Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's over! And...She's home!

Slayer

True fact. I'm amazed at how much better this boat drives and feels in comparison to my old SSLX. HUGE difference.

In my humble opinion, nothing drives like an 03-06 lxi...I had an 05....drove better than a CB response, response lx, 196, 197, everything. freeboard and usable bow? Well, not so much! But drivability is out of this world. Unfortunately I have not driven a txi so it may be on par but I'm pretty sure its wider.

In my humble opinion, nothing drives like an 03-06 lxi...I had an 05....drove better than a CB response, response lx, 196, 197, everything.

I agree it's a fantastic boat to drive. It's not uncommon to have 3-4 hours in the drivers seat pulling sets at the ski lake. It's funny to see folks kinda fight for driving duty when my boat (or my bro's 03 RLXi) is there...can't say that happens when the other's have their boat pulling for the day.

I'd highly suggest spending some time getting everything dialed in - rudder tuned with your appropriate level of torque, make sure the shift cable engages at the right point, steering cable is perfect, etc. You'll have to add the PP tweak to the list when you add it.

I agree it's a fantastic boat to drive. It's not uncommon to have 3-4 hours in the drivers seat pulling sets at the ski lake. It's funny to see folks kinda fight for driving duty when my boat (or my bro's 03 RLXi) is there...can't say that happens when the other's have their boat pulling for the day.

I'd highly suggest spending some time getting everything dialed in - rudder tuned with your appropriate level of torque, make sure the shift cable engages at the right point, steering cable is perfect, etc. You'll have to add the PP tweak to the list when you add it.

You bring up some interesting points.

So far, steering cable is awesome! Much better than the SSLX with a new cable! Rudder torque...I'm clueless on the appropriate feel and adjustments. It has a good deal of torque currently however the steering wheel is not straight when the boat is traveling straight. I don't care for that and not sure how to remedy it.

PP will have to wait for next season.

So, it really is a bummer to bring a new boat home and then leave for a long weekend away from the family and away from the boat that you so want to spend time with.

In any case, I've mentioned previously that there is a little rash on the hull. Some is a result of the previous owner towing with the cover on. The other issues are related to the bow and keel rolers on the trailer. They are in need of replacement. I welcome any recommendations at this point for replacement. I'd like to get these components this week and may try to get them local if I can.

I've ordered some spectrum for the areas that need a little attention. There are 2 bad areas, one the size of a dime, and the other the size of a silver dollar. One is located directly above the bow eye and the other well below it. Aside from these 2 areas, where are the worst, there is another on the transom. It's below the platform, but something that I'll fix at the same time. I want it all right.

I'll be sure to take before and after pics of the conditions when I fix them. None will affect performance of the boat, so I'm not yet sure when I'll get them fixed. With any luck, I'll be done with all other cleaning efforts this weekend and hopefully get her on the hoist. Otherwise, it's going to be another week before she gets wet.

The other issues are related to the bow and keel rolers on the trailer. They are in need of replacement. I welcome any recommendations at this point for replacement. I'd like to get these components this week and may try to get them local if I can.

Highly recommend a polyurethane based roller like these or these. A couple other brands out there with different color but I love my oversized bow stop. Poly is absolutely the way to go. Quick and easy to replace.

Great looking boat! I'd take the same approach with the tower and roll with it for the time being. That said, if you decide to get rid of it, let me know!

This was a Michigan boat, right? Are you keeping the MC decals from the PO or ordering new? I just got my domed numbers in and they are really nice!

Great looking boat! I'd take the same approach with the tower and roll with it for the time being. That said, if you decide to get rid of it, let me know!

This was a Michigan boat, right? Are you keeping the MC decals from the PO or ordering new? I just got my domed numbers in and they are really nice!

I got it in MI, but it was bought new by the PO in Texas. I took the numbers off because he used mailbox numbers. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do for numbers. I like the domed numbers a lot. I just ordered numbers from 3D lettering for the sea doo and they came out really nice.

I'll keep you posted if I ditch the tower. It would fit your boat considering ours are the same width.

PM if you want to hook up sometime.

So, I just got back from doing a compound, polish, wax treatment on the starboard side of the boat, below the rub rail. I used all PBC products and have been very pleased with the performance. I used the crystal cut extreme compound, followed by crystal cut polish, followed by crystal gloss. All products were applied using a Porter Cable 7424 DA variable speed random. The compound was applied with a yellow pad (heavy cut), polish with an orange pad (medium cut) and gloss with a wax pad. The problem I have is that I have no good before and after pictures. I'll take some of the port side when I get to it.

