Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Syn 4 Rev10 issue

CJAY

So I have a pair of rev10s on each side of the tower each running to one syn 4. When I turn up the volume the top speakers cones vibrate and have good bass, but the bottom ones sound all horn, no Bass. Below is a picture of how my amps are set up. I'm trying to see if maybe something is set up wrong, or what I can do. i dont' want to blow the lower ones

photo19_zpsf742d145.jpg

Your rear crossover is set to full and the front to high pass. My guess is the upper set are on the full and the lower on the high pass.

Both crossovers should be set to high and the crossover set to 80-100hz for a good starting point.

Also, check your gains and verify they are the same for both the front and rear. It looks like they are off a bit from the pic.

Your rear crossover is set to full and the front to high pass. My guess is the upper set are on the full and the lower on the high pass.

Both crossovers should be set to high and the crossover set to 80-100hz for a good starting point.

Also, check your gains and verify they are the same for both the front and rear. It looks like they are off a bit from the pic.

That was it, the changed the high pass to full and got kick out of the bottom ones, turned down the crossover, now just have to retune the gains.....

Already had one of my neighbors screaming and threatening to call the cops when I was tuning it earlier

Got a feeling the installer didn't do my sd6 right either, my 808s are way quieter than my 650s..............

Edited by CJAY

Ok I opened my SD 6, same issue, 1-3 were set to high, 3-4 set to high. Below are the pics of them, do I need a Y splitter to get the watts I want to 3-4?

sd61_zpsf2eb5d83.jpgsd62_zps9482b3bb.jpg

how many cabin speakers are you driving? Having a hard time figuring out why the gains aren't relatively close to one another (they seem to be set pretty far apart?).

I tried the syn4s on High and both were all horn

did you look at that x10 switch? That would be why ... because it would set the crossover 10x higher (all horn) vs full range. But if you set it back to 1x, then it will work correctly.

BTW, your installer owes us all a 6 pack.

I had this done "professionally"....... Supposedly they tuned it, have to retune the whole system. Not sure why they are so far off....

4 808s 4 650s

Edited by CJAY

did you look at that x10 switch? That would be why ... because it would set the crossover 10x higher (all horn) vs full range. But if you set it back to 1x, then it will work correctly.

BTW, your installer owes us all a 6 pack.

Doing that now

A couple of things.

First, you are going to have to retune the towers (they aren't really tuned because the settings are wrong). So turn the gains all the way down to min for now.

Then make sure that both of the sliders on the lower right are set in the middle to "BRIDGED."

Then set the xovers to 80-110. With two pair I set mine to 80... that gives more midbass but you give up a little bit of absolute projection. No biggie because you have two pair. Here we can't tell exactly except that the xovers are set way different. So you need to reset them at the same place.

Once you do that, then set the gains. Turn HU to 90%, fade to towers, then turn up gains till you hear distortion, turn back down till it's crystal clear. Might wanna wait till morning to do this part.

b1a35f24-266d-4861-ad37-0e0ac4d7f111_zps

A couple of things.

First, you are going to have to retune the towers (they aren't really tuned because the settings are wrong). So turn the gains all the way down to min for now.

Then make sure that both of the sliders on the lower right are set in the middle to "BRIDGED."

Then set the xovers to 80-110. With two pair I set mine to 80... that gives more midbass but you give up a little bit of absolute projection. No biggie because you have two pair. Here we can't tell exactly except that the xovers are set way different. So you need to reset them at the same place.

Once you do that, then set the gains. Turn HU to 90%, fade to towers, then turn up gains till you hear distortion, turn back down till it's crystal clear. Might wanna wait till morning to do this part.

b1a35f24-266d-4861-ad37-0e0ac4d7f111_zps

I've got a friend bring over his tuner tomorrow. That may help keep the neighbors from hating my boat more than they already do

the xovers and gains are still out of wack though (visually) much more than I'd expect of an arc (wetsounds) amp.

Oh yeah, I'm going to start from scratch on those in the morning

I gave up many years ago paying "professionals" to screw up my stereo and boat.

I paid once....... In 2004 and it was a healthy bill. 3500 bucks at the time with no tower speakers. Not only did I get a hack install, poorly tuned setup, but I also got a giant spider crack in the side of the boat from the "custom" sub box they built and screwed to the floor with the point jammed up to the side of the hull.

Best part is that didn't happen until half way through the season (Hull flexing around the point) .I took it to the dealer to have it looked at and the dealer had to inform me that I was on the hook for 1500 bucks to repair it.

After several go rounds with the shop, finally got them to pitch in half. Vowed I would never pay for a jenky install again. New boat in 05, did it all myself with 3 times the performance and came in under what I paid the year before....with tower speakers.

It's a sad deal, but the reality is there are very few shops that will make sure your system is dialed as good as it can possibly be . There is enough knowledge here, that if you are member and spend any amount of time here you should have no problem doing it yourself and making sure it's done right. Glad you got it figured out.

But there begins the slippery slope because when you DIY, you always know the next one could be a little better...

And no doubt, each one has been successfully better, and the layout and installation becomes easier and more refined each time.

This last one, all tough I did have quite a bit of time into it, was by far the best. Every aspect of it. I had near 80 hrs into the sub box alone. It will probably outlast the boat.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome.