Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow filler cushion

buckhorn

Please help me understand the bow filler cushion.

My RLXi doesn't have one.

I've never had a boat that had one.

I assume it makes lounging more comfortable?

Since you can't sit, does it make riding in the bow less comfortable?

Is it worth trying to find someone to make me one?

Do they cave in if a heavyweight steps on the center of it?

Wish the boat came with a jump seat and a bow filler cushion, but then maybe they would just be piled up in the corner of my garage gathering dust......

Thanks.

I'm curious about this as well. What's the easiest way to construct one? I've seen essentially what amounts to a cushion on a box, but I'd rather have the ability for storage underneath.

Depends on the boat. I also have an RLXi and it's pretty much a slalom tractor only. The filler cushion and rear bench are stored. IMHHEO nobody should be allowed up front unless you're docking. I wish I had a jump seat. The one thing I like on PS197's over the RLXi is the center seating.

I'd like a bow filler too. I might fab one up next year.

Meanwhile, you can have Chee make up a jump seat for you. Excellent quality, and surprisingly not very expensive. Bozboat and I each had one made up last spring:

post-8942-0-42560800-1398342893_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-54907300-1398342911_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-11934500-1398342919_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-91438200-1398342932_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-65777100-1398342943_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-18879500-1398342949_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-73236800-1398342954_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, what supports the center bow cushion when you put it in a boat without a bow tank? Mine isn't really an option since there is a bow tank in the boat, but I don't remember there being any sort of support structure for one in my FILs RLxi

Out of curiosity, what supports the center bow cushion when you put it in a boat without a bow tank? Mine isn't really an option since there is a bow tank in the boat, but I don't remember there being any sort of support structure for one in my FILs RLxi

Sits on the edge of the fiberglass, which sticks past the bow seat cushions.

Sits on the edge of the fiberglass, which sticks past the bow seat cushions.

Ah - so if you use a center cushion then the side cushions must be smaller than the ones in my FIL's RLXi - because there is no ledge sticking out beyond his cushions. Not something you could just add later without replacing all of the bow cushions?

I have both. Centre bow stays in all the time. Nice for lounging on. And the jump seat

is very handy in the centre walkway for crew when out on our disciplines, then move it behind

the driver seat for cruising.

It's on my boat 0% of the time :)

:plus1:

Dock lines, fenders, and anchors are stored under the bow seats. Standing provides much easier access to them versus crawling on my knees.

:plus1:

Dock lines, fenders, and anchors are stored under the bow seats. Standing provides much easier access to them versus crawling on my knees.

Interesting how we all do things so differently. I keep the dock lines, fenders & anchor in the rear corner seat, passenger side. Bow area has the disco ball, a couple blocks of lead (40 lbs each), spare rope & handle, a couple orange keyhole vests, 2nd anchor, and other miscellaneous stuff. None of which I mess with very often. So the bow cushion is in there 100% of the time.

When I had a 205, the rear seat was stored in the garage a lot.

Interesting how we all do things so differently. I keep the dock lines, fenders & anchor in the rear corner seat, passenger side. Bow area has the disco ball, a couple blocks of lead (40 lbs each), spare rope & handle, a couple orange keyhole vests, 2nd anchor, and other miscellaneous stuff. None of which I mess with very often. So the bow cushion is in there 100% of the time.

When I had a 205, the rear seat was stored in the garage a lot.

Well of course it does!

• Like 1

For those of you not using yours, I'll gladly buy it from ya, assuming the color somewhat matches :biggrin:

...but I'm like 95% certain that my bow seats overhang the fiberglass, so I'd have to build a box. I'll check today.

Thanks all for the help.

I'll see how we use the boat this summer, and decide then if we would use a bow cushion.

Didn't need one on my last boat, closed bow Nautique.

But I think the cramped closed bow 19' boat was part of the reason we quit going out much over the last few years.

But I think I need one of those jump seats.

Maybe then we could leave the back bench at home.

Damn. My bow seats overhang quite a bit. And at it's narrowest, the distance between cushions is only like 5 or 6 inches. Would be a weird looking box/cushion setup.