Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How does Malibu Wire their stereo with a Perko Switch

old skool malibu

Thanks David. I was looking at that and thought it would be ok to use but wasn't 100%. I was able to get both wires on the common so I think I am golden.

Your good then.

I was able to fit all my lugs on the common and I have two 0 g wires for my amps also, but not knowing what type, size , thickness the lugs were its hard to predict from where I am at.

Cool deal and way to be handy there guy!

OK......One last time just to be clear. Connect all of the +'s that draw power to the common lug on the switch except for the bilge pump or can the bilge be connected to the common as well? What gage wire should be used from the switch to the batteries? I also got out of all of this that I can put a common ground in and connect everything there or I can just connect the negatives of both batteries? Thanks for the help!

GP

If you run the bilge to the common post, just remember that it won't work if the switch is off. probably fine that way if you don't spend a great deal of time on the water (i.e. day trips), but if you are moored, you might want to run the bilge right to the battery.

My bilge pump is on my switch and won't work if the switch is off. I just leave my switch on when we have the boat on the water for a long time (camping, houseboat trip, etc).

Gregg,

If you choose to have the bilge pump switched, rather than tie in the bilge pump at the battery switch output post consider tying it in with the input lug of the helm buss breaker. Here's why. I don't like to mix thinner gauge lugs (ring connector) with thicker gauge lugs on the same post, particularly a post with multiple stacked lugs. Generally the smaller gauge crimps are inferior in several respects and I don't like to stack them on a post with very high current flow (especially the starter). The best connection is at the base of the post and the nut at the top of the post. Any individual crimp in between might have a serious amount of the current flowing through it. I'm concerned about the thinner gauge crimps pitting over time.

• 1 year later...

For the starting batterys positive wire going to the switch, how are most positive wires hooked up at the battery, is the connection made using the battery post or terminal? Does it even matter?

If the cable is a pre-made cable with a top post clamp on it, use it, but dont go to the auto parts store and get those cheap replacement post clamps. Use a ring terminal that properly attached.

If the cable is a pre-made cable with a top post clamp on it, use it, but dont go to the auto parts store and get those cheap replacement post clamps. Use a ring terminal that properly attached.

With my boat none of the power/ground runs were pre-made with an integrated wire. They are all the bolt on sort, with a through bolt on the other side of the clamp where one or more ring-terminaled wires are terminated... like the ones in the top right corner in this pic:

battery_terminal.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

With my boat none of the power/ground runs were pre-made with an integrated wire. They are all the bolt on sort, with a through bolt on the other side of the clamp where one or more ring-terminaled wires are terminated... like the ones in the top right corner in this pic:

battery_terminal.jpg

Yes, the one in the upper right corner of your pic is whats commonly found on a Malibu from the factory these days. To cahallmw's question, i actually have no idea what he has in front of him cable end wise. He could have bulk cable and be making new ones, his 04 could have the original cables and someone has put new ends on or someone could have gone to the store and grabbed some pre-made car battery cables. My point was more to the most ideal cable end if one is needed, and thats a ring terminal. If his cables have rings and he both a threaded stud and the clamps pictured above, then use either as you said. Only down side to those clamps is if they do not get fully seated on the post, they have a habit of coming loose.

Yes, the one in the upper right corner of your pic is whats commonly found on a Malibu from the factory these days. To cahallmw's question, i actually have no idea what he has in front of him cable end wise. He could have bulk cable and be making new ones, his 04 could have the original cables and someone has put new ends on or someone could have gone to the store and grabbed some pre-made car battery cables. My point was more to the most ideal cable end if one is needed, and thats a ring terminal. If his cables have rings and he both a threaded stud and the clamps pictured above, then use either as you said. Only down side to those clamps is if they do not get fully seated on the post, they have a habit of coming loose.

gotcha. The "cheap post clamps" you are referring to are the ones where you sorta pinch a bare wire end into the clamp? I'm assuming all wires will have proper ring terminals and he's just deciding where to bolt them (which was why I said "doesn't matter). But yea I agree those friggin terminal clamps do come loose. I wish the batteries just came with three studs on top on each side.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I'm adding a battery switch and second battery; cutting the factory top post clamp off the positive for the engine and replacing it with a ring terminal so I can attach it to the common outpost on the switch. I was just wanting to determine how to get the best/proper connection from the starting battery to switch a Input. If I understand correctly, either terminal or post connections will provide a good enough connection for getting power to the switch.