Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull bottom, wax or ?

Worked for weeks now scraping and using vinegar to get something???? off the hull from last year either towing or from the water. Hard water deposits dried on the stuff and was awful to get off. Tryin to decide to wax the hull or just use 303 as I have done on another boat I once owned. Seems like the wax gave stuff something to stick to. I trailer it every outing and was thinking 303 as I can spray it weekly or every two weeks? Opinions and ideas appreciated. Gonna work on it this evening to finish the cleaning and then apply something for protection.

i think you will spend more time waxing than its worth. I would look into some of the hull cleaners that you spray on and rinse off. They are extremely toxic and may be hard to come by but work well. just my 2 cents, I'm sure other will chime in.

Half hydrogen peroxide and half clorox blue toilet bowl cleaner works great for getting the stains off. I use 303. It works pretty good but I still notice some staining towards the end of the season

I normally use Starbrite Hull Cleaner (found at Academy or Walmart) at the beginning of the season on the hull and then I wax it for a protective layer. Gel is porous so our dirty water around here will get in those pores and turn the hull brown about early in mid season if I do not wax it. About every other outing I will spray the hull with the Speed Gloss to help prolong the wax, but usually towards the end of season I start noticing the brown/tan tint to the bottom again, but just deal with it until I repeat the process in the spring. Waxing the bottom is not fun and I usually end up with a few knots on my head from all the trailer cross members but at least the hull starts off looking good!

I've tried the peroxide, etc. You need some kind of acid...muriatic or I think it's hydrochloric.

Do either at YOUR OWN risk. I have great success with them. However, it must be done outdoors with fans blowing away from you, using a mask, eye protection, skin protection and someone else around if you get into trouble. Highly dangerous. And try it diluted first. Do not even attempt to whiff it.

Again do this at your own risk,

Steve B.

Used the acid based stuff but man I'm telling ya whatever got on hull last year at end of season is nasty. Like subfloor adhesive or something and the hard water deposits bonded to it. Used that and then/now the vinegar as I ran out of the other 3M hull cleaner to finish the last of the hull. I use 3M Teflon wax for my boat and seems like the wax on hull just gave it all another layer effect. Was just curious as waxing under there sucks especially as noted between axles. Guess I will do a coat of wax and then 303 it every few weeks, or maybe just 303 period and spray weekly. Hoping this never happens again, 30yrs towing boats and this stuff on here was way worse than road tar ect...

I don't wax below the chine no point. As you get your boat to 20 mph after a fresh wax job it will be completely gone. Try this stuff called Slimy Grimy. If it's some type of glue? Wet sand it.

Check out the line of Marine 31 products. www.marine31.com

I had some very serious corrosion on my stainless steel trim pieces and their products worked wonderfully. After the stainless steel issue, I tried several other products and they worked great. I very rarely recommend products to others but their products have exceeded my expectations. (full disclosure; I have no financial interest in this company) Good luck!

I have always used bowl cleaner(hydrochloric acid) and it has always done the trick. But the boat I purchased last year has a hard deposit on it that I haven't encountered before. So far, more bowl cleaner and elbow grease is getting it off very slowly.