As I mentioned previously, there was some gel coat rash from the PO towing with the cover on. All of that came out with the above method. I was pleased by that.The boat is going to look new when I'm done. While there still are some minor scratches that the compounding didn't remove, they're all below the water line and I'm not going to take any more time this season to mess with them. It will be a good fall project when I'm getting ready to winterize her. Now, I'm more interested in getting the interior and the carpets cleaned really well, assuming we get decent enough weather to leaver her outside uncovered for a nice sunny day. Also, I'm waiting for my spectrum to show up so I can fix the small gel coat areas that are in need of repair.

Pics to follow when I get into the other side of the boat. It's the worst side and the conditions will be better represented anyway.

It's done!!!

Thank god! It's seemingly taken forever for all matters to properly align to allow for me to grab a good boat.

Today, I completed the purchase of a 163 hour 2006 RLXI with a swoop tower, Monsooon 340, Wedge, tower bimini, and a jump seat. I could not be happier about the buy. For what I spent, I think I've gotten a great deal.

The boat is not pristine however it will be when I'm done. For any of you who have followed the "help me find my new boat" thread, you'll note that the new ride has some issues. She was towed at some point with a cover. Bad news, there. None of the rash is terrible and a good compound will get it right. No need to wet sand for those matters. However, there are some spots that may require a wet sanding. Most are below the waterline. No biggie, but I'm anal so I'll fix it.

There is also a dime size chip out of the gel coat that's in the black on the keel. While at rest, it's located below the waterline whereas on plane, it's above. I'm going to fix it myself using spectrum. There are 2 other spots, each of which approximately 2.5" long and 1/4" wide that need to be filled. Again, I'll do that myself using spectrum.

The carpet and vinyl are generally dirty. Not terrible, but not to my standards. I'll be working on that in the next week or so. As I do, I'll try to capture some before and after shots.

Outside of that, the boat is simply a touch dirty. I'll update this thread with before and after pics of various problematic conditions, all of which are easily remedied. That said, she's home now. Here are the most recent pics of the new boat. I'll update this thread as I get her where I want her. All I can say now is I'm super happy to have a world class slalom boat and look forward to many years of enjoyment out of her.....or at least until the TXi becomes more affordable.

:biggrin::cheers:

PS...don't mind the purple garage! It was like that when I bought it 2 years ago. Obviously, I had other plans with time and cash...oh...yeah....I had to put power out there to, so don't bust my chops on the color.....it's soon to change.

Finally is RIGHT...!!! :clap:

Looks GREAT and I LOVE the Tower....it is functional and totally out of the way....allows you to get in and out of the boat, without having to go around it...and it will not interfere with a boom....makes for great access when jumping in and out of the boat at 40+ mph.....

Now time to put on some tower speakers !!!

I got it in MI, but it was bought new by the PO in Texas. I took the numbers off because he used mailbox numbers. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do for numbers. I like the domed numbers a lot. I just ordered numbers from 3D lettering for the sea doo and they came out really nice.

I'll keep you posted if I ditch the tower. It would fit your boat considering ours are the same width.

PM if you want to hook up sometime.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone buys a great boat and puts mailbox numbers on it. It was the same with mine. I guess many just don't care, but that kind of stuff makes me (even more) crazy. I went with domednumbers.com because they had the matching strike-through font that the Sunsetter uses. Looks really sharp. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I'll shoot you a note sometime. I wouldn't mind comparing notes on these boats.

Congrats!!! Looks great. Now just replace the wakeboard racks with ski racks and you are set ;).

I actually really like the looks of that tower and if it keeps the wife happy, then keep it.

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me when someone buys a great boat and puts mailbox numbers on it. It was the same with mine. I guess many just don't care, but that kind of stuff makes me (even more) crazy. I went with domednumbers.com because they had the matching strike-through font that the Sunsetter uses. Looks really sharp. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I'll shoot you a note sometime. I wouldn't mind comparing notes on these boats.

Yes, please do! I'm interested in sharing notes as well.

Congrats!!! Looks great. Now just replace the wakeboard racks with ski racks and you are set ;).

I actually really like the looks of that tower and if it keeps the wife happy, then keep it.

