Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck in mud.

So yesterday I was out at the lake and ran aground. After being stuck for four hours in mud I was pulled to Deepwater. The boat seemed to run fine I might've felt weird vibration but that could be paranoia. We got the boat on the trailer no damage to the find or to the prop. What else should I be looking for to make sure no other damage was done? The boat is a 2006 Malibu ride xti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, sounds like you got lucky.... no one hurt, minimal damage & you got it out on your own. This happened on Long Lake in Spokane about 7 or 8 yrs ago with an MC X2. The owner ended up having it stuck out there for like 2 months & had to have it extricated by helicopter. It was quite the sight.

So I'd be willing to bet the prop has some damage. Their made of a brass alloy call nibral & it doesn't take much to bend them. I've had the blades get folded over by knicking the sandy hump at the ramp from people power loading.... folded all 4 blades over like an inch or so.

Get in touch with your dealer & find out if there is a prop shop in your town & take it in for inspection. Or get another prop from your dealer, install it on your boat & see if the problem goes away.... my guess is it will

Hi, av.

As Bill noted, the props are surprisingly easy to deform. It is very easy to check yourself. Some time ago I posted a couple of pics of how I check for prop or shaft run out using a highly sophisticated instrument that is readily available to anyone.

Check post #9 here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45592-hit-submerged-tree-shurb-prop-or-shaft/

Regards, Stephen.

• Like 2

Yes the tracking fans are perfectly straight and still attached. I did full inspection under the boat nothing seems to be damaged. Thanks for Info on prop

Hi, av.

As Bill noted, the props are surprisingly easy to deform. It is very easy to check yourself. Some time ago I posted a couple of pics of how I check for prop or shaft run out using a highly sophisticated instrument that is readily available to anyone.

Check post #9 here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45592-hit-submerged-tree-shurb-prop-or-shaft/

Regards, Stephen.

Wow.....what a high tech device....I bet this thing cost you an arm and a leg. Not sure if

I would venture into such an expensive tool......if I find a need for one I WILL PM you

and get you to ship it over here to Canada.......lol...:tease2:

Ha! Such a simple idea! Bet it works GREAT!

Yep, it works really well, Bill and all boaties should be able to afford one!

Have used the concept many times - sometimes with a bit of wire per the photographs and once or twice with a stick. Anything will do. One is only looking for a quick visual check from the prop or shaft against a fixed reference to see if all the blades are the same or the shaft wobbles. It can also be directed at the leading edges of the blades or, as I did last season with mine, at the centre hole in the end of the prop shaft to determine that the shaft had minor runout and required replacement as well as the prop.

If you can't readily detect any visual difference between any of the blades as you rotate the prop or any run out in the shaft, they are most likely not causing vibration.

• Like 2

Wow, sounds like you got lucky.... no one hurt, minimal damage & you got it out on your own. This happened on Long Lake in Spokane about 7 or 8 yrs ago with an MC X2. The owner ended up having it stuck out there for like 2 months & had to have it extricated by helicopter. It was quite the sight.

Another chopper to save the day...

Hi, av.

Check post #9 here:

Regards, Stephen.

Post number 9 in that thread is where the information is located. NIce advice GreenMan!

So yesterday I was out at the lake and ran aground. After being stuck for four hours in mud I was pulled to Deepwater. The boat seemed to run fine I might've felt weird vibration but that could be paranoia. We got the boat on the trailer no damage to the find or to the prop. What else should I be looking for to make sure no other damage was done? The boat is a 2006 Malibu ride xti

Do you have a spare prop? If so, put that on and send in the current prop to be checked over. $75 well spent. If you don't have a spare prop, now is the time to buy one and swap it out. Either way, I would not run that prop until it's been gone over. The next thing to go will be strut bushings if it's out of balance and it's a lot easier to fix a prop now than to fix strut bushings AND the prop in a couple of months.

Wow that is really stuck. Would hate to have had that bill.

I assume your talking about the X1 in the video. When he ran it up there, the water was like 18" over the muddy bottom. He said it came to a stop really slowly as he drove deeper & deeper into it. Then the power company kept lowering the water level till the boat was high & dry like you see in the video. At about 2:40 in the video you can see the trough the prop dug as he drove deeper & deeper into the muck & it came to a stop. Looks like over 100' long.

Seems like I recall it cost like $2k.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I assume your talking about the X1 in the video. When he ran it up there, the water was like 18" over the muddy bottom. He said it came to a stop really slowly as he drove deeper & deeper into it. Then the power company kept lowering the water level till the boat was high & dry like you see in the video. At about 2:40 in the video you can see the trough the prop dug as he drove deeper & deeper into the muck & it came to a stop. Looks like over 100' long.

Seems like I recall it cost like $2k.

Wow, not sure I would have ever thought "helicopter". My inclination would have been a high pressure water hose coupled with a tow boat.

Check your tracking fin screws. The fin may feel tight but a whack can start the process fo loosening the screws and that only leads to a bad place.

Yes Nibral props fold easily, but if you had a SS prop it wouldn't bend so easily, but it will damage other really expensive parts in the drive train real quick.

• Like 1

Wow, not sure I would have ever thought "helicopter". My inclination would have been a high pressure water hose coupled with a tow boat.

They did something like this to get under the boat & check the prop & rudder out. As I recall they actually pulled the prop off. But it was such a process they didn't think they could do it to turn the boat around & pull it 100+ feet out.

Im sure the insurance company covered the helicopter bill (minus the deductible) so it was probably easier to go that route than trying to dig out and drag the boat through the mud to try to get to open water. What killed me was when the video showed people walking through the mud and then getting inside the boat with muddy boots on.

Couldn't they just dig out a short channel to open water? 10 guys, a lot of beer, boat freed.

I can Just picture that, after a 100' trench! 10 drunken sailor's......and still a stuck boat.

Couldn't they just dig out a short channel to open water? 10 guys, a lot of beer, boat freed.

You ever dig in shallow water before? It's not exactly easy. Especially the distance they had to go. The original thread on WW had like 20 pages of conversation going on over the course of a few weeks. The situation just kept getting worse as the lake level went down.

As I recall the insurance company didn't pay anything for it. I don't recall their reasons, but lets face it, there really was nothing wrong with the boat. It hadn't been wrecked & was not really in any jeopardy.

Almost looks like they could have laid out plywood to the shore and brought the trailer out to get it ;)

Red Green would have got it out

The shallow area is in the middle of the lake. In the video you can see them set the boat down by the shore, where it was floating.