Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Syn 4 Rev10 issue

CJAY

Just do what sounds best to you. If they don't distort and they get loud enough, and you like the way it sounds, run it that way. It's your boat.

There is nothing wrong with running them full range if your not encountering distortion or clipping.

I'll play around with them. Dave knows much better than I. They just sounds very nice and well rounded now. Once I get them on the lake Thursday I'll have a better chance to really listen to them

It's when you are getting on the volume hard.. Say at the 50% level or higher that you really gotta watch those 8s. Them at full range trying to replicate 20-45hz is a waste of movement and power.

As a comprise, consider a high pass around 45hz. Kinda splits the difference... Filters out the freq's those 8s have no chance at doing well, yet captures the thump and mid bass you seem to like.

Clay,

There will be a point on the highpass filter where you will go low enough and there will be no more bass extension to be had. An 8" coaxial can certainly reproduce 50 Hz but not with any real amplitude. Even a typical 12-inch sealed sub is down in output level below 50 Hz and falling. Running the speaker below the point of its effectiveness, especially at higher outputs, will waste power and excursion. The dynamics and midrange will sound cleaner when you limit the bandwidth of the amplifier and the fullrange speaker. And that point is likely to be lower on an 8" versus a 6.5". It's not a matter of how low you can get the 8" coaxial to go. It's a matter of how well it performs above the subwoofer where you are dependent on the coaxial. Even at 100 Hz you can clearly hear the difference between how a 6.5" and 8" perform.

The other important issue is that with any high or lowpass filter you go through a phase rotation. Not abrupt like flipping the polarity, but a gradual rotation over the frequency range of the crossover filter. For this reason you will get much better sound quality by minimizing the overlap between the subwoofer and coaxial satellites. Also, along the same lines, I wouldn't want different crossover points for different speakers within the cockpit area. If all your cockpit speakers are 8" and the 6.5" is limited to the bow and pass-thru areas, then different crossover points will not create a conflict. Managing these type details can make an enormous difference in the end sound quality. You may not be able to identify all these subtle differences out of the gate but you will with a little time and experimentation. These are some of the basics of good audio.

Sounds good, thank you for the explanation. I'll change the 8s to high pass and bring down the hz to about 75, I have it right about 100 right now. I'm taking it out for it's first trip Thursday night, and took Friday off to break in the engine so we can start hitting the ballast and get the wakes dialed in. I'll take some time and make the changes then. I'll let you guys know how it goes.