Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First trip - hopefully got all the dumb stuff out of the way

oldjeep

Buuuurrrrrr........but just the same, any time in our BU's is a good time. By the way very nice boat,

and I love the Zulag.....looking forward to getting mine.

We got out two weeks ago for our first, weather was sunny but cool air and cooooooold water.

Came right off with no dramatics. I'm sure bashing it repeatedly against a rock helped loosen it up. I thought it was a 537, but it was a 1939. The spare 537 is installed on the boat and I'll bring this one in for some love. Luckily PropMD is only a few miles away.

WP_20140426_010.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

We all have our moments of stupidity... just some more than others.

I've never understood why people leave their bumpers/fenders out while they are not docked or tied up. It just looks odd to me and it's not like you need them while you are moving.

I've never understood why people leave their bumpers/fenders out while they are not docked or tied up. It just looks odd to me and it's not like you need them while you are moving.

I don't drive around with them on, I just had it tied to the dock while I got the truck. Normally in my old boat I'd just pull onto the trailer and then remove them once the boat is out. Just need to remember that they don't fit through the goal posts ;)

• Like 1

I was not going to admit it in public but I'll just get it out of the way right now. I was out there "learning" today too. The funniest thing about it is I told my wife about the "Dumbest things seen on the water" thread and my goal was to never do anything that would get me in that thread. Well I have not even technically taken delivery of my boat and am already well qualified to be in that thread.

Dealer took us out today in excelsior and there was a couple of minor issues that they are going to take care of before we take the boat home. When the guy from the dealer was driving the boat back onto the trailer (I was standing on trailer tongue area) my truck began to roll backwards! I left my F'ing truck in drive :blush: . Luckily it was Drive and not reverse so it was not moving too quick and I hopped in and stopped it.

I am going to blame it on the cold and excitement of actually getting to drive my new to me boat.

:Doh:

I don't drive around with them on, I just had it tied to the dock while I got the truck. Normally in my old boat I'd just pull onto the trailer and then remove them once the boat is out. Just need to remember that they don't fit through the goal posts ;)

Don't feel bad....I actually can't believe I'm telling this story.

One early morning last summer, we got to the river, smooth as a babies bottom. .lol...

I was so excited I figured what the heck, I'll rig the boom while the boats on the trailer.....

YA Right....like that worked trying to back my pearl off the trailer with goalposts ....

A brain dead moment!!! Lol...

• Like 3

I was not going to admit it in public but I'll just get it out of the way right now. I was out there "learning" today too. The funniest thing about it is I told my wife about the "Dumbest things seen on the water" thread and my goal was to never do anything that would get me in that thread. Well I have not even technically taken delivery of my boat and am already well qualified to be in that thread.

Dealer took us out today in excelsior and there was a couple of minor issues that they are going to take care of before we take the boat home. When the guy from the dealer was driving the boat back onto the trailer (I was standing on trailer tongue area) my truck began to roll backwards! I left my F'ing truck in drive :blush: . Luckily it was Drive and not reverse so it was not moving too quick and I hopped in and stopped it.

I am going to blame it on the cold and excitement of actually getting to drive my new to me boat.

One of the reasons I always put my truck into park, ebrake on , turn off the ignition and put the keys on the console

while I'm on the ramp. It's so easy to forget, Rev or drive. With all the excitement.

One of the reasons I always put my truck into park, ebrake on , turn off the ignition and put the keys on the console

while I'm on the ramp. It's so easy to forget, Rev or drive. With all the excitement.

yep, will definitely be doing that from here on out. I had a routine down for loading and unloading our jet ski and was quick and never had any issues. New truck, new boat and no routine down I guess I should not be surprised that I screwed something up. I guess I can deal with being embarrassed, just glad nothing was damaged.

• Like 1

I leave mine in place until I'm well clear of the dock or the marina...never in a rush just in case you happen to need to turn around and head back. No reason to remove them until you're clear of the no wake zone anyway.

Edited by formulaben

I remove mine in place until I'm well clear of the dock or the marina...never in a rush just in case you happen to need to turn around and head back. No reason to remove them until you're clear of the no wake zone anyway.

I get what you are saying. What I'm talking about is the people I see out towing people or just cruising around well above a no wake speed with the fenders still hanging over the side... maybe it is just the lake I'm on...

It wouldn't be fun if we didn't have learning events like that. It can always be worse. At least you had it in the water and running; my last excursion I couldn't even leave the trailer at the ramp because the boat wouldn't turn over.

Talk about 6 highly disappointed friends and a day wasted.

Nice bu!

As long as the truck didn't wind up in the lake, it is still a good day ;)

• Like 2

when you are on the water the first trip, last trip, anything odd or out of the ordinary it's time to slow it down and double check everything.

just not much margin for error out there.

if it doesn't taste right then slow it down and double check everything.

Sweet looking boat you have there. sorry about your prop, but all in all that's not too bad of a first outing. On the first outing in his restored 57' yacht with a hired captain my brother ran aground... both props and shafts needed extensive work.

Today is going to be our first outing of the year, it's going to be 96 degrees...

Boat looks sharp! Did you end up taking the Wakesetter graphics off???

I went through a prop last year as well, and mine was not repairable. Just glad nobody got hurt and the boat still floats!

Boat looks sharp! Did you end up taking the Wakesetter graphics off???

I went through a prop last year as well, and mine was not repairable. Just glad nobody got hurt and the boat still floats!

Haven't decided if I'm going to remove them or not. Guess I'll find out Monday if the prop is repairable.