Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice between VTX / VLX / or?

H2oSki2Liv

I'm a former owner of a Response LX that was heavily used for slalom and in the last year spent more time being loaded up to wakeboard for friends and family. Now I am back in the market (buy anywhere from next 3 months to 18 months), and want a Malibu that will give a good pull and wake for slalom, but mostly be used for wake boarding and surfing. 5 in my family and you can figure an average of an additional 4 guests on the weekends.

I've done some searching on the board and read what I could find but still looking for some current comments.

I will definitely want to wet test all options and have not made any plans to do so yet. Expect to go to the dealership in the next few weeks. I would prefer to buy used, budget in the $40-50K range. Storage will either be on the water in a slip, or on the trailer (not in a garage).

Can any fellow MBO members help out with some comments/advice on things to look for, consider, and avoid? If I've left anything off that would be useful to answer on my end, just let me know.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a VLX candidate for sure. The extra space will be noticed first. The surf and wakeboard wakes will be marginally better on the vlx and the ski wake will be equally better on the VTX. You have to give a little to get a little as you go from one to the other. Get the diamond hull if you like to ski tho. Although it's debated heavily here, I feel that the wake and surf wave are hardly, if at all, affected by the diamond hull while the ski wake is noticeably better. My experience is on the 09-13 hull which may fall at the top of your budget. Hope this helps. Water test for first hand experience tho.

With 5+ friends I think the VTX will be a little tight for you. It's do-able, but as they grow up it'll be snug. I had 9 adults in my VTX last summer, and it was very tight to say the least. I agree with "isellacuras" on the hull options. Diamond is nice for skiing if any of your kids will be into skiing, (I am a skiier) but I feel like most kids just want to wakeboard and surf these days. I guess it depends on if you plan to continue to ski yourself, or if your kids are into skiing too. I have the wake hull, but if I could do it again I would go with the Diamond for skiing. Good luck!

Are you talking slalom as in a course, or just free skiing?

We had a response and moved to a 23lsv with the diamond hull. Surf and wakeboard much more now. My wife still likes to cruise the single ski and actually said she preferred the 23lsv wake since the bump, although higher, is wider and easier for her to manage? Never skied a course though!

How can you say VTX when the op says "but mostly be used for wake boarding and surfing". That there makes me recommend VLX over VTX. Crew size is number 2 to the wakeboard and surfing bias IMO.

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the responses so far. When I bought my Response LX I knew I was free skiing slalom 95% of the time with friends, and family out the remainder. The VLX has made me think that realistically I won't be able to slalom much (and not on a course at all), which means I need to be more practical about the crew on board.

Thanks isellacuras for your insight on the hull effect as well. Identifying the hull year is very helpful. No matter what, I know I must wet test. That's part of the fun though, right?

So the VTX will be tight, especially as the crew gets older. Does that mean a 23 VLX is a good option? To make it slightly more confusing for me for a moment, where does the LSV fit into any considerations here?

Much appreciation for the expertise shared!

No such thing as a 23VLX it is a 23LSV. The 23 will have a little wide and bigger wake. Both the LSV and VLX are known to have soft wakes at slalom speed. Your best bet is a diamond hull. This will help you get to know your boats better.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

I went from an Echelon LX to a VTX with a diamond hull a couple of years ago. The ski and surf wakes are great and it has more room than the old boat. If you really need more room then go with the VLX with the diamond hull if you can find one. And drive all of them before you buy. If you are used to a Response, the VLX and LSV are going to be giants.

If there are really 9 people on the boat routinely then I would think the feeling of driving a giant would disappear really quick. We have 3 kids that are bringing friends to the cabin now too and the added size of the 23lsv is a huge plus for us. Also, none of those kids even think of skiing. They all want to wakeboard and surf. Not sure if your situation is similar but it has worked really well for us to go from a response to a 23lsv.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. It's been a crazy work week...would be awesome to be out on the water to relax and enjoy.

So I've come to the conclusion I want a Wakesetter. Can you help me understand the diff between a LSV & a VTX?

VTX 20ft.

VLX 21ft. Although Sunscapes were called 21 LSV. More below.

LSV 23 or 24.7 as mentioned above.

Also Cummins mentioned the Sunscapes, which are on diamond hulls and better for skiing. But Wakesetters can also be ordered on a diamond hull, just to add some more confusion.

Only way to know for sure is an educated seller, calling in the hin, or visual identification found here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/diamond-vs-wake-hull-r9

Edited by jk13

VTX 20ft.

VLX 21ft. Although Sunscapes were called 21 LSV. More below.

LSV 23 or 24.7 as mentioned above.

Also Cummins mentioned the Sunscapes, which are on diamond hulls and better for skiing. But Wakesetters can also be ordered on a diamond hull, just to add some more confusion.

Only way to know for sure is an educated seller, calling in the hin, or visual identification found here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/diamond-vs-wake-hull-r9

I stand corrected. Forgot about the Sunscape being called the LSV as well.

Look in the resources area. Most specs and brochures are there and you can compare the models.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

Thanks again for this feedback. Need to narrow it down and start shopping!