Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bluetooth

pawter1970

Hi,

Has anyone tried to stream music from Iphone through USB Bluetooth adaptor connected to the USB stereo port? Does it work and if yes how's the sound quality?

Also wondering what would be the best USB Bluetooth adaptor unit.

Cheers,

What head unit are you using. I think most of the head units I've seen will only allow you to connect a memory stick or a phone to the usb port. I've never heard of attaching a bluetooth to the USB and it actually working. Most systems have proprietary BT devices made specifically for the HU.

Hi pook77

My head unit (JBL MBB 3.45, located in the battery compartment) is not Bluetooth ready but I have seen Bluetooth USB devices and was wondering if the HU would read it from the USB connection in the glove box, also there is Bluetooth adaptors that can plug in into the 3.5mm jack. Just wondering if anyone has tried this, before I get into the project of snaking the Iphone/ipod wire from the HU to the driver side.

I think they are a better integration choice if you have an an existing head unit and remotes you would rather keep using.

If you want to get a new head unit, then of course a unit with built in Bluetooth would be a better option.

It's a pretty simple choice on a boat like yours with the arm rest mounted stereo.

Edited by Bobby Bright

I've never used a kenwood BT deck, but I have used sony, clarion, and pioneer. IMHO, sony has the very best BT sound quality of those three.

I was just looking on Sony's site. I didn't see a marine BT head unit. Did the Sony you had have the BT built in?

Shawndoggy, I thought I read somewhere the Fusion Bluetooth device wasn't compatible with my stereo but I guess if it works by simply connecting the RCA cables to the AUX Input on stereo it should work. it won't display songs and folders on the dash but who cares.......Just need to get 12v power to it. I should place this unit in the battery compartment with the HU?

dunno I've never actually used the fusion unit. Sure looks just like the marine version millenia tho. I would make sure it is powered and grounded from the same source as the black box. Where to put it... IMHO you don't want it behind/under a lot of structural stuff because that could limit range.

If you go with that one be sure to post up a review.

I'll look more into it and try to find out where the best spot would be for placement, would really want the unit where the HU is so need to know if the signal would still work from the driver side and seating area.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 23LSV with Maliview..IPhone 5 will not sync with unit. Iphone 3 and 4 worked fine. anyone have any experience with this problem? is there a Bluetooth adaptor anyone has tried that will sync up and still let you control playlists from the maliview head unit?

Edited by Lake Placid Crew
I'm relocating the head unit to under the dash. ZLD on one side, head unit on the other.

Ryan

If you are mounting it under the dash I don't see why you need a marine deck. Save some $$ and get an automotive deck.

Ryan

If you are mounting it under the dash I don't see why you need a marine deck. Save some $$ and get an automotive deck.

Wont it be open to the same humid environment? Direct water will still short a marine unit, but its the effects from the humidity over time that can take the tole on a non marine unit. Also, a lot of marine units have displays that are easier to see in sunlight and through UV sunglasses. Marine is still worth a consideration, regardless of install location. $.02

True MLA but if you have the ZLD under the dash I don't see why you go for the Marine deck. Also we have no humidity up here in AB... The air is soooo dry!

2010 23LSV with Maliview..IPhone 5 will not sync with unit. Iphone 3 and 4 worked fine. anyone have any experience with this problem? is there a Bluetooth adaptor anyone has tried that will sync up and still let you control playlists from the maliview head unit?

The iPhone 5 will work. The Bluetooth is finicky. Make sure you sync before entering on the code. Mine works it's just a pain sometimes

Edited by old skool malibu

True MLA but if you have the ZLD under the dash I don't see why you go for the Marine deck. Also we have no humidity up here in AB... The air is soooo dry!

I guess im missing something, because I dont see what an EQ has to do with using a marine head-unit or automotive head-unit. Even with head-unit thats mounted in the glove box, the back is located in a storage locker where damp items can get placed and left. IMO, boating on water is a humid environment.

Now, I would say that I see no reason to have a zone-control EQ and head-unit both mounted under the dash.

Ryan

Too late. Already ordered a marine HU. It has the built in Bluetooth, and also got a remote for the transom.