Funny you should suggest that. The board racks are coming off, or at least one side, and being sold. Ski racks will soon follow as we plan to keep the tower for the season and see how we like it. Truth be told, I would prefer a different tower but as is, the skylon is certainly not horrible and is positioned such that short line skiers are not compromised by its location.

Well, the roll bar is going to stay only because it has a bimini attached to it. We'll see how it works out. I think the wife likes it, it's not horrible, but not desirable either.

In any case, I just got done doing a little work on the boat. I did end up wet sanding a few problem areas from the PO towing with the cover on. I took a couple before and after pics. I'll update tomorrow with those. Overall, I'm pleased with how it's cleaning up. So far, the entire boat from the rub rail to the outer most chine has been sanded where needed, rubbed, polished, and waxed twice. I'll have to do a little more work once the spectrum arrives, but that's no big deal. I was going to wait on doing what I did, but I simply couldn't.....I was to eager to see how well it cleaned up.

My next step is to get the vinyl and carpet done. Then, I'll polish and wax the deck and interior cabin area gel coat. I need to get the boat out of the garage to do that, though. We won't have decent enough weather for that until Sunday.

Pics are soon to follow.

Ok, here are the before pics. It's terrible lighting in the garage. That was a winter project I never got to because it was super cold and the garage is not heated.

In any case, this is what I started with. It was not terrible by any means, but I did do a brief wetsand of the problem areas with 2000 grit paper before rubbing, polishing, and waxing.

post-10400-0-64282400-1399118108_thumb.j

post-10400-0-55084200-1399118124_thumb.j

post-10400-0-20022100-1399118137_thumb.j

Edited by inlandlaker

Here are the 2 after shots I took. The pics are not great but the improvement is evident.

As I think about it, I wish I would have done a wet sand on the other side. I also wish I had better light. This fall, before she takes her winter nap, I'm going to do this again and get everything as straight as possible. It's going to it's summer home pretty soon, so I wanted to get as much done as possible before that. I'll pull it in July for a mid season wax.

post-10400-0-60493100-1399118475_thumb.j

post-10400-0-45028900-1399118502_thumb.j

Thank you! I hope to get the vinyl done tomorrow. I'm waiting for a nice, warm, sunny day to do the carpet. With any luck, I'll get her on the hoist tomorrow. Travel for next week is going to mess up all other chances I have.

So, this past weekend, I got nearly all the vinyl done. It's cleaned up nicely. I'm going to take a pic in the sun of the motor box and driver's seat so you all can see the filth. The seat looks yellow next to the cleaned motor box! I can't believe it. I knew it was dirty when I test drove it and thought it would clean up well. So far that's been true. Hopefully I'll get all the vinyl done and protected on Saturday. If it's going to be warm and sunny, I'm going to do the carpet, too.

Today, I received this upon my return from a business trip. I'm hoping to get this done on Friday night. I'll do all the prep tomorrow night so I'm not wasting time on Friday night. As I said previously, I've got a few spots that need attention that will never been seen unless the boat is on the trailer or someone's looking for them so I figure I'll get it taken care of now so it doesn't irritate me for the season.

post-10400-0-23229400-1399521110_thumb.j

Beautiful boat! I wish we could have hooked up last year for a pull behind my boat so I could have brought you over to the SSLxi side but I am quite sure you will be VERY happy with that beautiful lady. SO jealous that your boat is in the water. Mine is still in the garage, probably not getting wet until next weekend.

BTW, I vow that this is the summer that I get out with you, Tvanno, and JasonK. Not necessarily in that order.

Beautiful boat! I wish we could have hooked up last year for a pull behind my boat so I could have brought you over to the SSLxi side but I am quite sure you will be VERY happy with that beautiful lady. SO jealous that your boat is in the water. Mine is still in the garage, probably not getting wet until next weekend.

BTW, I vow that this is the summer that I get out with you, Tvanno, and JasonK. Not necessarily in that order.

Thanks! I would have been just as happy in an SSLXI as my RLXI. There are some benefits to the RLXI.......I can put it in the garage being one of them.

I completely agree. We should certainly do so. I say we make a day of it and play hooky for the sake of skiing!

I put the boat in today to ski it and took it right back out. The hoist went in today and requires a few adjustments before I park the boat there. It was so stinking windy today that putting the canopy on would not have been fun at all.

• Like 1