you would be able to see the bends on the prop in pics and I have already put the boat on the lift and headed home for the weekend. I will start with the prop then go from there. Anyone have recommendations on what kind of prop? We mostly wakeboard(60%), surf(20%), and I still Slalom some(20%). Have stock ballast(500MS) 500 rear. 2006 VRide. What say ye?

NC, in post #3 at this link is some info I've posted a couple of times. This simple technique can readily indicate if the shaft is bent. Use up where the shaft exits the hull and down at the centre drilling in the aft end of the shaft. If there is enough run out to cause vibration, it should be readily detectable using this method. All you are doing is setting a fixed reference point very close to the shaft or prop. When you rotate them, you are looking for any change in the gap between the pointer and the shaft / prop or, when looking at the centre hole in the end of the shaft, any indication that the centre hole is 'wobbling' with respect to the pointer.

If you can afford a boat, you can afford this test equipment. :-)

I hope I've made it understandable...!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48805-stuck-in-mud/

DId it happen on gaston? And I got a prop fixed on my old nautique by a guy n Wilmington. Can get u number if u need it

Edited by MIKEnNC

Yeah Mike,

It was at Gaston. Log was probably 5" in diameter and was floating standing straight up vertically with just the tip sticking above water.

If you don't mind let me know who the prop guy is in case I go that route.

Edited by NCVride

Same thing happened to me. Probable that you may not see any physical damage, even if the vibration is very bad (we couldn't). Put it this way, the shaft is unlikely to be damaged if the prop isn't so get that fixed first ($100-$150). If there is still vibration then look at the drive shaft - but it is a big (read expensive) job getting it out to even check it... :)

If the blades are only slightly bent to the point where it would be hard to see in a pic then I'd bet you're fine. There is a dimple on the end of the shaft right in the middle. Rig up a stand and point a laser pointer at it and have someone slowly spin the prop and look for runout.

Contact Thomas @ ProMarine and see if he can help you out with the troubleshooting. He may be able to help you with a loaner prop (especially if you have them send your prop out for repair) or something to figure out whether or not you need a new shaft.

Anyone know the prop nut size? Headed back up in the morning to pull it off and wanted to be prepared since I will be getting in 60 degree water!!!!! It's ok to get in it while riding, just don't want to spend too much time in and out getting the right size!!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind.....man that search function is handy.....everything I found says 3/4"

Edited by NCVride

You'd probably be fine with a large adjustable wrench.

x2 - that is what comes in the Acme kit anyways.

If you are doing it in the water then make sure you catch the key when the prop comes off.

Edited by oldjeep

While having a boat lift is nice, sometimes maintenance can be fun. Going to put a knee board under it when I pull the prop, but I have a spare key just in case. Thanks for the heads up guys appreciate all the help.

Edited by NCVride

Ncvride,

You may not need the advice and if not I apologise but ensure you follow the instructions re: marking the new or re machined prop without the key. Esp if u end up needing the new key as it could fit very differently.

Slide the prop on without the key. Magic marker the backside on the shaft. Install key and prop. Ensure prop will match line you marked. Otherwise you'll need to adjust and/or shave the key.

Guy fixed mine in Wilmington and he does tons of them, doesn't just straighten it but also balances it so no vibrations. Martan@ coastal prop in Wilmington 910-471-8115

Holden,

Any advice is welcome. I appreciate the input. Pulled the prop. The water was quite refreshing considering the air temp was a balmy 53 at the lake. BRRRRRRRR. good thing it only took about 5 minutes and no prop puller necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess today will be D-Day on the boat. I had the guy at Blue Ridge Propellers fix my prop. Prop looked good and was balanced as well. He was highly recommended by a few shops around town.

Put it on yesterday and still had some vibration.

Managed to get a virgin prop to try out. Going to put it on this afternoon and test again.

If the vibration is still there, then that means I have to take it off the lift and to Jimmy @ Pro-Marine. If that's the case, I am planning on using my 0 deductible insurance and filing a claim.

Hopefully I won't have to, but I figure if I have to get the shaft fixed then insurance can pay for that and a new 1235.

Guess today will be D-Day on the boat. I had the guy at Blue Ridge Propellers fix my prop. Prop looked good and was balanced as well. He was highly recommended by a few shops around town.

Put it on yesterday and still had some vibration.

Managed to get a virgin prop to try out. Going to put it on this afternoon and test again.

If the vibration is still there, then that means I have to take it off the lift and to Jimmy @ Pro-Marine. If that's the case, I am planning on using my 0 deductible insurance and filing a claim.

Hopefully I won't have to, but I figure if I have to get the shaft fixed then insurance can pay for that and a new 1235.

you better hurry, it just started dumping rain here in Charlotte.