Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ws420 hissing and popping?

Nwextreme

My shop has spent numerous hour trying to get the hissing and popping that's heard at lower volumes after installing the wetsounds eq. When they bypass the eq the problem goes away. They have been on the phone with wetsounds and have done everything they have suggested. Has anybody else run into this? Is it possible I have a bad unit (ws420)? Opening boating day next weekend and need to get this figured out...so frustrating..<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiss doesn't surprise me. Popping is a very different story.

It could save a lot of time to exchange the EQ with a temporary substitute. If the substitute EQ has the same 'popping' then you can remedy the problem within the installation.

Describe the 'popping' and if it is tied to any action or condition, like whether the boat key is engaged or not, running or not, etc.

Which version of the EQ? How old? New or used?

Popping on both EQ inputs? Through all speakers and zones, sub included? Both L & R channels?

I ordered it new from earmark 1 month ago. I believe it was the most recent model with the external wsBT hooked up to it as well. The popping is through all zones only at really low volume. I would say it's more than a ticking than a popping??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect the technical assistance you get from Wetsounds. Great service. But I would enlist Odin from Earmark Marine for help. Odin has been in the field, trenches so to speak, for decades. In the past he has spoke directly with the installing shop. This can speed things up considerably if they don't mind the input.

Again, it is important to know if the popping/ticking is also present with the key 'Off' or if they have attempted to wire it hot all the time in an effort to make this distinction.

Is the noise there only with the BT or also with a hardwired source.

So they got the clicking to go away by powering the head unit directly to the battery. They've done everthing imaginable including disconnecting perfectpass, depth finder etc and humming/hissing noise still present at"0" volume. The noise is present all the time not just while using BT. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nwextreme,

There is a step by step, systematic approach to determine exactly where the noise enters the signal path. It works every time. Once you know precisely where the noise enters, the resolution becomes much easier and faster.

Some degree of hiss at low levels may be a reality. But 'humming' is not a condition you have to live with.

Let Odin from Earmark help your local shop.