Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Learning on the air chair

isellacuras

This was my third day out on an old air chair. Im getting more comfortable so I figured I may as well go for it. Well I did. Hope you enjoy.

This one hurt:

Edit: sorry for the short poor quality clip at the end but I felt it showed the fierceness of impact.

Edited by isellacuras
  • Like 1

Good stuff!

Just a couple of things that will help. First & foremost, DON'T raise the handle on the jump. Keep it sitting on your knees.

And Don't be pushing on your feet. Looks like a a combination of these two are what happened on that last jump.

And last, try just jumping out in the flats with little or no cut. Work on starting high on the foil, dipping till the board just barely touches the water, lean back till the foil pops out of the water, keep your handle down on your knees, staying leaning back till you land, then AFTER you land, go right back to the leaning forward & handle high seating position (to recover). You don't really need to add a cut into the wake to do a jump, which adds a timing issue to the process. You were late on that last one, crashing the wake with the board. Looks like you panicked a bit when you realized that happened & pushed on your feet & raised the handle.

• Like 1

Yes. Last one hurt. I have the video of the boat pulling up to me after that fall but there was a little foul language so I didn't post it.

What speed are you going at right now??? I just started this year and only have managed short rides then falling on my side :(

I started at about 16-17 until I got the hang of it. Now I'm up to about 19-20 and I feel more stable. Non gps verified. This was only my third time out so I am probably the wrong one to be asking for tips and pointers.

• Like 1

I started at about 16-17 until I got the hang of it. Now I'm up to about 19-20 and I feel more stable. Non gps verified. This was only my third time out so I am probably the wrong one to be asking for tips and pointers.

anybody doing better than me is a good person to ask ;)

Best advice I think I got was to try to keep the board on the water at first. Don't try to foil until you are up and riding for a little while. I found it to be pretty stable once on plane. Oh, and "forget everything you now about any other watersports" was pretty helpful too.

• Like 2

I'm just talking about the initial ride. Just to get the feel of sitting. It's really kind of foreign compared to all other boat sport disciplines. Luckily I took to it pretty quickly. Some others that I have taken out were not so fortunate and kept falling to the side. I'm not sure if that's a balance thing or an over reaction when trying to compensate for another movement. Everything has to be smooth. I try to focus on the physics of the wing and keep everything else pretty relaxed. As for the jumping attempts, there wasn't much relaxation going on there.

• Like 1

I think the funnier clip was when the boat came back to me and I was laying there like a water angel moaning,and my crew, all of them concerned but laughing, asked me if I was ok. My response was something like "uuuuggggghhhh......, I think I'm ok. I just need to lay here for a bit. Uuuuugggggghhhhhhh...... That (exploitive) hurt!!" 10 min later I was out riding again. What's up Jalama? You ready to get out there on the chair and push me?